What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the Roosters Tall Poppies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Juniors
Why are The Roosters, or for that matter Rooster Supporters, Tall Poppies ?

Give us a break, Geezuz !! :roll: We have only won the thing once in 27 years ? how the ++++ does that make us tall poppies ? Some people read too many papers or actually believe the media hype ? and as far this East v West crap or the silver spoons shirt goes ? Matey !!! The mortgages are even higher in the Eastern Suburbs, that’s about all they have in front of Penrith and matey !!! I live like 350 k west of Sydney so how far west do you want to go ?

One thing you must remember is that while Penrith or Newcastle or Canberra etc may have their general supporter base in the immediate vicinity of the region they represent because of the relative newness to the competition etc, clubs like the Saints Army or Souths or The Roosters etc have been around for almost like, a hundred years :roll: :roll: and over that length of time supporters of those clubs have like moved !! :roll: :roll: We are all over the world pal, and certainly all over Australia and definitely all over NSW and absolutely all over Sydney !!

Its no longer and hasn’t been for many years, Roosters Supporters living in Bondi etc ! Wake up ! if the Roosters have been made out to be Tall Poppies, the only people to thank for that is the media and the news paper barons that have created that image in order to sell papers with headings like East V West and then make millions in TV rights etc.

They are the Tall Poppies not the rooster supporters ! geezez any one want a mortgage ? :x

OH and in case you have forgotten, Penrith Panthers make more money as a club than other club in the entire NRL ? Like 56 mil last year :shock: while Eastern Subs made 12.6 mil like nearly 350% less !! :cry: so who really are the Tall Poppies or silver spoons ??

Walshie........

Zef

Juniors
Walshie said:
We have only won the thing once in 27 years ? how the ++++ does that make us tall poppies ?

Well why didn't some (NOTE I said some) of you'se (yes you'se) ask yourselves that 6 months ago?

Fair dinkum, you'se (I mean some of you'se of course) spent all season walking around with your head up your arses thinking you'se invented football for f*ck's sake and now you're saying you're just misunderstood?

I think I'm gonna vomit.

salivor

First Grade
For god sakes I'm finally utterly sick of the moaning from Roosters supporters. You'd think they were the only team in the history of Rugby League or Sport for that matter to cop some hatred. You'd also think they were the only team to be touted with salary cap cheating allegations.

It was only a few years ago that it was Manly and Brisbane in your position. Manly thrive on it and Brisbane fans didn't carry on half as bad as your lot are currently. I hope Brisbane gain back some of that hatred as it'll mean we'll be back on top again. Being the tall poppy means you've actually got somewhere for people to want to knock you down so stop moaning.

Woe is the Roosters :roll: .

salivor said:
Being the tall poppy means you've actually got somewhere for people to want to knock you down so stop moaning.

I tend to agree with you there Sal. I guess you would wonder why this is the case. We all hope are team becomes successful but when they do they are bagged. Is this how we reward success? Makes me wonder.

taxidriver

Coach
I can think of a many reasons but the two main ones are,

1) The way a large part of your "blow in" fan base appeared once your side went on a run. The arrogance, rudeness and lack of graciousness these fans showed when you won the GF just set them up for the inevitable payback once the side fell on their faces. The Roosters went into the GF one of the shortest priced favourites in some time and their performance when it counted was pretty ordinary, many believe they choked. What better opportunity for a bit of payback ?

2) The way your club operates. The Roosters have been trying to buy a comp since 1975. They succeeded in it last year but many fans and observers believe that your management uses underhanded tactics. You have a team choc full of rep. footballers., yet they never seem to have any problem buying established first graders and staying under the cap. It could be argued you also "cheated" in winning last years comp. You were fined for salary cap indiscretions surrounding Craig Wing. It may have been nowhere near the indiscretions of the dogs, but to many fans cheating is cheating.

As far as I'm concerned, the two reasons above are more than enough for the barrage your club has copped lately. We could bring in arguments about your junior development policy (or lack thereof) and your rent a crowd fan base but like I said earlier, the two points above a more than enough to warrant everything you cop. Your teams total disregard for a level playing field and the comp in general has you set up as the new manly, enjoy it.

ozzie

Bench
umm tell us about our none existant junior development - before I kick the crap out of yur post...have you heard of Athur Beetson who heads up our junior development - have you heard of our feeder club recliffe..keep going your making a right idiot of your self..

taxidriver said:
2) The way your club operates. The Roosters have been trying to buy a comp since 1975. They succeeded in it last year but many fans and observers believe that your management uses underhanded tactics. You have a team choc full of rep. footballers., yet they never seem to have any problem buying established first graders and staying under the cap. It could be argued you also "cheated" in winning last years comp. You were fined for salary cap indiscretions surrounding Craig Wing. It may have been nowhere near the indiscretions of the dogs, but to many fans cheating is cheating.
I tend to agree with you on the first point but name me one NRL supporter base that doesn't have these elements backing their team.

As for point "2" it shows how ignorant people can get.

So far as "Buying the comp", So many posts have been made to refute this but it apparently falls on blind eyes. A case of selective reading. I'm tired of fighting this battle, which in part was true of the Roosters back in the 80's but not relevant to the latter 90's & present. Do we continue to dwell on the past or do we give credit to changing it. I would ask you to look deeper but I guess that would be too much to ask for.

As for Craig Wing. That's been publicly documented, there was nothing hidden from the NRL. Fact that you raise this means your really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Is it not the case that Penrith had problems so far as their superannuation scheme? I don't hear anyone complaining about that. Certainly won't get it from me.

Anonymous

Juniors
And just who is your team Matey !! :lol:

Be careful now coz you have said some pretty ordinary stuff there and we are on to ya Taxi !! :lol: :lol:

taxidriver

Coach
I agree all clubs have the blow in fans but yours seem to have hit a sore spot with other fans. Everyone seems to have a story about a pain in the arse Rooster fan. I never said I had a problem with Rooster fans, I merely offered an opinion as to why you're copping a hiding now.

I don't think even the staunchest Rooster fan can deny your efforts to buy a comp, maybe not as bad as it was a few years back but most real fans of the game have a long memory. Maybe it's not so bad now because of the cap, but why do so many observers question your clubs approach to the cap ? As I stated earlier, you seem to have no problems buying established first graders on a regular basis (along with some of the games best established young talent and resigning the cream within your own team) while other clubs seem to struggle to stay under the cap.

Kick the crap out of my post all you like, your club is famous for it's disregard to junior development. You may have made some advances recently but that doesn't seem to stop you poaching some of the best junior talent available and it doesn't wipe out decades upon decades of systematically ignoring junior development.

As for Wing, you were found guilty and fined. Operative words for me "found guilty". I don't need to hear any more excuses.

My club ? I'm a Saints supporter, we've struggled a bit lately (because we play by the cap and have had to shed player upon player for a few years running now ) but given a decent run with injuries next year, I'm confident of a good year.

ozzie

Bench
taxidriver said:
I agree all clubs have the blow in fans but yours seem to have hit a sore spot with other fans. Everyone seems to have a story about a pain in the arse Rooster fan. I never said I had a problem with Rooster fans, I merely offered an opinion as to why you're copping a hiding now.

I don't think even the staunchest Rooster fan can deny your efforts to buy a comp, maybe not as bad as it was a few years back but most real fans of the game have a long memory. Maybe it's not so bad now because of the cap, but why do so many observers question your clubs approach to the cap ? As I stated earlier, you seem to have no problems buying established first graders on a regular basis (along with some of the games best established young talent and resigning the cream within your own team) while other clubs seem to struggle to stay under the cap.

Kick the crap out of my post all you like, your club is famous for it's disregard to junior development. You may have made some advances recently but that doesn't seem to stop you poaching some of the best junior talent available and it doesn't wipe out decades upon decades of systematically ignoring junior development.

As for Wing, you were found guilty and fined. Operative words for me "found guilty". I don't need to hear any more excuses.

My club ? I'm a Saints supporter, we've struggled a bit lately (because we play by the cap and have had to shed player upon player for a few years running now ) but given a decent run with injuries next year, I'm confident of a good year.

oh that explains a lot no need to kick the hell out of your post - you just did..never mind we all have our worries and If it is an example set by St george on how to treat players ie bitch slapping then its no wonder players look at a great club like ours and want to come to it..Its called respect something your coach seems to lack...

Zef

Juniors
I really don't believe all this crap about Australians and the "tall poppy" syndrome.

I reckon we don't mind seeing anyone having success, as long as they don't walk around like they're King Sh.t once they attain it.

I'll give you two examples from the cricket world –

Shane Warne'
Matt Hayden

Now the former (Warne) is undoubtably a great bowler (perhaps the best ever), but he's also a great d.ckhead (perhaps the biggest ever) who thinks the sun shines out of his arse. Therefore I don't think there's too many Australians who shed a tear when he gets into trouble – and in fact we revel in it. It's that karma thing.

Whilst the latter (Haydo) is probably right now at the absolute peak of his ability and getting all the success he deserves, and is there an Australian out there anywhere who doesn't revel in his success and wishes him more? And why do we admire him - because he behaves like a champion both on and off the field.

And I don't think there's too many true league supporters out there who deep down hold too much against The Roosters (team) either. Over the last season they conducted themselves with dignity, grace and all those good things, so good on them. The Rooster (team) conducted themselves just like Haydo.

But some (and again I said SOME – not all) of Rooster supporters have definitely been in the Shane Warne category last season if you know what I mean. (Again, only some – not all, but maybe most even?...... no no forget I said that). Fair-dinkum, some (not all) Rooster Boosters have spent the last season walking around as if The Roosters won the first and last GF ever to be played and the rest of the RL fraternity was going to spend eternity as their peasants

Anyway, for those Rooster supporters in the Haydo category, good luck and we'll see you next year when it's all on again.

But for those Rooster fans in the Shane Warne category – Well, here's hoping it's been a hell of a fall and may your fall be broken by concrete.

And yes – I will be keeping my eyes on those Panther fans from here on in. You gotta watch these Premierships, it can send fans mad.

salivor

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
salivor said:
Being the tall poppy means you've actually got somewhere for people to want to knock you down so stop moaning.

I tend to agree with you there Sal. I guess you would wonder why this is the case. We all hope are team becomes successful but when they do they are bagged. Is this how we reward success? Makes me wonder.

Its the nature of sport unfortunatly, those who achieve success and manage to attain it start to come off as cocky and we like to pull them down. If Penrith start a mini dynasty I think the whole underdog, humble boys from the West image will crumble quite quickly.

taxidriver said:

You know you should try to form an opinion based on facts. Which you don't because none of your arguements are valid.

This quote...
taxidriver said:
... a classic. So teams that had a successful season is because they rort the cap? No other club has shed players other that the Dragons?

Zef said:
I really don't believe all this crap about Australians and the "tall poppy" syndrome.

I reckon we don't mind seeing anyone having success, as long as they don't walk around like they're King Sh.t once they attain it.
I'ld love to agree with you there Zef but how else would explain the reception Fittler got at the Footy Show. Fittler has got to be one of the best role models around. Yes, he did have his moment of weakness but don't we all.

As for the "minority" of Roosters fans some people have problems with. Why shouldn't they be cocky. We have waited along time for another Premiership. Most of us have probably been through the lean years and we deserve to celebrate. Why shouldn't we? Of course not. Why, the Roosters are based in an affluent part of town and will always be judged as such.

Nah Zef, that syndrome exists.

taxidriver

Coach
The only part of my post that was based on conjecture was in relation to your fair weather fans. I NEVER said I agreed with this point of view, a question was asked and based on what I've heard and read, offered an opinion.

As for the rest of the post,
Roosters cheating the cap last year = FACT
Roosters trying to buy a comp year after year = FACT
Roosters attrocious history of junior development = FACT

The only fiction here is any argument you put up to refute any of the above. Like I said, you may be trying to improve your clubs image on some of the above points but it's gonna take a little more effort over a lot more time to erase memories.

As for the Saints quote, I must admit I was surprised to catch such a big fish fish as yourself, I was hoping to get a bite from one of the smaller fry out there :D

Zef

Juniors
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
I'ld love to agree with you there Zef but how else would explain the reception Fittler got at the Footy Show.

That's just footy fans being footy fans. As the great Jack Gibson said about lang Park crowds during State of Origin - "They'd boo Santa Clause up here"

It really hasn't got anything to do with Brad Fittler (or Santa), it's just footy fans being footy fans.

And why do you'se (there's that word again) get so cut up about Freddy getting booed anyway? I bet he didn't give a sh.t about it.

That's footy, been like that for a hundred years and here's hoping it's like that for the next thousand.

mj5150

Juniors
taxidriver said:
The only part of my post that was based on conjecture was in relation to your fair weather fans. I NEVER said I agreed with this point of view, a question was asked and based on what I've heard and read, offered an opinion.

As for the rest of the post,
Roosters cheating the cap last year = FACT
Roosters trying to buy a comp year after year = FACT
Roosters attrocious history of junior development = FACT

The only fiction here is any argument you put up to refute any of the above. Like I said, you may be trying to improve your clubs image on some of the above points but it's gonna take a little more effort over a lot more time to erase memories.

As for the Saints quote, I must admit I was surprised to catch such a big fish fish as yourself, I was hoping to get a bite from one of the smaller fry out there :D

Oh please...talk about sour grapes.

As far as the so-called "blow-ins"/"fair weather fans" can you name me one team that doesn't have this effect when they go from obscurity to success. Maybe it's just because some people don't have the passion of others and only really have a reason to show their colours when their teams on a high. Here's a really good example for ya - go and find out the crowd figures for the Panthers last couple of home games last year and do the same for this year.
I don't berate the fair weather fans, but I do have contempt for those that get on their soap boxes and condemn these people. I see more Bunnies bumper stickers than all other teams combined and they have the worst crowd figures of all. I don't see you blasting their supporter base. Auckland Warriors couldn't draw enough of a crowd to fill a reserve grade team, but once they gained some success, the crowds boosted. It's a fact of life - nobody likes to see their team lose, and you will always get bigger home crowds when your team is winning. I'd be more concerned if the Roosters were winning and still only pulling 5000-6000 at home games.

Holy Jeebus, people. We get harassed for having a crap supporter base and we get harassed when we start pulling big crowds. We get harassed for signing experienced players and we get harassed for signing promising juniors. I guess we are the new Manly and to some extent I like it. I figure that if you can draw this much hatred then you must be doing something good.

On to the "buying a comp" subject. I know this has been attacked ad nauseum, and I know my defence is not needed, but here goes anyway. These are not my words, I have merely paraphrased someone from the former Knights forum, but I think it has been put well. Basically, he said that like it or not, today's game is a business, and as such, you'd be mad if you were a CEO of any club and you weren't trying to buy a comp. To win a competition, you need a competitive team. To have a competitive team you need good players. To have good players you have to pay good money. This applies to every club in the competition. Hell, Souths probably bought more players in the past couple of years than any other team...I don't hear anyone bitching about them trying to buy a comp.

I guess this goes for every team except the Dragons. They don't pay their players, do they? They are all playing there for the love of the club (and a couple of tim tams). And aren't we a mean and nasty club? I mean, take Fitzgibbon for example. He loved the Dragons and played there for free (yes I know it was Illawarra - same thing), but we snuck in during the middle of the night and snatch him while he was sleeping, and now he's playing at our club, completely against his own will, and we lock him up at night so he can't get away.

I'd love it if we bought Barrett next year and went on to win with him in 2005. Just the thought of your pitiful crying in your beer would be enough to put a smile on my face.

Go the Mighty Roosters - Season 2004, here we come!

RoostarGirl

Juniors
I reckon Zef that what you wrote was a great summary and I definately fall into the Haydo category ;-) (Tennis world Lleyton Hewitt & Pat Rafter)

As for those Panther fans I have already warned them that nobody likes winners and if they are lucky enough to make next years Grand Final they wont find the support from other Teams they had this year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Walshie said:
We have only won the thing once in 27 years ? how the ++++ does that make us tall poppies ?

Funny that the team that beat you this year has won the premiership more times in the past 15-20 years than u'z now 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.