What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why we like gridiron

HAL

Juniors
cowboys cheergirls

science of the game: designing offensive plays and vice versa with the defense

commentary terms: pressin the hole,in the slot,wildcat and my favourite shotgun formation

distinct playing uniforms: steelers,giants and saints

atmosphere: raiders fans crazy,packers fans inspiring

stadiums: lambeau and cowboys,but what about soldier-field have you seen that stadium before it was upgraded a classic football ground but still not going to complain with what is still a good modern stadium.

i could go on,but its a shame the sport is not more popular here,but as you all know growing up watching the greatest game of all, it would take time more time and an open mind to get newcomers to understand and appreciate american football

Last edited:

dragonfire

Bench
i started watching nfl because of Reggie Bush's highlights on youtube and subsequently went for the Saints. Took me a good year to really get my head around the game and get accustomed to the speed of the game and the intricate details that are required in it.

Man the normals uniforms are good but some of teh throwbacks are awesome. Love the Steelers black jersey with gold helmet and the Broncos throwback with brown and yellow was great. The worst has to be the Seahawks lime green jersey, seriously.

For me i have to one day get to the superdome, obviously someof the other arenas like the black hole and lambeau would be great but a dome would be like nothing else in terms of atmosphere!

HAL

Juniors
yeah reg is a great athlete,
your right about the seahawks jersey very different but they make up for it with that stadium of theres wow it's loud and a stunning design,
love the jets throw back jersey,
yeah been following the game for about 3 years now it took me about five to ten games to start to get my head around what was going on out there and still learing about the game all the time which is great,
i miss john madden in the booth that guy was fantastic could break the game down easy

Southernsaint

Staff member
I had always had an affinity with the sport but no particular team to folllow.

I went to America on holidays and fell in love with the atmosphere of being in a bar in NYC with all the Giants fans as they played in the "Manning Bowl" against the Colts.

Giants for life!!

coach

Not sure why I started to follow the game or the Cowboys. But I have been a fan for around 25 years now.

I love the game and the Cowboys. So much so that the Cowboys are my favourite sporting team amd american football is my favourite sport.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with everything.

For me, my best mate was a mad Raiders fan. He used to watch the games and play Madden all the time. I started watching games with him and playing Madden and I got hooked. Madden taught me a lot about the game and I started watching them on Fox because I was hooked.

Now, even though I am still far from an expert (it is such a difficult but awesome sport), I love it.

The theatre...The drama...The athleticism...The power...The emotion...The rivalries...The atmopshere...The power...

I LOVE my Eels and I LOVE league, but I have to say...I think the NFL is the best sporting league in the world, period - so much so that, even though I am a mad Raiders fan, I could happily watch any other team and have fun. I could watch Dallas, Green Bay, the Giants, the Steelers, the Ravens - anyone - and still enjoy the game. In the NRL, try as I might, I don't care for any other team but the Eels.

I love the NFL.

started with madden with me.

sussed the san diego team as id been to san diego that year i first got madden (03)

thought "this team sucks, except for this Tomlinson guy"

went from there.

Shorty

Staff member
Love the coaching aspects of all sports, love strategy and winning games through smarts.
It's very rare that you have a combination of brains and brawn evenly matched and with either just as important to win games, so I think that's where Gridiron stands out to every other sport.

I love how America goes crazy for it in highschool, in college and in the professional league.
But I love seeing the plays unfold and executed perfectly, it is not easy to pass and catch like that, especially with about 10 cm of room to point your toes!

I like Dallas because of the glamour attached to it and the huge legacy attached to the club, they really were the only choice for me.
I will say though as a kid I had a Miami Dophins cap and loved it - And I thoroughly enjoy watching that team as well.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I love the science and tactics behind every play
i love that for a play to work, every man must do his job, even the wide recievers on a run play need to sell the thrown or block downfield.

I love the big hits, great plays and athletisim of the players. Guys that size shouldnt be able to move that quickly

I love the attitude that comes from the players. I love that every play could be a TD. TBH the sport is awesome. Never a dull moment.... unless its a browns v bills game haha

Ridders

Coach
Mainly because it gets so much coverage on ESPN that I eventually found to enjoy it.

I still find it to be slow at times, but the tactical aspect of the game is awesome.

Monk

Referee
My love for the NFL started at the beach one fine sunday morning many summers ago.

Playing footy at the beach with family friends happened about once per month, and one day we weren't really feeling like playing league. So we decided to play a 5v5 NFL like game (1 QB, 2WR's, 2 OL's). It was really very fun and after that we headed into wollongong and I saw a game (Madden 06) on sale at EBGames, so I decided to buy it. I started playing it (as the Dallas Cowboys because earlier that week i had seen an episode of that 70's show where Kelso kept going on about the Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders) and eventually fell in love with the game.

I love the science and tactics behind every play
i love that for a play to work, every man must do his job, even the wide recievers on a run play need to sell the thrown or block downfield.

I love the big hits, great plays and athletisim of the players. Guys that size shouldnt be able to move that quickly

I love the attitude that comes from the players. I love that every play could be a TD. TBH the sport is awesome. Never a dull moment.... unless its a browns v bills game haha

Nothing like watching a good old punting battle.

18to87

Coach
I still find it to be slow at times.

I think this is a problem a lot of Aussies have with the game. I think its mostly to do with the commercial breaks all the time. The players do a lot of standing and waiting at games!

Big Tim

First Grade
I LOVE my Eels and I LOVE league, but I have to say...I think the NFL is the best sporting league in the world, period - so much so that, even though I am a mad Raiders fan, I could happily watch any other team and have fun. I could watch Dallas, Green Bay, the Giants, the Steelers, the Ravens - anyone - and still enjoy the game. In the NRL, try as I might, I don't care for any other team but the Eels.

I love the NFL.

QFT

I grew up in Newcastle, which is a League mad town, but I just cant watch any games that dont include the Knights (SOO and test matches uncluded)

American Football on the other hand, I watch any and every game I can. Some teams I prefer to watch more than others, but it doesnt relly matter.

nyfg89

Juniors
The game is more identifiable with Rugby league people than AFL followers.
Living in W.A people say they can’t understand NRL and prefer Union because it’s not so stop start, figure that one out and let me know.
If you can’t understand NRL there is no chance you can follow the NFL. The only thing that disappoints me is the ME attitude of some minority players, this is what sticks in the minds of the non believers. Otherwise the NFL season goes the whole year round for me, pre season to Superbowl to the draft, then the NFL off season which is the slowest, but I have the Roosters to watch get destroyed each week.

HAL

Juniors
appreciate the comments,
just with the comparison to rugby league i agree with most fans here in that nfl is game of few plays but of high quality and rl is a game of lots of plays but to lesser extent in quality but thats not to say rl is less skillful or tactical eg melbourne storm
love both games and can't live properly without one or the other

Eelementary

Post Whore
QFT

I grew up in Newcastle, which is a League mad town, but I just cant watch any games that dont include the Knights (SOO and test matches uncluded)

American Football on the other hand, I watch any and every game I can. Some teams I prefer to watch more than others, but it doesnt relly matter.

Exactly. I mean, I don't hate watching non-Eels matches. But I can't get into it.

But I can watch the Redskins, Browns, Texans...Whoever...And still get really into the game even though I'm a mad Raiders nut.

Eelementary

Post Whore
appreciate the comments,
just with the comparison to rugby league i agree with most fans here in that nfl is game of few plays but of high quality and rl is a game of lots of plays but to lesser extent in quality but thats not to say rl is less skillful or tactical eg melbourne storm
love both games and can't live properly without one or the other

Well said. They're two different but awesome sports that provide two different types of thrills:

Seeing Moimoi bulldozing his way upfield
Seeing Adrian Peterson dancing his way around defenders and then trucking his way over the safety on his way to the end zone

I love them both.

Ladmate

Bench
Exactly. I mean, I don't hate watching non-Eels matches. But I can't get into it.

But I can watch the Redskins, Browns, Texans...Whoever...And still get really into the game even though I'm a mad Raiders nut.

I think you might be exaggerating :lol:

Latest posts