What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Souths the most hated team on here?

Valheru

Coach
In answer to the OP, Russel Crowe would be a good start and the lowest, grubbiest, toothless souths fan would be a good finish. I hate everything in between including their history, their players both current and past and their attitude in general.

I genuinely hope they never ever win another premiership ever again. For the first time in my life I will barrack for the bulldogs on grand final day if it is them and souths. Of course if that is what eventuates, I will know that the world really is ending in December this year.

juro

Bench
You hate their fans? Souths fans have stuck by their team through thick and thin, and are still there now. I don't see what's to hate
How can you say this with a straight face? How many people marched to get Souths back into the competition? What was the average crowd the year before they were kicked out? What was the average crowd the year after they were reinstated?

The vast majority of Souths fans are a bunch of bandwagoners. They will show up in great numbers when it is trendy - when they have Ray Martin or Mike Whitney to lead them around, or when they are having a successful year like now. But when they are doing nothing, the only evidence is the bunny stickers on cars and empty seats in stadiums.

Big Sam

First Grade
Souths fans think that the game owes them.
Souths fans act superior as if the game revolved around them and their ancient achievements.
Ungrateful merkins. I've never met a souths fan who is grateful for the support that the rugby league community gave them when they were kicked out. People like Nick Politis, saints and Roosters fans who are rivals rallied behind them as did the rest of the league community.

WTF are you smoking Tonearm? What is this revisionist crap?

We got no support in 1999 from those clubs and individuals you've mentioned. The 14 clubs, yours included, were quite happy to kick us out and raid out junior base. If Politis was so supportive why were there poster ads put up for Roosters games in Malabar and Maroubra throughout the 2000 season? He seemed quite happy to have a new market for supporters and junior talent. I can also distinctly remember Dennis Fitzgerald gleefully saying that our last round game in 1999 at Parra Stadium would be our last ever. The only semblance of support we got from the clubs you mentioned was through their supporters at the two rallies. And anyway the vast majority of those supporting us were Norths and Wests fans.

As for answering the OP's actual question the answer is, quite simply jealousy. Jealousy that we're financially sound, have a huge supporter base, have recruited well on and off the field, and are now enjoying on-field success. I wasn't on this forum in 2007 but I very much doubt there would've been as many forumites as there are now wishing us failure in the finals back then.

And let me say to the Souths-haters on this forum, you reap what you so. If you think some of us are insufferable now, we will all be 100 times as worse should we be victorious on 30/9 purely because of the hate we've been copping these last 3 years.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
There are many reasons. As said the whole ‘pride of the league’ thing. I don’t know a single non souths fan who is proud of souths. The fans go on and on about the 20 premierships like we are all meant to bow down before them. I don’t care about anything that happened before I was born. If the tigers had of won the last 75 premierships before I was born it wouldn’t mean sh*t to me. Its like your great grand father telling you about all the pussy he used to get when he was 20. The fans reek of arrogance despite having absolutely no reason too.
I was one of the many neutral fans who marched for souths to get back into the comp. I went to the USA game at redfern and the You Am I concert/fundraiser. I bet I did more to get souths back in the comp then most of their fans on here did. As soon as they re-entered instead of a thanks, souths fans gave every clubs supporters a big ‘f*ck you’* and went back to their scummy ways. If a Sydney team got kicked out now I guarantee souths fans wouldn’t lift a finger to help, they’d probably be the first ones laughing.
I know every fan base has a certain mong element, and believe me the tigers have their share, but souths have by far the biggest. At Sundays game I thought I was in an 80s time warp. The majority of souths fans look like they live in a caravan park and have never worked a day in their life. They don’t understand the most basic rules of the game, swear and carry on much worse then any other fans by far.
At Sundays game they showed the highlights from last weeks win against saints. The ‘highlights’ consisted of all the tries souths scored, along with Inglis knocking out Young and Burgess pushing Morris into the signage. When they showed the Inglis hit the stadium erupted in applause like they had just witnesses souths win the grand final. Cheering a bloke getting knocked out, absolute scum.
Russell crowe publicly bagged out other teams saying he doesn’t play ‘chequebook’ rugby league…then proceeded to buy Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi, David Taylor, Greg Inligs etc, then had the hid to slam Chris Sandow for leaving for better money.
This year the team has a certain amount of ‘thugness’ about them. I like Sam Burgess but this year he has gone on with so much unnecessary crap its ridiculous, pushing Brett Morris well after he had scored is a prime example. Dave Taylor and Issac Luke are two of the least likeable players in the NRL. Taylor is the biggest bloke in the NRL but only ever runs at blokes 40kgs lighter then him then carries on like he has run over the top of mike Tyson. Luke is filth and purposely tries to injure players. Then the whole Greg Inglis ‘planes don’t fly in the rain’ thing. They are just an unlikable team.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The vast majority of Souths fans are a bunch of bandwagoners. They will show up in great numbers when it is trendy - when they have Ray Martin or Mike Whitney to lead them around, or when they are having a successful year like now. But when they are doing nothing, the only evidence is the bunny stickers on cars and empty seats in stadiums.
Roflmao. Us? Bandwagoners? Fmd, look at our crowd numbers between 2007 and 2011 for a team that hadn't won a finals game in that period. It matched and even surpassed more successful teams like the Roosters and Manly in that period.

yobbo84

Coach
Why would you care what a bunch of people on an online forum think?

We're having our best season in 23 years. Just sit back and enjoy it for once!

Valheru

Coach
There are many reasons. As said the whole ?pride of the league? thing. I don?t know a single non souths fan who is proud of souths. The fans go on and on about the 20 premierships like we are all meant to bow down before them. I don?t care about anything that happened before I was born. If the tigers had of won the last 75 premierships before I was born it wouldn?t mean sh*t to me. Its like your great grand father telling you about all the pussy he used to get when he was 20. The fans reek of arrogance despite having absolutely no reason too.
I was one of the many neutral fans who marched for souths to get back into the comp. I went to the USA game at redfern and the You Am I concert/fundraiser. I bet I did more to get souths back in the comp then most of their fans on here did. As soon as they re-entered instead of a thanks, souths fans gave every clubs supporters a big ?f*ck you?* and went back to their scummy ways. If a Sydney team got kicked out now I guarantee souths fans wouldn?t lift a finger to help, they?d probably be the first ones laughing.
I know every fan base has a certain mong element, and believe me the tigers have their share, but souths have by far the biggest. At Sundays game I thought I was in an 80s time warp. The majority of souths fans look like they live in a caravan park and have never worked a day in their life. They don?t understand the most basic rules of the game, swear and carry on much worse then any other fans by far.
At Sundays game they showed the highlights from last weeks win against saints. The ?highlights? consisted of all the tries souths scored, along with Inglis knocking out Young and Burgess pushing Morris into the signage. When they showed the Inglis hit the stadium erupted in applause like they had just witnesses souths win the grand final. Cheering a bloke getting knocked out, absolute scum.
Russell crowe publicly bagged out other teams saying he doesn?t play ?chequebook? rugby league?then proceeded to buy Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi, David Taylor, Greg Inligs etc, then had the hid to slam Chris Sandow for leaving for better money.
This year the team has a certain amount of ?thugness? about them. I like Sam Burgess but this year he has gone on with so much unnecessary crap its ridiculous, pushing Brett Morris well after he had scored is a prime example. Dave Taylor and Issac Luke are two of the least likeable players in the NRL. Taylor is the biggest bloke in the NRL but only ever runs at blokes 40kgs lighter then him then carries on like he has run over the top of mike Tyson. Luke is filth and purposely tries to injure players. Then the whole Greg Inglis ?planes don?t fly in the rain? thing. They are just an unlikable team.

:clap:

Jealousy .
A lot of other fans are jealous of the Souths history of success combined with the last 40 years of poor results makes them an easy target for the jealous haters.
why would you pick on the Sharks who have never won a comp or other teams that have had limited success over the last 40 years.

The haters worst fear is Souths winning a GF.

Oh, that's been fertile ground for years.

HowHigh

Coach
Pretty much because of Bunniesman
This + a few other of the fans on here is why I dislike Souths (or at least reading about them on this forum)

Besides them I've got really nothing against Souths and they're playing some entertaining footy this year.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'll be cheering on Souths come finals time once the Knights are out of the equation.

Playing a good style of footy with a number of exciting players and with a lot of their own juniors to boot. Good on them, it's been a long time coming for their fans.

Roflmao. Us? Bandwagoners? Fmd, look at our crowd numbers between 2007 and 2011 for a team that hadn't won a finals game in that period. It matched and even surpassed more successful teams like the Roosters and Manly in that period.

You're the biggest dick riding c**k gobbler on the forum.

You're only a Souths "fan" to dick ride Greg Inglis the way you're a Miami Heat "fan" to dick ride Lebrob James. Everyone knows you're a dick rider.

gUt

Coach
I'm just curious as to the reason? Sure I get the rival teams like Dragons and Roosters, but it seems like everybody on here has it in for Souths more than any other team.

Melbourne is the most hated, followed by Brisbane. Souths are just an easy and deserving target of scorn.

BranVan3000

Coach
On Bunniesman he was pretty unbearable for a while two years ago, but he has cleaned up his act a lot lately. Really there are worse posters floating around. At least Bunniesman tries to bring some good content to this forum occasionally, even if he still ends up the forum punching bag no matter what he posts

Flapper

First Grade
If the Tiges can't win I would love Souths to win. It would take a truly soulless merkin to not enjoy the sheer joy that will erupt all over Sydney.

Besides I don't think their fans are that bad. Saints fans are winning that race to the bottom by a country mile.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
On a serious note, what were Souths supposed to do when we were readmitted? Send delegates to every residence in Sydney with a fruit basket as a token of our appreciation for supporting us whilst we were out fighting for our lives? The absolute fact is that the only 2 clubs that showed us any support - officially - were the Dogs and Newcastle and I will forever respect them for that. It is why I rarely say a bad word about those 2 clubs. The other 12 clubs were genuinely OK to see us die. Clubs only care about themselves. Don't be naive.

If I could shake the hand of every person who supported us when we were out I personally would. I don't drink but I'd but you a beer too. F@ck it I'd buy you a case. But I think the thought that we as a club actually owed anyone anything is incredibly naive and certain the weakest of all reasons to dislike the club.

WTF are you smoking Tonearm? What is this revisionist crap?

We got no support in 1999 from those clubs and individuals you've mentioned. The 14 clubs, yours included, were quite happy to kick us out and raid out junior base. If Politis was so supportive why were there poster ads put up for Roosters games in Malabar and Maroubra throughout the 2000 season? He seemed quite happy to have a new market for supporters and junior talent. I can also distinctly remember Dennis Fitzgerald gleefully saying that our last round game in 1999 at Parra Stadium would be our last ever. The only semblance of support we got from the clubs you mentioned was through their supporters at the two rallies. And anyway the vast majority of those supporting us were Norths and Wests fans.

As for answering the OP's actual question the answer is, quite simply jealousy. Jealousy that we're financially sound, have a huge supporter base, have recruited well on and off the field, and are now enjoying on-field success. I wasn't on this forum in 2007 but I very much doubt there would've been as many forumites as there are now wishing us failure in the finals back then.

And let me say to the Souths-haters on this forum, you reap what you so. If you think some of us are insufferable now, we will all be 100 times as worse should we be victorious on 30/9 purely because of the hate we've been copping these last 3 years.

You germs are the last pricks to ever talk about raiding a junior base after your snake move to the NSWRFL complaining about Easts.

BranVan3000

Coach
Why would you care what a bunch of people on an online forum think?

We're having our best season in 23 years. Just sit back and enjoy it for once!

I'm used to it all now. At this point I'm just curious why it is the way it is around here

Galeforce

Bench
This.

Not the contents of the post, but the message the post implies.

I've witnessed three premierships with my own eyes, two great sides and one of the best forwards the game has ever seen in my life. The last two of those have been done as one of the relative paupers of the competition. All I've seen from Souths is one catostrophe after another and a club that has, until recent years, expected everyone to respect it for its history while it fails to engage with its clearly large supporter base and basically takes a massive sh*t on it's own impressive heritage.

Souths have 20 premierships, but I bet you every Manly, Broncos and Canterbury fan has witnessed more GF victories than any Souths fan on here. And that's the point. Heritage is worth jack if you're useless. Just ask Valleys about that.

I wish them well, but not too well. A few painful failures before the inevitable big prize is all I ask.

This.
you lose your bet
I have witnessed 4 GF wins by Souths , i was there at each GF 1967 to 1971.
This
During the good times , my focus was Souths and i was optimistic and did not waste my time bagging or laughing at other teams who were in poor form.
During the bad times , my focus is still Souths and i have kept my optimism.

I now respond strongly to tools who instead of focusing on their teams , instead get their kicks from laughing and making fun of Souths and their overly one eyed supporters who do have optimism.
What these supporters miss and do not understand is what it is like to have a rich history of success. STG fans can understand it when they wish , Roosters fans can to an extent , however history reminds them painfully , they have always been in our shadow.

Latest posts