What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is perth bid so secretive?!

Don't compare Perth's participation rate / rugby league community size today with what was achieved in the peak of the Reds in 1997.

Compare today's participation rate with the early 90s before a commitment to expansion was implemented in 92.

The growth rate that was achieved from when the ARL committed to a team in 92 to 97 was outstanding and shows what is possible.
@Perth Red said it was 10k. Participation rates across the country have dropped since then.

lie.
registered players yes. Neglect will do that.
Last year we got 43k to a rugby league game, never happened before in 75 years of rugby league in perth.

You're telling lies again.

Perth got 43k to a double header. Stop pretending a double header is no different to a standalone game. You had supporters from four teams at the double header bumping up the numbers.

NSWRL games played at the WACA in 1989 and early 1990s drew bigger crowds than NRL games played at PRS over the 15 years.

Perth isn’t as open to rugby league as it was in 95

the turn off due to super league is part of it as is afl being entrenched now more than. 95

a Perth nrl team would be dwarfed by both afl teams

It's doubtful the Reds would have survived without a Super League War.

Before 1995 there was just one major team in Perth. The Eagles.

The Dockers and Reds entered their respective competitions in 1995. Dockers won the battle for fans by a country mile. Now the Eagles and Dockers are far bigger than they were in 1995. The Force had two or three times as many fans as the Reds during their peak. Introducing a Perth-based NRL team now will be a far harder task than it was in 1995.

mongoose

Coach
It's doubtful the Reds would have survived without a Super League War.

Before 1995 there was just one major team in Perth. The Eagles.

The Dockers and Reds entered their respective competitions in 1995. Dockers won the battle for fans by a country mile. Now the Eagles and Dockers are far bigger than they were in 1995. The Force had two or three times as many fans as the Reds during their peak. Introducing a Perth-based NRL team now will be a far harder task than it was in 1995.
agreed. If the Reds had stayed around they might be as big as the Dockers now.

I have no relationship to Perth Red nor his comments. How does that make you commenting on something you know nothing about correct?

I've gone into great detail in other threads on what is needed for Perth. Yes Perth can begin to produce NRL talent consistently within 5-10 years with the right infrastructure. Will Perth fill a whole squad, no way .... but it shouldn't have to.

A 5% increase in Australian wide participation via Perth would be an achievable goal within 5 years, who knows past then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Perth picked up the 20th licence, but only if there isn't a viable consortium from New Zealand bidding for a licence.

A Perth-based team will increase the game's profile in Perth, but not by a great extent. It could double or triple participation, but WARL will never have the same talent pool as the QAFL.

The game will benefit more from NZ2 and Brisbane 3.

If I had my way I'd relocate the Storm to Perth.

Colk

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if Perth picked up the 20th licence, but only if there isn't a viable consortium from New Zealand bidding for a licence.

A Perth-based team will increase the game's profile in Perth, but not by a great extent. It could double or triple participation, but WARL will never have the same talent pool as the QAFL.

That’s also a silly statement

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're telling lies again.

Perth got 43k to a double header. Stop pretending a double header is no different to a standalone game. You had supporters from four teams at the double header bumping up the numbers.

NSWRL games played at the WACA in 1989 and early 1990s drew bigger crowds than NRL games played at PRS over the 15 years.
it was for NRL, perth has never seen a crowd of 43k for club RL before. oh yeh baby!

Perth Red

Post Whore

So you want to get rid of Broncos and Melbourne, two of the games biggest clubs. You're not very bright are you?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why did the force and glory both go into administration or die off ?
Youd have to look at the landscape of Australian football and rugby union in this country to answer that. There's a number of reasons. Poor ownership and poorly run sports codes being the two major ones.

Wb1234

Immortal
Youd have to look at the landscape of Australian football and rugby union in this country to answer that. There's a number of reasons. Poor ownership and poorly run sports codes being the two major ones.
Maybe Perth fans won’t support any sport other than afl long term

all the evidence points to that

trust me bro isn’t a good argument

Wb1234

Immortal
Maybe
Because it is Super Rugby and the A-League. They aren’t going particularly well are they?
twiggy is a billionaire

and even with an unlimited budget they get 5k showing up

Colk

First Grade
Maybe

twiggy is a billionaire

and even with an unlimited budget they get 5k showing up

Yes because it is Super Rugby. How many people are going to watch the Waratahs? Or the Reds? Or the Rebels?

Nobody cares about Rugby Union in this country.

Colk

First Grade
So the argument is trust me bro

if will be different this time (western reds failing)

That’s called expansion mate. Nobody can guarantee anything and the whole argument of well it failed once we shouldn’t try again is so moronic. If we all thought that then human history would be a whole lot different - we might be still living in caves probably.

I look at fumbleball and most other sports in this country and they seem to be able to have teams where the populations are. F*** me if they can manage it why we are so scared?

Also before you throw the whole Suns and Giants angle, I just listened to a podcast where Weidler argued that we should do expansion not because it is intrinsically the best choice but because it might stick it to fumbleball. Seriously, we are that worried about another code in an area where we are dominant. If that doesn’t show you who has the best model for expansion then I can’t help you.

Latest posts