What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Souths the most hated team on here?

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think it's mainly the arrogance without having achieved anything of note since the advent of colour TV.

This pretty much

Articles in the media with quote upon quote of how they have the "biggest pack in the game" and that "this is our year" coming out each off season since the privatisation dont help either.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The fact that they call themselves the pride of the league and go on about 'twenny pwemierships' grates me. Yes, be proud of your history but that's exactly what it is Ancient f**king History. Congratulations on beating Glebe, University, Cumberland and Annadale but pride of the league? Laughable. A eunuch in a brothel has had more success than this mob in the modern era.

I don't hate them though, I lol@ them. Lol@50uff$.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm not talking about just the fans. The players and all those surrounding the club are equally as guilty. Have you seen the DT today? So much premature ejaculation going on I'm amazed the paper hasn't dissolved.

Then there's the fact you have some of the most hateable players in the NRL playing for you, from arrogant idiots like Taylor, dishonourable vermin like Inglis, and downright thugs like Crocker and Luke.

At the end of the day, there's far more to hate about your club than there is to like about it, and that's without even touching on the unbearable fans.

Knightmare

Coach
Not to mention the wankfest over being "Pride of the League" or "When Souths are doing well, Rugby League is doing well"- I mean what, surely the game has had one good season since 1971, bar 1989?

The hypocrisy and short memories of the fans leaves a lot to be desired as well. Where is the gratefulness extended to all those fans of other clubs who marched back in 2000 to show their support for Souths' right to play in the NRL? Why exactly is it that all the crowing about how "We're a real footy club- not some soulless, privately owned franchise!" went silent the moment Rusty and PHac promised tons of cash?

Last edited:

woodyk2

First Grade
I wouldnt say I hate them,it would actually be a bit of a giggle if they won the lot to be honest.

BranVan3000

Coach
This pretty much

Articles in the media with quote upon quote of how they have the "biggest pack in the game" and that "this is our year" coming out each off season since the privatisation dont help either.
Lots of teams do that, see Parra this year and already next year. Plenty of talk from Canberra about having the best pack too.

Frankly we have recruited well for the past four years and haven't lived up to our potential but you can say that for lots of teams.

t-ba

Post Whore
Jealousy .
A lot of other fans are jealous of the Souths history of success combined with the last 40 years of poor results makes them an easy target for the jealous haters.
why would you pick on the Sharks who have never won a comp or other teams that have had limited success over the last 40 years.

The haters worst fear is Souths winning a GF.

This.

Not the contents of the post, but the message the post implies.

I've witnessed three premierships with my own eyes, two great sides and one of the best forwards the game has ever seen in my life. The last two of those have been done as one of the relative paupers of the competition. All I've seen from Souths is one catostrophe after another and a club that has, until recent years, expected everyone to respect it for its history while it fails to engage with its clearly large supporter base and basically takes a massive sh*t on it's own impressive heritage.

Souths have 20 premierships, but I bet you every Manly, Broncos and Canterbury fan has witnessed more GF victories than any Souths fan on here. And that's the point. Heritage is worth jack if you're useless. Just ask Valleys about that.

I wish them well, but not too well. A few painful failures before the inevitable big prize is all I ask.

the dude

Juniors
I was sitting on the train to the city, a bloke in front of me was having a convo about NRL, from what I could tell he was a Tigers supporter.. He was nothing but complimentary about Souths and says it is really good to see them doing well. One of my Dragons supporting friends wants Souths to win the comp this year. I think most people like seeing Souths do well.

Most of the hate is on this forum.

BranVan3000

Coach
I'm not talking about just the fans. The players and all those surrounding the club are equally as guilty. Have you seen the DT today? So much premature ejaculation going on I'm amazed the paper hasn't dissolved.

Then there's the fact you have some of the most hateable players in the NRL playing for you, from arrogant idiots like Taylor, dishonourable vermin like Inglis, and downright thugs like Crocker and Luke.

At the end of the day, there's far more to hate about your club than there is to like about it, and that's without even touching on the unbearable fans.

not one word of that is from players. Writing about Souths sells papers. Not trying to sound arrogant about that but it's true. Who really cares what is in the DT anyway? And don't act like your players are saints

the dude

Juniors
Crocker is not a thug. He was when he played for the Scum but he is a good leader these days.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
I'm just curious as to the reason? Sure I get the rival teams like Dragons and Roosters, but it seems like everybody on here has it in for Souths more than any other team.

In my opinion, it is because the majority of league fans on here are zealots, who garner
a part of their identity through rugby league. As a part of this, many of these zealots
think rugby league really is "the greatest game of all" and should expand to every corner
of the earth. These kinds of people see Souths as having blocked expansion and in
doing so, reducing their own sense of self importance.

On the flip side, there are those (myself included) who see a club who stood up against all the
odds and won. They divide opinion and it is fantastic to see the club I hated most in
my youth climb the lofty heights.

Congratulations South Sydney. There will be a lot of people on your band wagon
once theirs teams are done.

Sleep

Juniors
I for one would love it if Souths won it all. Not because I care for the team at all, but the sheer amount of LOLs that would result in so many different forms.

There's far worse teams and fans.

For the genuine people who hate them and aren't part of some online circle wank there's a few reasons.

Souths fans think that the game owes them.
Souths fans act superior as if the game revolved around them and their ancient achievements.
Ungrateful merkins. I've never met a souths fan who is grateful for the support that the rugby league community gave them when they were kicked out. People like Nick Politis, saints and Roosters fans who are rivals rallied behind them as did the rest of the league community.

I made a detailed post last year on the issue, I'll dig that up when I get on the computer.

Souths have 20 premierships, good on them. I'm not jealous of their 20 or st george's 15 I'm jealous of Brisbane for sustaining relevance for 20 years.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The simple fact is that I think a lot of posters on this site are 15 years of age or less and have no recollection of Souths ever being even remotely competitive and don’t understand what Souths supporters feel that they have every right to be proud of and don’t appreciate that most of the superlatives (including the often mentioned and maligned ‘Pride of the League’ tag) were given to us by people from outside the club. Like Claude Corbett in 1925. Clubs like St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers have no history to draw upon and would much prefer that we didn’t either and I believe resent the fact. The rest either just don’t like Russell Crowe or Bunniesman.

In saying that this website does not reflect a fair cross-section of the greater rugby league community. Most of the outright hate is only found here and on an Easts forum.

Danish

Referee
I thought of another reason.

Souths fans get far more butthurt than any other club's fans when other posters make fun of their team, thus the lolling at them has become a sport for most posters rather than any sign of actual hatred

Latest posts