What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Not to mention an Australian over a kiwi- no doubt there's a bit of bias going on here but oh well this thread is still gold
Sterling or thurston?

Thats a good one.

I really cant split them. Sterlo was a genius and a general. Thurston can lose it a bit sometimes.

I'd say Sterlo for his temprament. Jack Gibson said he was the best he ever coached.

Red Bear

Referee
Havent really seen enough of Sterlo to fully judge that one. Still, he seems under rated in terms of halfback, dad rates him above almost any other halfback and he must've been bloody good.

Seem like pretty different sorts of players though

Canard

Immortal
Originally Posted by Vic Mackay
Have Qlders ever picked a nsw player in a nsw v qld player option?

Id go with virtually anyone from NSW over Carl Webb.

As for Sterlo v JT, you would have to give it to Sterlo right now, when Thursty retires hopefully with a few more rings it will be a closer race!

Chris Flannery v Aaron Raper

Jason Maher

Immortal
Timmo, by reason of extreme bias.

Seriously though, he was a fore-runner to Dean Young, in terms of giving his absolute all for the Red V with a completely busted body. Dunno how he ever got picked at 5/8 for NSW, as I watched his entire career from his early days with the Steelers, and I never saw him pass the ball.

I hated Tonie Carroll, but he was a very good player and punishing defender. He was to Lockyer what Beau Scott was to Soward.

Peter Sterling vs Steve Mortimer

Tommy Smith

Referee
Sterlo over Turvey for sure. Both great players but Sterlo was the more skillfull.

Fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh?

Tommy Smith

Referee
If not for his injuries then Tuiaki for sure. He was a weapon during his top try scoring season. Utai is such a liability under the high ball. Plus he's a massive merkin for ruining my 2004 GF Premiership dreams.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Hindmarsh for sure. Had a much longer career filled with more rep honours, and was generally a lot better in defence and similar to Fitzy in attack. The fact that Hindmarsh will inspire the Eels and be a club legend for many years, while Fitzy is basically forgotten at the Roosters show Hindmarshs superiority.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hindmarsh for sure. Had a much longer career filled with more rep honours, and was generally a lot better in defence and similar to Fitzy in attack. The fact that Hindmarsh will inspire the Eels and be a club legend for many years, while Fitzy is basically forgotten at the Roosters show Hindmarshs superiority.
:lol::crazy::sarcasm::lol:

A true club legend who will be remembered by Roosters faithful as long as Ray Stehr or Arthur Beetson.

The length of career shouldnt be the sole factor. Andrew Johns "only" played 249 FG games but was arguably the best ever. Also Fitzy was MUCH better than Hindy in rep football. He dominated for NSW whereas Hindy failed to establish himself for the most part.

Ultimately id take Fitzy but its close. But im biased, obviously. I just think he lifted his game so much for the big matches. Clive Churchill Medal, NSW Player of the Series... A great goal kicker as well.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fitzgibbon every day of the week

Hopoate Snr vs Hopoate Jnr
Atm you'd have to take Hopppa Sr. But in 10 years time there will be little doubt that Hoppa Jr will overtake him...so long as he comes back and makes a go of it.

Hoppa Jr is much more talented. The ultimate modern day back.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I still f**king hate the Roosters for pinching Fitzgibbon (and John Simon before that).

Paul Smith or Matthew Wood

Desert Qlder

First Grade
David Peachey, while he did not enjoy the same level of success or honours the other two did, was probably the classiest of the three. A glorious runner of the footy and is proving post-playing career to be a man of considerable substance.

Paul Green or Noel Goldthorpe?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Paul Green. He won us a Premiership in 2002 by tearing his ACL in rnd 1, thus shifting Wing to halfback. His finest career achievement.

Lewis, Fittler then Lockyer. I dont really consider Lockyer in the same class as Lewis or Fittler as a 5/8. Defense is 50% of the game and whereas Lewis and Freddy dominated like a forward, Lockyer was a liability. They were both also far more dangerous taking on the line.

Latest posts