What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

gitano

Juniors
Beau Henry was a freak in the NYC. Barely pub quality once he turned 21.

From a while ago Junior Langi.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Some selective memories here.....

That Wynnum Manly team of the 80s would have given many NSWRL teams a shake.....

Wally Lewis, Greg Dowling, Gary Coyne, Gene Miles, Colin Scott, Terry Butler, Ian French, Brett French were all Origin players....

The Souths team they flogged in the 84 Grand Final had Meninga, Belcher, Bob Lindner, Peter Jackson.....

Mr Spock!

Referee
Kenny was never his bitch. It was the other way around. Check the results for games they were both at 6.

You mean the 2 series.....probably why Lewis was test 5/8th over Kenny..

Kenny more the prima donna getting service outside Sterling.

Lewis was the whole package who did it himself.

kdalymc

Bench
Some selective memories here.....

That Wynnum Manly team of the 80s would have given many NSWRL teams a shake.....

Wally Lewis, Greg Dowling, Gary Coyne, Gene Miles, Colin Scott, Terry Butler, Ian French, Brett French were all Origin players....

The Souths team they flogged in the 84 Grand Final had Meninga, Belcher, Bob Lindner, Peter Jackson.....

The Tooraweenah Wombats might give the GC Titans a run for their money too, still doesn’t change the fact Lewis debuted at 45 and retired 4 years later

Edit-just looked it up and he was actually 28 and retired at 32 pretty young really

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
This will get some laughs
But how about Ricky Stuart as a coach

I fear his reputation as a player will be overcome by his reputation as a coach
But this as a smart and innovative a footballer as you’d see

Injuries robbed him of having the longevity but at his peak, he was as good as it gets in terms of a controlling, attacking, and aggressive half
Brilliant football mind. And yet, can not coach at all

T.S Quint

Coach
The title of this thread seems to be a bit misleading, judging by quite a lot of the players mentioned. Some have played many seasons in FG, some for their state, some for their country.

I read it as players who looked like world beaters in the lower grades, and maybe had even played a few good games in the top grade, but never reached the heights expected of them.

Beau Henry, Richie Williams, Jakob Loko...these were the names I think fit the title well. Not so much Ali Lauititi, Jamal Idris or Feleti Mateo, all of whom have definitely 'made it'.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Michael Withers from a time long gone. Aust Schoolboys capt and I thought was going to kill it. Had a mediocre career in UK.

I played cricket against Michael Withers after he came back from the UK. I remember he was really lean when he started out. When he came back from the UK, he was easily 100KGs plus... He smacked a century against us, I dropped him in the 90's lol..