What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Souths the most hated team on here?

gronkathon

First Grade
TT summed it up about right with the Ungrateful Merkins point.

That and really any member of my family who followed league have hated Souths regardless of the team they supported. So in a way it is carrying on family tradition

BunniesMan

Immortal
I wish them well, but not too well. A few painful failures before the inevitable big prize is all I ask.
Your wish has been granted a thousand times over. Hypothetically, say we win it this year, we've had two generations of painful failures before "the big prize".

From the 67-71 dynasty being knocked to pieces by big clubs. Then finally in the late 80s we build a good team again after what then was a lengthy period in the wilderness of near 20 years. That team gets dismantled by the rich clubs before it even got to the top.

Then basically the entire decade that is the 90s. Including everything Super League and News did to us.

Then finally getting back into the comp only to be a laughing stock for 5 consecutive seasons.

Then all the optimism of the Crowe/HaC purchase turning into a solitary finals game and our promising young coach getting into a fistfight with a player and we promptly go back to the 02-06 days in 2008.

Then finally we make some good pays and have a decent squad, look good on paper every Febuary for 3 straight years only to finish 9th or 10th 3 years in a row with a significantly above average injury list.

Finally 2012 comes around and the hype and great team on paper talk looks like actually translating into a good team in real life for the first time in my lifetime. Say we do see the promised land this year. We've had more than our share of "painful failures" on the way.

bottle

Coach
In all honesty I never 'hated' them. In fact I had an enormous amount of goodwill towards them and would've been all too happy to have seen them snare a long awaited Premmy. I was a supporter of the reinclusion, and wanted to see them do well. The 20 Premierships talk is valid and deserved imo, and is intrinsic to the history of the club and the game. Far from being jealous of it, I embraced it for what it was.

Then I ventured on here. I was exposed to Nemiidiot, STD, Fein (or Fien, or Fine, I've lost track), and ultimately of course, LookatmeMan. Arrogance, delusion, abuse, a dismissiveness towards the history and culture of other clubs in the game seemed to be the norm. Sure there are are the good guys like Ziggy and some others, but far too many tools.

Plenty of clubs have their loser trolls on here to be sure, but the Souths contingent wore me down. My goodwill has dried up and shrivelled away. At first it was replaced by ambivalence, then antipathy, and now it has festered into a smug satisfaction when they fail.

I understand thet it's silly, trivial and irrational to let unknown and anonymous entities get to you, but that's what happens in the virtual world I suppose. Besides, little about sport caters to our rational and reasoned sides. It's about passion and our more basic instinctual selves.

All this aside, most of the supporters I've met in the real world, from any club, are usually just normal, well adjusted individuals supporting their team. On here though, I'll be happy if Souths don't do well just to see some posters get their come uppance and stfu for a while.

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt. 'Cause it says like, I wanna be formal but I’m here to party too. I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party.

Danish

Referee
The simple fact is that I think a lot of posters on this site are 15 years of age or less and have no recollection of Souths ever being even remotely competitive and don?t understand what Souths supporters feel that they have every right to be proud of and don?t appreciate that most of the superlatives (including the often mentioned and maligned ?Pride of the League? tag) were given to us by people from outside the club. Like Claude Corbett in 1925. Clubs like St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers have no history to draw upon and would much prefer that we didn?t either and I believe resent the fact. The rest either just don?t like Russell Crowe or Bunniesman.

In saying that this website does not reflect a fair cross-section of the greater rugby league community. Most of the outright hate is only found here and on an Easts forum.

:lol:

Perfect example of the champagne comedy that is spouted by Souths fans when their club is questioned

grandorient

Bench
I don't hate Souths, or for that matter, any club, although I always have a smile on my face when the Tigers get done.

In fact, if Saints don't make it this year, I hope Souths can go all the way.

GO

age.s

First Grade
Most of the Souths supporters on here and in RL are fine. Its pretty much just agent Bunniesman. He came here with a goal and he's achieved it.

successful_troll.jpg

CrazyTiger

Juniors
The simple fact is that I think a lot of posters on this site are 15 years of age or less and have no recollection of Souths ever being even remotely competitive and don?t understand what Souths supporters feel that they have every right to be proud of and don?t appreciate that most of the superlatives (including the often mentioned and maligned ?Pride of the League? tag) were given to us by people from outside the club. Like Claude Corbett in 1925. Clubs like St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers have no history to draw upon and would much prefer that we didn?t either and I believe resent the fact. The rest either just don?t like Russell Crowe or Bunniesman.

In saying that this website does not reflect a fair cross-section of the greater rugby league community. Most of the outright hate is only found here and on an Easts forum.

I think the last sentence is pretty spot on, and yes there are probably a lot of 15 year olds
who join in the Souths bullying because it seems cool because everyone does it. I
think your attitude towards St George and Wests Tigers is a rather juvenile.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Your wish has been granted a thousand times over. Hypothetically, say we win it this year, we've had two generations of painful failures before "the big prize".

From the 67-71 dynasty being knocked to pieces by big clubs. Then finally in the late 80s we build a good team again after what then was a lengthy period in the wilderness of near 20 years. That team gets dismantled by the rich clubs before it even got to the top.

Then basically the entire decade that is the 90s. Including everything Super League and News did to us.

Then finally getting back into the comp only to be a laughing stock for 5 consecutive seasons.

Then all the optimism of the Crowe/HaC purchase turning into a solitary finals game and our promising young coach getting into a fistfight with a player and we promptly go back to the 02-06 days in 2008.

Then finally we make some good pays and have a decent squad, look good on paper every Febuary for 3 straight years only to finish 9th or 10th 3 years in a row with a significantly above average injury list.

Finally 2012 comes around and the hype and great team on paper talk looks like actually translating into a good team in real life for the first time in my lifetime. Say we do see the promised land this year. We've had more than our share of "painful failures" on the way.
Cool story Sis. Too bad you've only been a souths fan for 5 minutes.

bottle

Coach

Case in point.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I think it's mainly to do with Souths "supporters" on this forum. A handful of trolls who help paint the rest Of the REAL supporters like inbreed hillbillys with about a buck fiddy to our name.

Media also plays a part in it as well, talking it up before the 1st try is scored for the season.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I think the last sentence is pretty spot on, and yes there are probably a lot of 15 year olds
who join in the Souths bullying because it seems cool because everyone does it. I
think your attitude towards St George and Wests Tigers is a rather juvenile.

Yeah. To be honest I don't really believe half of what I write. I don't take this place too seriously. It would probably be best if others didn't either.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Ungrateful merkins. I've never met a souths fan who is grateful for the support that the rugby league community gave them when they were kicked out. People like Nick Politis, saints and Roosters fans who are rivals rallied behind them as did the rest of the league community.
Firstly, not all of the "rest of the league community". A part of it thought that was the right decision and wishes to this day for us to get kicked out again.

Secondly, I've never met an informed Souths fan (someone who actually knows about the 99-01 period) who is NOT grateful for all the supporters of our cause who were fans of other teams.

The tens of thousands who marched weren't all Souths fans and they weren't marching just for Souths. They were marching for what was fair and just and good and they were marching for rugby league as a whole and they were just marching because it was the right thing to do. I am grateful and I don't know of any Souths fan who isn't.

Wow, that's a funny quote.. wonder where I heard that recently?

Oh yeah.. the souffs forum:
It's a Simpsons quote dickhead. Don't act like you created it.

some11

Referee
Jealousy .
A lot of other fans are jealous of the Souths history of success combined with the last 40 years of poor results makes them an easy target for the jealous haters.

why would you pick on the Sharks who have never won a comp or other teams that have had limited success over the last 40 years.

The haters worst fear is Souths winning a GF.

To answer the OP, because of people like this.

How you could possibly be jealous of a team that was kicked out of the competition, then go on to win 3 wooden spoons after being graciously re-admitted is beyond me.

There are a couple of humble Souths supporters but they are few and far between.

gronkathon

First Grade
On a serious note fans like Ziggy, SSTID and others deserve to see their team have that slice of glory at the end of the year.

My experience is that they are in the minority on forums and IRL though

BranVan3000

Coach
For the genuine people who hate them and aren't part of some online circle wank there's a few reasons.

Souths fans think that the game owes them.
Souths fans act superior as if the game revolved around them and their ancient achievements.
Ungrateful merkins. I've never met a souths fan who is grateful for the support that the rugby league community gave them when they were kicked out. People like Nick Politis, saints and Roosters fans who are rivals rallied behind them as did the rest of the league community.

I made a detailed post last year on the issue, I'll dig that up when I get on the computer.

Souths have 20 premierships, good on them. I'm not jealous of their 20 or st george's 15 I'm jealous of Brisbane for sustaining relevance for 20 years.
The game doesn't owe us. But really we lean on our history because we have to. When we are successful, if it continues, you will see more Souths fans admit that.

Only the Dogs officially rallied behind us. Other teams came to our aid as individuals in the marches which we are grateful for, but we really needed the support of the teams of the league and we never got it. Not before exclusion or after it. We fought our way back in, why do you act like we owe the Roosters something for that? We owe something to the supportrs of rugby league who saw the wrong thing had been done and supported us.

We have a deep seeded bitterness about being kicked out, but is that really a surprise? We don't blame the other teams though, even ones like the Sharks who went againt us. We blame News Ltd, their cronies in league and the papers that campaigned against us and the scum dividing the game at the time.

Latest posts