What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
No contest, Watson was a true pommie international thug Wittenberg was a plodding dinosaur ... should have been Cliff Watson or Jim Morgan.

Johnny Raper or Ray Price?

Nah, I thought about Watson vs Morgan but seeing as though Cliffy just owned Morgan every time they played it would be a no contest.

Raper by the length of the straight.

Gary Dowling or Graham Eadie?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No need to expand, had no problem with your opinion. That one could be argued ad infinitum.

Very different players in teams with very different needs.

I'll go Tommy. He was slightly more prolific as a try scorer over his career. He arguably carried heavier burdens as he didn't have the quality of cattle around him and he made players rather than serve players as Billy was so good at.

Cliff Watson or John Wittenberg
No worries, just comparing.

Tommy did have to play with a rougher side but Billy did score something like 50 tries a season before Saints decided to grade him. Plus he always played above his weight.

Forgot to mention that Reg Gasnier also played on heavier pitches, wore boots laced up above the ankles and had to deal with deeper studs. And yet, he had acceleration off the mark that left everyone for dead. If he played nowadays with a deeper defence line, he'd kill it.

Wittenberg vs Watson: Watson by virtue of his GB record - during a time when the old dart was a force. Didn't he played something like 400 games?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
No worries, just comparing.

Tommy did have to play with a rougher side but Billy did score something like 50 tries a season before Saints decided to grade him. Plus he always played above his weight.

Forgot to mention that Reg Gasnier also played on heavier pitches, wore boots laced up above the ankles and had to deal with deeper studs. And yet, he had acceleration off the mark that left everyone for dead. If he played nowadays with a deeper defence line, he'd kill it.

Wittenberg vs Watson: Watson by virtue of his GB record - during a time when the old dart was a force. Didn't he played something like 400 games?

442 games for St Helens, Cronulla and GB combined. I used Wittenberg as a comparison because of the battles they has in the late 60s and 1970 when footy was a different, arguably tougher, game. Wittenberg would of played more tests if the Queenslanders handed tried to block his transfer to Saints which led to him sitting out the 1967 season entirely. This included a Kangaroo tour he would probably have been selected for.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Ellery Hanley or Brad Fittler?

That is one of the better and more difficult comparisons I've seen. Both had distinguished club and representative careers and were both winners.

I'll take Hanley because of his success in three positions and across continents. But only by a whisker.

In the spirit of your match up - Kevin Sinfield or Danny Buderus?

@MarTiger

Juniors
That is one of the better and more difficult comparisons I've seen. Both had distinguished club and representative careers and were both winners.

I'll take Hanley because of his success in three positions and across continents. But only by a whisker.

In the spirit of your match up - Kevin Sinfield or Danny Buderus?

Thank you. On Hanley, he was the caliber of anyone playing for Australia and would have held his own in any era such was the gifts this man possessed. Big, fast, second-to-none fend and a rugby league IQ on par with any of the greats. I put him up against Fittler as they covered the same positions when asked (centre, five-eight and lock).

Danny Buderus over Sinfield. Buderus has done it all in the toughest arena's the game can offer and shone brighter than just about anyone at his position outside of QLD. Sinfield, like Fielden and others, will not be placed higher than his peers who did it in Australia. I just can't do it.

Lambretta

First Grade
Who was better is the question right? Benji Marshall or Mat Rogers?

I will go with the premiership and Golden Boot winning maestro from the Wests Tigers who is a genuine superstar of the game. Rogers was a good, very good at times though he was not the player Benji Marshall is or is going to be.

Depends on how you measure better - that's why I asked the question of two players that offered completely different talents to a team. Benji is the freakish individual that does things that take your breath away - whereas Rogers offered things that made other players seem to be better players for his presence. In team sports that can be just as powerful.

Still, I think the majority have spoken and I tend to agree.

Willie Mason or Andrew Ryan (on ability not popularity)

@MarTiger

Juniors
Depends on how you measure better - that's why I asked the question of two players that offered completely different talents to a team. Benji is the freakish individual that does things that take your breath away - whereas Rogers offered things that made other players seem to be better players for his presence. In team sports that can be just as powerful.

Still, I think the majority have spoken and I tend to agree.

Willie Mason or Andrew Ryan (on ability not popularity)

This is a good one.

Willie Mason at his devastating best I take every time though he lacked consistency where Andrew Ryan was the epitome of consistency and was a 70-80 minute player you could bank on for 20-25 tackles and as many hit-ups. I take Bobcat. If we're talking underrated, Bobcat Ryan lives up to the billing.

David Fairleigh and Adam Muir?

anjado

Juniors
David Fairleigh for me quite easily i was a big fan of Adam Muir but i think he was a level below Fairleigh.

Peter Coyne or Tony Smith ?

massive bump

Latest posts