What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I cannot yet support ONE Wests Tigers NSW Cup side

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heard it myself on abc grandstand.

No idea what its about. First i've heard of it

Ron's_Mate

Bench
To be fair, i don't think anyone on ABC Grandstand has much idea about anything. I was listening to it driving home & it was embarassing. Debbie Spillane waffles and waffles with very little said of any interest. At the end she was obviously playing for time after saying she was about to announce the top 8. Eventually she admitted that she couldn't do it because her Internet had crashed. Seriously - no one in the ABC sports department was able to just tell her the top 8?

I for one want the Tigers to train were the best facilities are, I don't care were that is. I would however be reluctanct to move the 20's to a different training base than the NRL side. The more contact the 20's have with the top grade the better it is for the club.

I have heard that the players are happy at Concord and it allows it to live in areas they want to live in. I think a number of the current players and potential recruits would not want to train full time at Campbelltown, it may affect the players we retain and recruit if we were to move there full time.

As for a combined NSW cup side, I personally would like to see a proper reserve grade came back and have a combined Wests Tigers side and 3 grades ever match day. I don't think it will happen.

To be honest I no longer go to NSW cup games and take far more interest in the 20's ( although it sould be 23's with 3 over age players in my opinion). It would however make commercial sense going forward to have one Wests Tigers NSW cup side.

Has either board considered asking the players what would be the better alternative,surely they must have some insight on what its like playing for Wests,Balmain or WT.

what is wrong with having 2 teams in state cup ? its not like sheens actually gives anyone a fair go from there anyways its all about u20s nowdays
i like seeing balmain play state cup on tv and i also like seeing teams like norths and illawarra there to

Like every thing else these days its about the money,why fund two sides when you could be doing it only once under WT banner.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
exactly, cut the costs, improve on field performance and have a much more unified brand.

It strengthens the Wests Tigers name considerably and makes little damage to Balmain or Wests Magpies.

gronkathon

First Grade
The only thing that will truly damage the Wests or Balmain brands is if obstructionists with no grip on reality hold onto meaningless points and obstruct the WT brand moving forward

CrazyTiger

Juniors
This thread has shown that many people, even hardened fans of both former clubs, are all for a fully united Wests Tigers merger, as being proposed.

Reality, vision and focus on the future are whats needed.

At present too many people with power at Magpies still think its the 1960's and think they need to stand up and fight, when what they're actually fighting is the thing that they want - more Wests Tigers involvement in their community.
This thread has about 20 responses, of those, many are commenting more than once. This thread doesn't show very much at all.

The people who are standing and fighting really just want the magpies back, they aren't
interested in the community. Why would the magpies cash cow (Ashfield) give a flying
truck about Campbelltown. They couldn't be further removed. When the Magpies
are dead, why should Ashfield care about Campbelltown? Ashfield would just want
to plough money back into their local area surely.

Last edited:

CrazyTiger

Juniors
I'm not bullying anyones opinion, just stating my own.

Open your eyes, this is not about NSW Cup.

Wests Tigers will be basing the team at Campbelltown in the future, its where the talent is, its where the better facilities are.

Western Suburbs will be getting a good deal, especially when Leichhardt is eventually rendered unfit for NRL games, which by the sounds of the radio commentators on the weekend is very near (they made several references to that game being the last at Leichhardt possibly)

That will mean more games at Campbelltown.

A brand new state of the art training facility in Campbelltown.

There's no mention of anything like that going on in Balmain is there?

Homebush is a fantastic facility, and holds up to 80000 for every tigers game. Surely
that means they should be based at homebush and play out of homebush.

As for a good deal for the Western Suburbs? That depends upon your point of view.

gronkathon

First Grade
Homebush is a soulless concrete shit tip and I would head into the head office to hand back my membership if we ever announce we are going back there

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Homebush is a soulless concrete shit tip and I would head into the head office to hand back my membership if we ever announce we are going back there
My point precisely.

Being a good facility, doesn't necessarily mean that is where we want to be.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
if we had to choose between Homebush and Campbelltown, as a Tigers fan I'd take Campbo every time.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
if we had to choose between Homebush and Campbelltown, as a Tigers fan I'd take Campbo every time.
As you stated earlier, it isn't about "me me me" or some such. I thought you lived
in Melbourne anyway.

Leichardt can pull 20000 with ease, and Campbelltown 13k if every factor goes their way.
You wish to abandon Leichardt because Campbelltown is a smaller version of the SFS.
Thank god you aren't in charge of the future direction of the club.

Try understanding post 33 in its own right.

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
I don't necessarily agree more games will be played at Campbelltown.

Leichhardt continues to pull good crowds and is a good venue to watch football.

Even opposing supporters love Leichhardt which cannot be said for Campbelltown.

This translates to opposing supporters being less willing to travel to Campbelltown in comparison to Leichhardt.

How the club deals with this issue will determine if more games are played at Campbelltown.

In relation to juniors, Balmain won the SG Ball, did well in HM and have a strong Holy Cross side. To suggest there is more talent in the Marcarthur area is debatable, especially when considering the results this year. The area also supports the Pirates and Woodies so there is talent around.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leichhardt is a great ground, but its never getting an upgrade, it has a condemned stand, sadly its in its last days. Thats not something i 'think' thats just fact.

In future we'll have more games at homebush and more games at campbelltown.

In order to keep the magpies from whinging more, when Leichhardt stops being used, more games should be sent to campbelltown.

Where i live has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Leichhardt is a great ground, but its never getting an upgrade, it has a condemned stand, sadly its in its last days. Thats not something i 'think' thats just fact.

In future we'll have more games at homebush and more games at campbelltown.

In order to keep the magpies from whinging more, when Leichhardt stops being used, more games should be sent to campbelltown.

Where i live has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

Hi MadUnit

The future of the NRL is Television, they fought the superleague over it if
you recall. The overwhelming majority of games can't fill a suburban ground
of 20k, and this isn't likely to change (since streaming is imminent). It
is more important to have a ground that is full in the background as you
can sense the lack of atmosphere in games at places like Homebush, and
to a lesser extent the SFS and Campbelltown.

It is very much about where you live, because like the overwhelming majority
of NRL fans, you don't go to games. (I'm not calling you a lesser supporter).
I don't go to the game to get a better view, I tape it, and go for the
atmosphere. I certainly don't go to the game for the toilet facilities
that you crave, yet don't use.

Leichardt should be maintained, but definitely not upgraded.

If you take away Leichardt, and move from Balmain, the Wests Tigers will
go the same way as the magpies. The Balmain fans of the 1980's are breeding
like rabbits and have been for some time. Wests simply don't bring enough fans
to the merger.

Do you really expect players of the likes of Benji Marshall, Lote Tuquiri and
co to live in Campbelltown? Why do you think Penrith has to play 600k for
Jennings. We can't be a glamour club in Campbelltown, and will be perenial
strugglers until we are merged with Penrith.

Your suggestion to disenfranchise the Balmain side of the merger to appease
a small group of zealots (galahs and co) is madness. Their goal is the return
of the Magpies to the NRL, not the best interests of Campbelltown.

Last edited:

braz

Juniors
Even opposing supporters love Leichhardt which cannot be said for Campbelltown.

Not the Roosters fans near me last week. They won't be heading back anytime soon.

20k at Leichardt is not much fun for anyone. 16k is about as much as it can hold before it gets uncomfortable. We got there about 1pm last week and only just got a decent spot.