What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I cannot yet support ONE Wests Tigers NSW Cup side

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Not the Roosters fans near me last week. They won't be heading back anytime soon.

20k at Leichardt is not much fun for anyone. 16k is about as much as it can hold before it gets uncomfortable. We got there about 1pm last week and only just got a decent spot.
What you should do is simply not go, and others will take your place. Don't do something
you don't enjoy, life is too short. There will still be 20k next time the Tigers play at
Leichardt, regardless of the opposing team.

You should really enjoy the game at Campbelltown. I've heard the urinals are second to
none.

braz

Juniors
Whatever champ

Unlike many of the Leichardt faithful (probably yourself) I will watch my team anywhere and everywhere. I am a season ticket holder.

Had an intersting conversation in the bar line last week. Bloke was astounded I had travelled from the south west to Leichardt to watch the team. He said he really must head out and watch a game at Campbo one day.

Says it all really.

innsaneink

Referee
I don't necessarily agree more games will be played at Campbelltown.

Leichhardt continues to pull good crowds and is a good venue to watch football.

Even opposing supporters love Leichhardt which cannot be said for Campbelltown.

This translates to opposing supporters being less willing to travel to Campbelltown in comparison to Leichhardt.

How the club deals with this issue will determine if more games are played at Campbelltown.

In relation to juniors, Balmain won the SG Ball, did well in HM and have a strong Holy Cross side. To suggest there is more talent in the Marcarthur area is debatable, especially when considering the results this year. The area also supports the Pirates and Woodies so there is talent around.

I really really hope you dont think all the players in those junior rep sides you mentioned come from Balmain.
Coz they dont.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Whatever champ

Unlike many of the Leichardt faithful (probably yourself) I will watch my team anywhere and everywhere. I am a season ticket holder.

Had an intersting conversation in the bar line last week. Bloke was astounded I had travelled from the south west to Leichardt to watch the team. He said he really must head out and watch a game at Campbo one day.

Says it all really.

A few posts back you seemed to be of the opinion that the quality of the facility was elastic in
nature. Now you turn up regardless!

Have you got anymore cool anecdotes? Maybe you should collate them and Wests Tigers
could build a business plan around them.

If you don't like Leichardt, there are alternative memberships for you to enjoy.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Do you really expect players of the likes of Benji Marshall, Lote Tuquiri and
co to live in Campbelltown? Why do you think Penrith has to play 600k for
Jennings. We can't be a glamour club in Campbelltown, and will be perenial
strugglers until we are merged with Penrith.

Your suggestion to disenfranchise the Balmain side of the merger to appease
a small group of zealots (galahs and co) is madness. Their goal is the return
of the Magpies to the NRL, not the best interests of Campbelltown.

Not sure if serious...

Sorry, one merger was enough. Parra has been around since the 40's Penrith since the 60's.
That would be a more logical merger. The Wests Tigers have already done most of the hard yards and created a mostly unified supporter group with a generation of kids coming through who've been Wests Tigers fans for life.

Why destroy that and go back to square one all over again?! It would just drive people away and create more factions and division with self interest groups pushing and pulling in even more directions.
As a longstanding member I could not bear it.
As for the financial side, things are reasonable and will be incredible if Victoria Rd gets approval.
Penrith are set in this area and have no need to look at the idea either.

Another merger!?

To quote Anasta: 'you're off ya head!'

Last edited:

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Not sure if serious...

Sorry, one merger was enough. Parra has been around since the 40's Penrith since the 60's.
That would be a more logical merger. The Wests Tigers have already done most of the hard yards and created a mostly unified supporter group with a generation of kids coming through who've been Wests Tigers fans for life.

Why destroy that and go back to square one all over again?! It would just drive people away and create more factions and division with self interest groups pushing and pulling in even more directions.
As a longstanding member I could not bear it.
As for the financial side, things are reasonable and will be incredible if Victoria Rd gets approval.
Penrith are set in this area and have no need to look at the idea either.

Another merger!?

To quote Anasta: 'you're off ya head!'

I am deadly serious.

Parramatta has been a cellar dwellar (with the exception of their golden
sterlo years). I am not anti parra at all, I have family who support parra,
and is has usually been about losing (much like the magpies). Penrith
has managed a couple of premierships since 67, but they have never
been able to capitalise on this.

Penrith in particular are a desperate club. They tried to cut the magpies
throat by joining super league and were basically successful. They are
a treacherous club. They have stolen the black and white of the magpies,
and possess the superior mascot (Panther versus magpie).

If we do relocate to Campbelltown, killing off the Tigers support and
potentially turning us into the magpies, then with a new independant
commission, they may well look to enforce a Greater western super club.
Penrith is down and out, their pokey den model is dead. Moving the Tigers
to Campbelltown will destroy the Wests Tigers and leave us fodder for a Panthers merger (where the panthers dominate).

Ironically, a greater western super club won't work unless they abolish the
salary cap.

Penrith has been positioning themselves carefully in recent times. They have
registered Western Panthers, Greater Western Panthers among others.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi MadUnit

The future of the NRL is Television, they fought the superleague over it if
you recall. The overwhelming majority of games can't fill a suburban ground of 20k, and this isn't likely to change (since streaming is imminent). It is more important to have a ground that is full in the background as you can sense the lack of atmosphere in games at places like Homebush, and to a lesser extent the SFS and Campbelltown.
More games at Cmapbelltown will see the ground get upgraded again to accommodate more spectators. Last year I believe there was some consideration about the Roosters playing home games there so that the councils could justify upgrading the venue, because Wests Tigers weren't using it enough.

It is very much about where you live, because like the overwhelming majority of NRL fans, you don't go to games. (I'm not calling you a lesser supporter).
No, again, it has nothing to do with where I live. I've been to four Tigers games this year (3 home and 1 away) as well as most of the Storm home games as well. I used to live in Sydney and attended every Tigers game in Sydney/Newcastle/Canberra for 3 years.

And I'll say again, it has absolutely nothing to do with where I live.

I don't go to the game to get a better view, I tape it, and go for the atmosphere. I certainly don't go to the game for the toilet facilities
that you crave, yet don't use.
You can make your point without being a f**kwit about it. I go to the game to support my team.

Leichardt should be maintained, but definitely not upgraded.
Neither have or will be happening. That's not my decision. That's just the way it is.

If you take away Leichardt, and move from Balmain, the Wests Tigers will go the same way as the magpies. The Balmain fans of the 1980's are breeding like rabbits and have been for some time. Wests simply don't bring enough fans to the merger.
You have a breakdown of how many fans are from the Balmain and magpies side of the merger do you?
The new breed of kids from Balmain and Western Suburbs won't be growing up supporting Balmain or the Magpies champ, they'll be supporting Wests Tigers, like they are now.
Wests failed in the past because of archaic club management and abysmal talent retention. Magpies won't be running Wests Tigers. If the Campbelltown area and its talent is properly managed then the team will be a success.

Do you really expect players of the likes of Benji Marshall, Lote Tuquiri and co to live in Campbelltown?
Jeremy Smith lives in Wollongong. Who gives a f**k where the players live. No one lives a 2 minute walk from any footy ground, so they all have to travel to some degree. f**king dopey argument.
Why do you think Penrith has to play 600k for Jennings.
Because their stupid management backloaded his contracted to massive proportions and he was smart enough not to decline such a massive offer.
We can't be a glamour club in Campbelltown, and will be perenial
strugglers until we are merged with Penrith.
lol, ok, I thought you were being serious. Turns out your just being a dumb f**k

Your suggestion to disenfranchise the Balmain side of the merger to appease a small group of zealots (galahs and co) is madness.
That's not my suggestion. I never came close to suggesting that. Both Balmain and Wests should be leagues clubs that help the existence of the only team to represent them in every grade, Wests Tigers. Without a united team in all grades, we allow bitching from either side to corrode the foundations the merger was built on. Leichhardt is only getting worse and there's potential for Campbelltown to get an upgrade funded by local council if we play there more often. Makes f**king sense.

Their goal is the return of the Magpies to the NRL, not the best interests of Campbelltown.
I know that, but by having the Wests Tigers merged in all grades and no more Balmain or Wests teams, Magpies won't try and go alone because it will kill their clubs and the game in their area.

innsaneink

Referee
Is that so!

*edit*
Why don't you grow a pair and respond to the points that are put to you. The only
coward is you.
So you mention another forum.
You know me....but we dont know you and your recently new status and name. Who do we know you as before?
Answer troll.

Create an acct and new name to respond to one f**kin thread...LMAO!
Are you proud of yourself?

Grow a pair and respond??
Nah...thats what trolls want...this thread is dead and youre merely divisive.
Ive wasted enough time on you.

Grow a pair, yeh I'll grow a pair, create a new acct with a new name and hide behind that and throw a Tiger amongst the magpies.
f**k off coward....

Wests Tigers.
Thats all.

Last edited:
Just forget him Ink. The bloke will spew his recycled diatribe to anyone who will listen. Ignore him and he will go away.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
More games at Cmapbelltown will see the ground get upgraded again to accommodate more spectators. Last year I believe there was some consideration about the Roosters playing home games there so that the councils could justify upgrading the venue, because Wests Tigers weren't using it enough.
Upgraded why? Campbelltown is fine to waatch football from. It doesn't
matter how magnificent the stadium is, people will still stay home and
watch on TV. It is massively cheaper for a start. Attending games is
really for cashed up singles and couples and zealots. It is too expensive
for families. Games in Sydney don't get more than 20k.

No, again, it has nothing to do with where I live. I've been to four Tigers games this year (3 home and 1 away) as well as most of the Storm home games as well. I used to live in Sydney and attended every Tigers game in Sydney/Newcastle/Canberra for 3 years.

And I'll say again, it has absolutely nothing to do with where I live.
I am not remotely surprised that you go to storm games and make the effort
to see a number of Tigers games each year. You are an enthusiast (you
have made 45000 posts on LU). As I said above, most NRL fans dont
go to matches, as the price is prohibitive. You can just watch it on TV at
a fraction of the cost. For you, rugby league is a serious hobby. Most fans aren't
as zealous as you, and attending 4 Tigers games a year from Melbourne is quite fanatical.

Neither have or will be happening. That's not my decision. That's just the way it is.
Which stand has been condemned? I assume the main grandstand!

You have a breakdown of how many fans are from the Balmain and magpies side of the merger do you?
The new breed of kids from Balmain and Western Suburbs won't be growing up supporting Balmain or the Magpies champ, they'll be supporting Wests Tigers, like they are now.
Wests failed in the past because of archaic club management and abysmal talent retention. Magpies won't be running Wests Tigers. If the Campbelltown area and its talent is properly managed then the team will be a success.
I have no breakdown, only common sense. Balmain generated many fans
during the 80s (a golden era for league). Wests did what they do best,
lose. That is why 20000 people turn up to a condemned stadium and
13000 turn up to a state of the art stadium.

The new breed of kids as you put it do grow up supporting one side of the
merger or the other to some extent. I have two nephew and three nieces, all
wear orange strips (because I supported Balmain). The kids from Campbelltown
wear white. The parents and family buy their paraphenalia. It just isn't quite as
overt as you suggest.

Jeremy Smith lives in Wollongong. Who gives a f**k where the players live. No one lives a 2 minute walk from any footy ground, so they all have to travel to some degree. f**king dopey argument.
The players care where they live. They are cashed up bogans who want to party
where it is trendy. Wollongong has a saving grace in that it is by the beach.

Because their stupid management backloaded his contracted to massive proportions and he was smart enough not to decline such a massive offer.
No, it is because Penrith cant attract players, so they play overs, just
like we did in the early years of the merger.

lol, ok, I thought you were being serious. Turns out your just being a dumb f**k
I can't understand why nobody takes this point seriously. Gallop was
very conservative, and was not going to do anything radical. With a new
independent commission we don't know what they are going to do. There
is a very real possiblility that they will be thinking expansion. That
will mean fewer Sydney clubs. Penrith is a problem club and it makes
sense to merge them. It will be either us or Parramatta. A western
suburbs super club may well be on the cards. Parramatta has a very
large support base by virtue of the golden era of the 80's. If we dump
ex Balmain supporters on mass by moving to Campbelltown, we may
end up in the firing line. The IC is an unknown quantity.

That's not my suggestion. I never came close to suggesting that. Both Balmain and Wests should be leagues clubs that help the existence of the only team to represent them in every grade, Wests Tigers. Without a united team in all grades, we allow bitching from either side to corrode the foundations the merger was built on. Leichhardt is only getting worse and there's potential for Campbelltown to get an upgrade funded by local council if we play there more often. Makes f**king sense.
You suggested shifting all of Leichardt's games to Campbelltown to stop
the Wests fans whinging. I think that would disenfranchise the Balmain
side of the merger. I agree we want to be Wests Tigers across all three
grades.

I know that, but by having the Wests Tigers merged in all grades and no more Balmain or Wests teams, Magpies won't try and go alone because it will kill their clubs and the game in their area.
Agree

CrazyTiger

Juniors
So you mention another forum.
You know me....but we dont know you and your recently new status and name. Who do we know you as before?
Answer troll.

Create an acct and new name to respond to one f**kin thread...LMAO!
Are you proud of yourself?

Grow a pair and respond??
Nah...thats what trolls want...this thread is dead and youre merely divisive.
Ive wasted enough time on you.

Grow a pair, yeh I'll grow a pair, create a new acct with a new name and hide behind that and throw a Tiger amongst the magpies.
f**k off coward....

Wests Tigers.
Thats all.
The real reason you can't respond to my posts is that you simply don't have the
skills required. You possess a basic personality flaw (you can't accept losing an
argument). I've witnessed it time and again across multiple forums. If you can't
win, you call in your buddies to get them banned.

innsaneink

Referee
LOL ..."lose an argument"

Ive posted under this name here for almost 10 years, and the same name on the other forum in its various forms for the same time. I dont have to change my name & hide.
If youre too stupid to get banned...who's the one losing the argument???

Lets try again, what were your previous forum I.D's?
Why are you hiding?

Last edited:

CrazyTiger

Juniors
LOL ..."lose an argument"

Ive posted under this name here for almost 10 years, and the same name on the other forum in its various forms for the same time. I dont have to change my name & hide.
If youre too stupid to get banned...who's the one losing the argument???

Lets try again, what were your previous forum I.D's?
Why are you hiding?

I don't have a previous forum ID here. Unfortunately there is very little Wests Tigers traffic
on LU, since the Wests Tigers forum is extremely dominant. I like to read NRL threads though.

I am not hiding from anyone. If you are really keen you can find out my name and
suburb on the Wests Tigers forum. I get banned from the Wests Tigers forum for
saying things that are unpalatable, eg: suggesting we be called the Sydney Tigers.
Being banned because people don't like your arguments is not losing an argument.

*edit*you might
find yourself stuck on here with next to no one to debate with.

Last edited by a moderator:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Upgraded why? Campbelltown is fine to waatch football from. It doesn't matter how magnificent the stadium is, people will still stay home and watch on TV. It is massively cheaper for a start. Attending games is really for cashed up singles and couples and zealots. It is too expensive for families. Games in Sydney don't get more than 20k.
The local council has agreed to upgrade the stadium if more big game matches are played there. It doesn't matter why. It's an opportunity for Wests Tigers to have a modern large stadium of their own, why knock it back?

I am not remotely surprised that you go to storm games and make the effort to see a number of Tigers games each year. You are an enthusiast (you have made 45000 posts on LU). As I said above, most NRL fans dont go to matches, as the price is prohibitive. You can just watch it on TV at a fraction of the cost. For you, rugby league is a serious hobby. Most fans aren't as zealous as you, and attending 4 Tigers games a year from Melbourne is quite fanatical.
But again, all that aside, it has nothing to do with the argument.

Which stand has been condemned? I assume the main grandstand!
The Latchem stand I believe. Full of whiteants, been unsafe and closed down for a decade now.

I have no breakdown, only common sense.
No, you have a biased assumption.

Balmain generated many fans during the 80s (a golden era for league). Wests did what they do best, lose. That is why 20000 people turn up to a condemned stadium and 13000 turn up to a state of the art stadium.
That's a magnificent stretch of the imagination.

The new breed of kids as you put it do grow up supporting one side of the merger or the other to some extent.
No they don't, they support Wests Tigers.

I have two nephew and three nieces, all wear orange strips (because I supported Balmain). The kids from Campbelltown wear white. The parents and family buy their paraphenalia. It just isn't quite as
overt as you suggest.
The parents buying them certain coloured jumpers doesn't mean the kids support a certain side of the merger. You can still buy retro jumpers for Wests and Balmain. If the kids supported one side of the merger or the other, they'd ask for one of those. But instead they ask for a Wests Tigers jumper.

The players care where they live. They are cashed up bogans who want to party where it is trendy. Wollongong has a saving grace in that it is by the beach.
You're an idiot.

No, it is because Penrith cant attract players, so they play overs, just like we did in the early years of the merger.
You're an idiot.

I can't understand why nobody takes this point seriously. Gallop was very conservative, and was not going to do anything radical. With a new independent commission we don't know what they are going to do. There is a very real possiblility that they will be thinking expansion. That
will mean fewer Sydney clubs. Penrith is a problem club and it makes
sense to merge them. It will be either us or Parramatta. A western
suburbs super club may well be on the cards. Parramatta has a very
large support base by virtue of the golden era of the 80's. If we dump
ex Balmain supporters on mass by moving to Campbelltown, we may
end up in the firing line. The IC is an unknown quantity.
They are not going to force any more mergers after the damage it did to the few areas already merged.

Expansion will only happen under an IC if they believe it will take the game to new areas, bring in new fans etc. Why try and bring in new fans in one hand and then cut off a heap on the other. That's not expansion, thats wasting time and money. The IC aren't stupid. no teams will get cut/merged or even relocated, especially not to accommodate a new club.

Business sense wise, it defies logic.

You suggested shifting all of Leichardt's games to Campbelltown to stop the Wests fans whinging. I think that would disenfranchise the Balmain side of the merger. I agree we want to be Wests Tigers across all three grades.
Well your belief is just an opinion which I happen to believe is wrong.

gronkathon

First Grade
Until either Leichhardt or CSS can provide guaranteed income in terms of paying us to play there I don't see us shifting any games away from Moore Park.

Quickly on the subject of Leichhardt oval MU there is no condemed stand there as it was demolished and the other stand was saved. Latchem Robinson stand is concrete and recently had a corporate facility and media room upgrade. That and before the next game all of the bench seating is likely going to be gone as a new delivery of chairs from the SCG is already delivered to the ground, a move which increases safe capacity etc.

As I have stated elsewhere I am a fan of moving our NYC squad to the macarthur and a greater level of community involvement across the board out there I do not however see a move full time to CSS any time in the forseeable future barring a change to the lease hold agreement at Concord and if that were to occur there are very good deals available in the Homebush precinct which would seem more feesible in terms of a training and admin base than any other options

Until either Leichhardt or CSS can provide guaranteed income in terms of paying us to play there I don't see us shifting any games away from Moore Park.

Quickly on the subject of Leichhardt oval MU there is no condemed stand there as it was demolished and the other stand was saved. Latchem Robinson stand is concrete and recently had a corporate facility and media room upgrade. That and before the next game all of the bench seating is likely going to be gone as a new delivery of chairs from the SCG is already delivered to the ground, a move which increases safe capacity etc.

As I have stated elsewhere I am a fan of moving our NYC squad to the macarthur and a greater level of community involvement across the board out there I do not however see a move full time to CSS any time in the forseeable future barring a change to the lease hold agreement at Concord and if that were to occur there are very good deals available in the Homebush precinct which would seem more feesible in terms of a training and admin base than any other options

Until we regularly sell out both grounds it is a moot point anyway, only then will games will be moved away from LO and CSS.