What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not Corey Allen to FB?

NRLMad

Juniors
Sloan is obviously a super talent in attack, he could be a good 5/8 - why not play Corey Allen at FB - that was where he was best, and played into a qld spot, or is he not very good anymore?

Budpower

Juniors
could happen..ld love to see Zac have a go at fullback, in the game he was let loose there last season he was on fire, We coupd even end up like this..l

Lomax
Tamale
Allen
Suli
Rav
Volkman
Hunt

hewi

Bench
All will come down to pre season form there are alternatives for both FB and winger (1 anyway) , Allen has runs on the board so IMO both Feagai and Sloan are going to both be looking over there shoulders. I also agree that switching Sloan from possibly wing to FB in attack would be a great option. I really think that we will see a huge difference with Flanagan as coach.

Lennyb

Juniors
The coach outlined the boxes that needed to be ticked.

He chose a different option.

Hopefully he has realised his error and puts the team first, from now on.

possm

Coach
could happen..ld love to see Zac have a go at fullback, in the game he was let loose there last season he was on fire, We coupd even end up like this..l

Lomax
Tamale
Allen
Suli
Rav
Volkman
Hunt
Looks to be a good attacking side, only I do not know much about Tamale. So, are you thinking that Sloan should come back through reserve grade?

TheRev

Coach
I think they will all get a shot in pre-season to impress.. hopefully it will be obvious which one is ready... Training is never the same as match practice mind you.

It is possible they had a specific position in mine for Allen though.. atleast we have 'an' option now.. and we are also assuming Suli will remain as a centre.. I think he will have first crack having just signed a 4yr deal.

Budpower

Juniors
Looks to be a good attacking side, only I do not know much about Tamale. So, are you thinking that Sloan should come back through reserve grade?
Depends if Tamale is ready to tackle men and handle the D of first grade, hes an incredible player, Sloan just misses to many tackles and shoulder grabs to be winger..Sevs got incredible leg power, he reminds me of a faster more flashy Matt Utai, I just think hed bring the ball back harder than Sloan and possibly be just as good an attack weapon with stronger leg drive and if Flanno can get him tackling like that ol bulldog wed be onto a great potential in him

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If we break down the game of a top4 team and have a look at where their FB and wingers are catching the ball and returning it………..it is chalk and cheese how much pressure a FB at Dragons is encountering.

That is hugely on our pack and kicking game to get us better field position so that our FB etc is taking the kick return in an easier part of the field.

But I suspect it is not just the goal line tackling and kick return that are under the microscope.

It is probably game management of our defensive line and when we think of the greats like Billy Slater they never ever stop shifting our numbers in the defensive line. Continual talking and key information for our line to make great decisions.

Old Timer

Coach
If Sloan is ready to go and has ticked the boxes set by Flanno, he should start at fullback. He's come this far on ability, now he needs the coaching and a last we have one.

Sadly, it's been missing. Bud has moved on and Amone lost his mind.
He has come this far because there was nobody else simple as that and the Lomax shift had long been shelved.

If anyone thinks that Sloan and someone else can swap positions in attack and defence how many tackles in a set would that be for as obviously you are acknowledging deficiencies so what are they tackling, catching, committing, positioning and aren’t these critical in other backline positions?

He is either a 1st grade FB or nothing.

possm

Coach
If we break down the game of a top4 team and have a look at where their FB and wingers are catching the ball and returning it………..it is chalk and cheese how much pressure a FB at Dragons is encountering.

That is hugely on our pack and kicking game to get us better field position so that our FB etc is taking the kick return in an easier part of the field.

But I suspect it is not just the goal line tackling and kick return that are under the microscope.

It is probably game management of our defensive line and when we think of the greats like Billy Slater they never ever stop shifting our numbers in the defensive line. Continual talking and key information for our line to make great decisions.
Well, at least you understand the problem. This is the reason Sloan is not ready for fullback at first-grade level. Either he plays wing and gains the skills and first-grade experience from this position (as many a good fullback over the years have done), or he comes through reserve grade in the fullback position (which may block a young fullback with good potential).

Either way, Sloan is not ready for the fullback position at NRL level.

Mojo

Bench

Billy even perfected tackling feet first.

NRLMad

Juniors
I’m pretty sure that Allan will start as he was very solid previously when I saw him play fb. I though it was strange that he moved to the roosters, he could really cause a dent in sloans plans. Sloan just doesn’t seem to have that hunger, you can see he has the talent.

However, is he better than prestos son? I would take him over Sloan. He should be working as hard as he can on his defence and he’s sorted

NRLMad

Juniors
Faegais have talent but are just slow as. what were they thinking through the lower grades? I’m slow but can make it to the nrl? Would they not work on their pace. It good to support our juniors but they have 1/10 the quality of nightingale or blacklock or Ricky or any number of other wingers, rava is also too big for his position and found out quite a bit

Latest posts