What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

Loudstrat

Coach
Going by legend, Souths. I saw him play at the end of his career with Beetson at Easts. Beetson completely over shadowed him.

Craig or Dean Young?

Billythekid

First Grade
Craig by a long way for mine. Dean Young may be more versatile but he never came close to reaching the heights that Craig did in a single position.

Dean Young is a good club player who should never have made representative football.

jono

Juniors
Dad and Dean playing totally different positions so you have to compare what they brought to their teams. Would Dragons have won in 77 & 79 without Albert and in 2010 without Dean? I think Dad wins it on that premise.Both great players though.
Steve Ella or Greg Inglis?

Billythekid

First Grade
Dad and Dean playing totally different positions so you have to compare what they brought to their teams. Would Dragons have won in 77 & 79 without Albert and in 2010 without Dean? I think Dad wins it on that premise.Both great players though.
Steve Ella or Greg Inglis?

For finals games or rep games Inlgis, for everything else Ella.

Wishart or El masri?

Packy

Bench
As usual tough one. Woolford was probably more creative but Perry was a tough little bugger.

Both at times had amazing teams to play in. Going to edge towards Perry (probs bias).

Peter Tunks or Peter Kelly?

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Tunks was a pretty tough bugger, I'll give it to him.

Darren Smith or Tonie Carroll?

Carroll, at his best his defense could change games. When he stood next to Lockyer he made that side a defensive beast even when Lockyer couldn't tackle for sh*t.

Tallis or Ben Kennedy?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Qld geniuss will cry but Tallis was always terribly over rated. I hardly ever saw him take a hit up in his own half and rarely into the opposition pack. Dave Taylor is Tallis Mark II IMO. So I go with Kennedy

Ettinghoussen or Renouf?

Titanic

First Grade
Even though it pains me to admit it, although Renouf could play, Ettingshausen because he wasn't surrounded by a truly excellent Bronco's team and Kennedy was streets better than Tallis.

Noa

First Grade
People have a short memory.

Tallis was pretty much unstoppable there for a while in the late 90's, best player on one of the all-time great teams no less.

Not much between them, Kennedy more rounded, Tallis more destructive.

Loudstrat

Coach
For finals games or rep games Inlgis, for everything else Ella.

Wishart or El masri?

Closest thing to a dead heat in this thread IMHO. Wishart has the edge in play, Hasem the edge kicking goals. Have to say Wishy because of his Test records in an era of so many other great wingers.

Mule Hosking or Steve Simpson?

typicalfan

Coach
Closest thing to a dead heat in this thread IMHO. Wishart has the edge in play, Hasem the edge kicking goals. Have to say Wishy because of his Test records in an era of so many other great wingers.

Mule Hosking or Steve Simpson?
David Hosking is one of those players people tend to think was unlucky not to get the reward in terms of rep jerseys that justified his ability. Simpson did though and he was very athletic, injury cruelled him but on his day he was a top backrower. At full fitness I would pick Simpson.

Luke Patten or Clinton Schifcofske

Vic Mackey

Referee
Definetaly patten. Was unfortunate to play in a time of really top fullbacks otherwise would have played some rep footy

Paul sironen or Willie mason?

Titanic

First Grade
Sironen in an era where he had to compete week in week out without the incentive of big bucks or the limitation of an overgrown ego.

Back on Tallis, he was unstoppable in half a competition ... even as a Queenslander he was hardly irreplacable. Kennedy at least had flair.

Noa

First Grade
Back on Tallis, he was unstoppable in half a competition

:lol: 12 tries in 16 games in 95, 5 of which were off the bench. 9 in 8 the year before. Arguably the best player on one the best teams of all time, the 98 Broncos (a unified comp btw)

... even as a Queenslander he was hardly irreplacable.

So replaceable they won 4 out of 7 series while he was at his peak then lost 2 in a row when he retired (3 if you count his final year when he was gone)

Kennedy at least had flair

Pfft, who gives a f**k about a flair if your running over 3 or players and setting up a team mate or scoring the try yourself. In the end you still get 2 points for a win and 4 points for a try

The fact kennedy finsihed his career playing so well (in comparison to Gordy) and that Tallis makes himself look like a dickhead on TV seems to have coloured the view of most of how good he was.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
As a Knights and NSW fan i personally believe Tallis at his peak was better than Kennedy but there is nothing with having a preference to either player.

A backrow of Tallis and Kennedy with Clyde at lock is as good as the past 20 years gets.

Latest posts