What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

anjado

Juniors
I personally think Brisbane 92 myself on the back of having Langer in the side.

Who would win

St George 96 or Canterbury 98 ?

Mullins...could score a try from anywhere. Belcher was better defensively.

I pick Mullins.

Glen Lazarus or Petro Civoneciva.

Big Pete

Referee
Just on the 92 & 00 comparison, both sets of backlines were all representatives albeit I think what PF is getting at is that 92 were all current or recent reps. where as the 2000 players were all a year off such honours.

It's interesting because both sides were so different. 92 was really flamboyant but versatile enough to be able to grind which is what sealed their victory. Where as 00 was all about the grind and you won't find much better in premiership history at it. They applied that gameplan to a tee and had some of the best in the biz to do so but what decides it here for me is how much the 00 Broncos relied on unlimited interchanges. When that was brought in, we lost our way and weren't the powerhouse we were that season.

92 because they could adapt. I reckon 92 vs. 98 is a better comparison in any case. Both played similar brands and both had different strengths and weaknesses.

96 Dragons vs. 98 Bulldogs is an awesome comparison. I preferred Polla-Mounter's form to Mundine, thought Price & Britt stood up more than any Dragons forward & Silva was a bigger threat at the back. Depending on the mood, Dogs by a miracle conversion from the sideline in the last minute of extra time.

I like Coyne but ET could play 1-5 and was good in every position. Coyne was a reliable player, very much in the mould of Bowman which would make a fairer comparison but ET on a whole other level.

Belcher overall was more reliable than Mullins and played a bigger role for his side. Mullins is a better highlights package player but I don't think he was the best fullback in the world as long as Belcher.

EDIT: Ahh new posts.

Agreed with Lazo, achieved more success elsewhere although it's extremely close.

I'll echo Mark Graham vs. Paul Sironen

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sirro by far IMO

Have Qlders ever picked a nsw player in a nsw v qld player option? I think most of them would pick Shane perry over Andrew johns..

Brad thorn v Willie mason

Red Bear

Referee
Riddell was better than Drew.

Mick Hancock or Rod Wishart ?.
Wishart any day, king of Wollongong

Hancock was a deadset legend.. as were all those broncos of that era in the 90's..

Wishart was always so dangerous when playing for NSW..

Tim Brasher was another cracker player.. always looked so dangerous for NSW.
Brasher would be my favourite fullback (or maybe Minichiello at his peak). used to love him playing for the Blues, dangerous, quick and enthusiastic. Was better than Lockyer in the late 90's (although different stages of their careers obviously)

96 Dragons vs. 98 Bulldogs is an awesome comparison. I preferred Polla-Mounter's form to Mundine, thought Price & Britt stood up more than any Dragons forward & Silva was a bigger threat at the back. Depending on the mood, Dogs by a miracle conversion from the sideline in the last minute of extra time.

I like Coyne but ET could play 1-5 and was good in every position. Coyne was a reliable player, very much in the mould of Bowman which would make a fairer comparison but ET on a whole other level.

Belcher overall was more reliable than Mullins and played a bigger role for his side. Mullins is a better highlights package player but I don't think he was the best fullback in the world as long as Belcher.

EDIT: Ahh new posts.

Agreed with Lazo, achieved more success elsewhere although it's extremely close.

I'll echo Mark Graham vs. Paul Sironen
You obviously didnt see Mundine tear your side apart sitting in the stands with 3 generations of supporters hoping to se eyour side make their first grand final in 53 years :(

Agreed on lazerus, if there was any player you wanted to sign in the 90's it'd be him, just a genuine winner and quality prop forward.

I'd take Mason from 02-04 but Thorn wins on consistency

Ricky Stuart vs Allan Langer

Big Pete

Referee
Vic Mackay said:
Have Qlders ever picked a nsw player in a nsw v qld player option?

Dunno, maybe if you bothered to read you'd know the answer.

Stuart/Langer is a classic comparison and bloody tough.

Stuart is the type of player I prefer because skill-wise he was one of the best of all time and as a playmaker doesn't get enough wraps. Awesome long distance kicking game & great long distance passing.

Langer ended up with the better career and was more of a match winner for his club but gimme Stuart on his day.

Martin Lang vs. Danny Nutley

Red Bear

Referee
Maybe Nutley, both good honest players although Lang really was just straight lines.

Adam Dykes or Mitch Healey

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Timmins whose parents were siblings or Tunza with the mammoth underbite?

I'd take Carroll for the lethal defense.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Nathan Merritt over Amos

Luke Ricketson vs Dallas Johnson
Ricketson as he was a 1-club player and spent his entire career in the NRL, played at every level, and didn't run off to England. Add to this he wasn't as injury prone as Johnson.

Darren Lockyer vs Brad Fittler

betcats

Referee
Ricketson as he was a 1-club player and spent his entire career in the NRL, played at every level, and didn't run off to England. Add to this he wasn't as injury prone as Johnson.

Darren Lockyer vs Brad Fittler

Fittler, He was never a speed hump.

Scott Prince or Brett Kimmorley.