What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will provide better value for money - NABULI or MORRIS

mickeylane

Bench
Will the $600,000 winger or the $60,000 winger offer more value this year to their respective clubs..?

I have a very funny feeling that Brett Morris will struggle this year w being played out of position and won't offer the Bulldogs the return they're looking for where I really believe Nabuli could end up being the find of the year and therefore offering unbelievable value at. $60,000..

I think the Dragons recruiting has been questionable at best but letting go of Morris at $600k and now Merrin could prove to be wise moves and allowing us to develop younger players in their positions..

Spare a thought -if we retained Morris u would have never of heard of Nabuli..

Well done Dragons recruitment (on this occasion)

hazzbeen

Bench
Nabuli is there to score tries ..In saying that Morris is probably the best winger in the world, but is there that much difference between the two of them . Nabuli is big fast and athletic and I think will get better. He will score tries, so 600,000 vs 60,000 big difference in price but I dont think winger wise that much difference.....

TruSaint

Referee
Nabuli is there to score tries ..In saying that Morris is probably the best winger in the world, but is there that much difference between the two of them . Nabuli is big fast and athletic and I think will get better. He will score tries, so 600,000 vs 60,000 big difference in price but I dont think winger wise that much difference.....

I agree .
However lets not get ahead of ourselves here, as hazz mentioned.

Morris is without a doubt one of the finest wingers I have seen. Put aside his departure to the enemy, he is a huge loss.

Eto, has talent. From the little that I have seen... could be a real surprise. BUT, he hasnt been tested yet at 1st grade level. The justification of a massive gap between the 2 in salary, will become a talking point soon. Value for money ? Hope so.

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
Although I would take BMoz back in a heartbeat. I think Nabuli will be great bang for buck for the club. Has an insane strike rate of ~80% in scoring a TRY back in the NSW cup. And so far he's scoring at a similar rate for us. Pretty pumped about him after some of the TRY's he scored and set up over in Auckland :D

BennyV

Referee
Lol.

First of all, we wouldnt have been paying Morris $600k, he was contracted for $400-450k.
Second, Nabuli would be on more than $60k. Likely around the $100k mark.
Third, Morris value to us as a winger and one club player is different to his value to the dogs as a purchase and a fullback.

And finally, if a try saved is as good as a try scored, Morris is more valuable than any winger in the comp. Even with the cost difference, would take him over Nabuli, or anyone else at that.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Waaaay to early to be asking who is the better value. I just hope that eto can fill most of the gap left by Bmoz. He certainly will not fill all.

Mr Red

First Grade
Lol.

First of all, we wouldnt have been paying Morris $600k, he was contracted for $400-450k.
Second, Nabuli would be on more than $60k. Likely around the $100k mark.
Third, Morris value to us as a winger and one club player is different to his value to the dogs as a purchase and a fullback.

And finally, if a try saved is as good as a try scored, Morris is more valuable than any winger in the comp. Even with the cost difference, would take him over Nabuli, or anyone else at that.

Well said

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Way too early to say who is better value.

But I think Nabuli is already 27? He ain't exactly a spring chicken in league years, he needs to learn and learn fast.
And I still need to see him break clear and score a 80-100m try, just like Morris did. He was good for us in the 9's, but I'm sure he was run down once or twice.

stg666

Juniors
even at 100,000 i would take nabuli . 500,000 odd left for the up and comers , rather than them pissing off to other clubs. morrie was legendary for us but......that is a lot of moolah .

GT0007

Juniors
Way too early to say who is better value.

But I think Nabuli is already 27? He ain't exactly a spring chicken in league years, he needs to learn and learn fast.
And I still need to see him break clear and score a 80-100m try, just like Morris did. He was good for us in the 9's, but I'm sure he was run down once or twice.

I agree it's way too early. He did get run down though he has a knack of turning a chance into a try. He may pick up a lil pace given this is his 1st offseason with an NRL side. Not saying he's slow but he's not as quick as Morris. He's certainly got plenty of potential given he's 26 which is not that old. He's also only played 2yrs of NSW Cup so he's still learning the game.

For me the player who wins you games gives you the best value, even if u got a player for free who can't win you games it's false economy.

Minh

First Grade
I agree .
However lets not get ahead of ourselves here, as hazz mentioned.

Morris is without a doubt one of the finest wingers I have seen. Put aside his departure to the enemy, he is a huge loss.

Eto, has talent. From the little that I have seen... could be a real surprise. BUT, he hasnt been tested yet at 1st grade level. The justification of a massive gap between the 2 in salary, will become a talking point soon. Value for money ? Hope so. and think so.

Good post, Morris was a natural and one of the best, he is not now to me now that he has left. Nabuli looks promising but week to week FG is a high step up in class but i believe he has the talent and the potential to erase the pain of losing Morris.

TheRev

First Grade
I dont really understand all the Nabuli-mania going on pre-season, the guy is strong and fun to watch, but hes also slow to turn and questions on his hands, that puts him in the same bracket as Daniel Vidot, who virtually cost us a season with his defence and handling.

I hope he kicks on, and I hope he can bring something "different" to the table i.e. his strength/height is able to create us something that any half-decent winger wouldnt have scored anyway, but hes proven nothing in my opinion, lets see how he goes when oppositions target him post season.

No point comparing him to Morris though.. but we cant have top $ in every position anyway.

Coffs dragon

Bench
As the old ex coach "the Wok" always said....the reason wingers score so many tries is because they are marked by other wingers!! So until Nabuli is fully tested in the defence area, then its ridiculous to compare him againt the best in the business. Only time will tell and fingers crossed or the club management will be shown up again in poor decision making.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Will the $600,000 winger or the $60,000 winger offer more value this year to their respective clubs..?

I have a very funny feeling that Brett Morris will struggle this year w being played out of position and won't offer the Bulldogs the return they're looking for where I really believe Nabuli could end up being the find of the year and therefore offering unbelievable value at. $60,000..

I think the Dragons recruiting has been questionable at best but letting go of Morris at $600k and now Merrin could prove to be wise moves and allowing us to develop younger players in their positions..

Spare a thought -if we retained Morris u would have never of heard of Nabuli..

Well done Dragons recruitment (on this occasion)

difficult question to answer as you need to look outside just their salaries..

Ilustrations-BARZAAR-4-2012-01-01-.012.png

how much benefit does a try give us?

how much benefit does saving a try give us?

how much additional bonus does scoring superman tries give us? (eg that one vs cronulla last year even got exposure down here in AFL country..)

and then what additional benefit are we gaining from the $500k spare cap space..

eg, if reports are true that rose, henry, neilsen, nutira & l'estrange cost us a grand total of $400k, then when you roll those guys into the equation nabuli is better value...