What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will provide better value for money - NABULI or MORRIS

possm

Coach
Morris has the superior talent but at a high cost. Nabuli has the potential however; his worth is yet to be proven. I think it is too early to call right now. We will have a better idea by end of season or by end of the 2016 season.

For me, I would have preferred the Club buy Josh Morris a couple of years ago. Instead, Doust and Price decided to buy Beale and Farrell. If Doust brought Josh home, we would have one of the best backlines in the world.

It is clear to me that the Dogs can buy all of these high priced players because they understand the TPA system. They have gone out and taken advantage of the current rules and stole a march on all of the Clubs who have not managed to find a way to obtain such sponsorship.

One has to ask the question; why isn't Doust and the other 10 or so CEOs who are not utilizing the full potential of the TPAs, protesting and/or campaigning against such an unfair policy. This policy as it stands, destroys the intended aims of the salary cap and potentially will lead to the ruination of Clubs who are unable to step up and become part of this new TPA system which can provide unlimited salary/sponsorship to targeted players.

It is very likely that both Josh and Brett are being paid a lessor cap salary then what the Dragons would have offered however, the TPA funds paid in addition the their cap salary would make the Bulldog’s offer far more attractive.

I still hold the view that the only way for this situation to be addressed is to place the management of the TPA scheme with the NRL and not with individual Clubs.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Not at all comparable. Brett Morris is the best winger on the planet, the best finisher in the game. Eto hasn't even played a proper game yet. he looks to be an excellent athlete, powerful and quick-but we'll see how he goes defensively this season.

Opposition halves will be turning him around all season, hopefully he's up to it & continues to improve.

Let's not kid ourselves, B. Moz is a huge loss.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Nabuli turns 27 in August
Hopefully his body will last quite a while as it hasn't suffered close to a decade of the rigours of NRL competition.
His 28 tries last year at a lower level were varied and showed all the gifts that you would want out of a winger.
You can only play what's in front of you but he absolutely pulverised Joel Reddy in the CS and has the bulk and strength to stay infield when hit close the line. Imagine how many tries BMoz would have scored but for being knocked a centimetre or two into touch. He also has as great pair of hands.

I'm not waiting. I'm happy to make the call now IMO, Tabouli will be the bargain buy of the decade.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Pretty early to make judgement but 1 thing for sure I think Eto will get better service from Marshall and Widdop than BMoz from the Dogs halves. It all comes down to injuries and how many games they play. If Eto and Gerard Tumavave come good they will both be very good pick-ups after losing BMoz and Bird and shows Saints did have some method to their madness in letting these 2 guns go.

BMoz will probably play alot more grinding low scoring games as that is what the Dogs usually do. They usually win through their defence and big forward pack. Will be hard to watch BMoz play in the Dogs colours.

As for best winger, I think Saints still have him. His name is Jason Nightingale. Always seems to score in big games. And has saved a try or 2 as well.

hazzbeen

Bench
Not at all comparable. Brett Morris is the best winger on the planet, the best finisher in the game. Eto hasn't even played a proper game yet. he looks to be an excellent athlete, powerful and quick-but we'll see how he goes defensively this season.

Opposition halves will be turning him around all season, hopefully he's up to it & continues to improve.

Let's not kid ourselves, B. Moz is a huge loss.

Agree is a big loss, Im looking at it this way will we win the Premiership this year or next year , dont think so. 2 to 3 years on Morris is that bit older and just maybe Eto will establish himself as a better than average winger.If we were close to a premiership I would have been devastated loosing Morris but were not ,struggling to make the 8. Disappointed we lost Morris yes, devastated not........

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
I think Vidot was exceptionally bad when it came to his skill set, very bad hands and bad reads. It goes to show what a good coach Griffon is as he actually got rid of 80% of the old bad stuff in Vidot's game and made him of FG standard.

I dont think Nabuli's hands are that bad or as bad as Vidot all round as he has shown some decent inside passes and footwork in the 9's. I cant wait to watch him play a few FG games for us to find out.

bottle

Coach
Morris is a massive loss, and Nabuli a massive unknown.
Nabuli will have to deliver an awful lot to bring the equation into balance.

TheRev

First Grade
Nabuli might be sacked after 2 rounds for all we know, then his value will be null and void.

It all comes back to his 80 minute defence when turned around by the opposition.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Nabuli might be sacked after 2 rounds for all we know, then his value will be null and void.

It all comes back to his 80 minute defence when turned around by the opposition.

Does he have form or something :sarcasm:
The kids gonna be a star Rev
Sit back and relax :cool:

Oh and on the Morris family
Like Father like Sons
Eight years with the Dragons "thanks for the memories"
Then off for a spell to someone else for overs
Then off to the UK for overs
Look forward to their kids joining the Dragons in twenty years or so.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Does he have form or something :sarcasm:
The kids gonna be a star Rev
Sit back and relax :cool:

Oh and on the Morris family
Like Father like Sons
Eight years with the Dragons "thanks for the memories"
Then off for a spell to someone else for overs
Then off to the UK for overs
Look forward to their kids joining the Dragons in twenty years or so.

Nabuli's kids are better value

Cagey Mac

Bench
Did some one say Nabuli is 27 ?
Though he was much younger... What's BMoz 29 ? mmmmmmm

26 TS born 24/8/88 BMoz is two years and one day older born 23/8/86
There you go same star sign both on the cusp of Lion and Virgin
It's an omen :sarcasm:

Nealo 12

First Grade
Dropped his bundle in the state cup challenge and our club lost interest . No good under pressure , sad because I loved to watch him in full flight .

dungay dragon

Juniors
Nabuli + high ball = bad , surprised no one has mentioned this yet .
B MOZ is another who has major dramas under the high ball , at his times at full back for the Dragons
He is sure to be targetted by rival coaches if hasler puts him at full back
Positional play at No 1 was also ordinary
A major gamble by the Bulldogs ;-)

Redvpassion

Juniors
From what I remember in the charity shield game, Nabuli needs to strengthen his turn and chase skills. I think that may let him down. Couple times Souths did that and came close to scoring.