What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widders Gone!!!!!

jayman

Juniors
morris was quoted saying that communication between hagan and the club and players was hindering negotiations badly... if the club cant make quick decisions about players they HAVE, how the hell are they going to co-ordinate hagan, parra and a 3rd party manager into a deal.. iam not saying they wont..but they havent shown any form of confidence of nabbing high quality players with this current senario... i think many of us underestimated the sway and pull factor of Brian, .. sure he had his bad times.. etc etc.. BUT.. many players did want to come play under him and with people like hindy supporting him.. we had great utilities at our disposal to draw high profile players... 3 coaches in 1 yr isnt going to add to our image...

saying that.. money talks...

After reading this thread it's no surprise that jayjay is friends with BDW, lol, a lack of anger management seems like it keeps them together :p

Anyways, this is one of the problems that was always going to come with the coach swap. A lot of people were happy to see Smith booted and Hagan bought, so now I guess we just have to deal with it.

Gronk

Staff member
Widders playing waiting game

Greg Prichard
June 19, 2006

PARRAMATTA forward Dean Widders says one half of his football future is clear - after five years with the Eels, he will finish at the club at the end of the season.

But as far as a destination for the classy second-rower is concerned, he can't make a decision until he either gets permission to negotiate with other clubs or the anti-tampering deadline passes on June 30.

South Sydney, in the middle of a recruitment drive that has already netted Cronulla centre Nigel Vagana and Melbourne second-rower David Kidwell, are waiting to talk to Widders when he becomes available and with some room to move under the salary cap, they are favourites to sign him.

When asked after the Eels' win over Souths on Saturday night whether the club planned to re-sign Widders, Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald replied: "No comment." Fitzgerald did say Widders did not have permission to talk to other clubs.

But, Widders, when asked what his future held, said he had learned Parramatta would not be re-signing him.

"Parramatta have pulled out of the race. They're going to let me go," Widders said. "[Eels general manager] Greg Mitchell spoke to my manager late in the week. Apparently, the salary cap has got something to do with it.

"I always thought it was heading in that direction. We had some negotiations, but they were trying to sign Jamie Lyon and when you're looking at other players you've got to make room for them somehow. It's disappointing, because I love playing here, but my understanding now is that I won't be here next year."

Widders, 26, has made his name as an interchange player since joining the Eels in 2002, but he would like to start more often. He would presumably get the chance to prove himself as a starter at Souths.

When asked if the club was interested in Widders, Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said yesterday: "He is certainly a person of interest. If he became available we would like to talk to him."

Souths are also hot on the trail of Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi, who has permission to talk to other clubs and has received an offer from Souths.

Widders said that he would have no qualms about joining Souths, even though they sit the bottom of the ladder with just one win this season.

"I'm very impressed with the way they are going about trying to make the club more professional and the players they are signing," he said. "I don't take any notice of where they are on the table."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/widders-playing-waiting-game/2006/06/18/1150569211320.html

Hellsy

Immortal
"I'm very impressed with the way they are going about trying to make the club more professional and the players they are signing," he said. "I don't take any notice of where they are on the table."
Thats a fair call

James_Hardie

Juniors
Too many players all off contract at once. All the coaches leaving, team coming 14th.All equates to massive instability (if only percieved) Doesn't exactly breed confidence that we will be able to sign any players of quality.

And there isn't exactly a truck load of "quality" players on the market.

Then there is this comment
"Parramatta have pulled out of the race. They're going to let me go," Widders said. "[Eels general manager] Greg Mitchell spoke to my manager late in the week. Apparently, the salary cap has got something to do with it.

"I always thought it was heading in that direction. We had some negotiations, but they were trying to sign Jamie Lyon and when you're looking at other players you've got to make room for them somehow. It's disappointing, because I love playing here, but my understanding now is that I won't be here next year."

Number 1. It clearly isn't Salary cap that is forcing him out as we are already releasing players left right and centre and have not resigned anyone for signifcantly better contracts or signed any new players.

And the final bit of the comment worries me in that the club may still be planning to get into a bidding war for Lyon and hence keeping some cash up their sleeve. We had bloody well better not.

The Colonel

Immortal
jayjay has busted more than his foofoo valve just quietly.

Then again he wouldn't have a clue if it bit HIM on the arse.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not the impact player that he was last year

is there anyone staying at the eels next year, or are they all leaving ?

James_Hardie

Juniors
Twizzle said:

Next they will tell us Sparky is going and Parramatta are in the market for a new mascot.

Mind you Sparky has been in good form of late...

The Colonel

Immortal
I'm as keen for a premiership as the next bloke. But people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that things aren't going to be how they want them over the next 12 months. Changes will and have to be made. Players are a commodity now. Very few will stay for ten years at one club. The players we have had for the past few years haven't done the job. There will be some who stay beyond this year who may not have done the job either and it is likely they too will be weeded out as time goes on. They may also benefit from the change of coach and start to realise some of the potential they once showed.

Signing 20+ good players to $100,000 contract and having two or four players taking up the rest of your cap will get you a minor premiership but it won't get you the big one. We have done that for the last ten years and it has amounted to a couple of minor premierships and a grand final loss.

A new era will begin to take shape at the Eels. It has been planted but it is very unlikely it will be something that blooms in 2007 but there is every chance that it will establish itself and start to grow some buds for season 2008.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Widders will do wonders for south sydney as an off field ambassador and on the field as a leader

Widders is all class and i wish him luck wherever and whatever he does, truely one of the nicest people you could ever meet :clap:

Hellsy

Immortal
Twizzle said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I hear there may be a handful

:LOL: :LOL:

Stagger eel

Staff member
The club definitely know what they're doing, they have to spend the money to compete in this comp and as it stands they have alot to spend and it wouldn't suprise me not 1 iota if they've already invested the bulk of it. I just don't know with who. ;-)

Agent Mulder

Bench
Well back at the end of 2004 didn't we keep the signings of Tahu, Riddell, Robinson, Morrison, Stringer and Marsh close to our chests and then accounced them all at once?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Agent Mulder said:
Well back at the end of 2004 didn't we keep the signings of Tahu, Riddell, Robinson, Morrison, Stringer and Marsh close to our chests and then accounced them all at once?

Riddell was signed 2 weeks before the end of the deadline, he was the first of them, after he signed he was interviewed by someone who asked him if he knew who else Parra were after and he just smiled and said..yay!! sort of without revealing anything.

Daneel

Bench
Good luck Deano, ive really enjoyed watching you play for the eels over the last few years.

Daneel

Bench
jayjayselmes said:
Tim smiths form this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a little better than your form on the forum jay jay.:roll:

Tim Smith can be the future of this club but he wont do it on his own. As good as Andrew Johns is he has only one two premierships and one of those was in a weakened competition. Give the kid a break.

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
As solid a player as John Morris is he won't win us a premiership at five-eight. I'm sure that is what Hagan has in mind.

I think he is a very useful player at a number of positions just not great at one in particular. I'd like to see him stay but I won't be depressed if he goes.

The bottom line is next year will be a rebuilding year for us. New coach, new players and new direction. What happens over the next six to twelve months as far as recruitment and retention will be difficult for some to take but at the end of the day Hagan has three years and tough decisions will probably have to be made.

very unfortunate about Widders, but i did see it coming, still it's sad

Colonel, i see what your arguement is about Morris, however i contend, who will represent a first grade 5/8 at Parramatta if Morris isn't re-signed?

there is literally no one else that can handle the job and i don't see Jamie L coming back here anymore, he is possibly going off to be re-united with his estranged boyfriend Brian Smith at Newcastle???????

so who will it be....Blake Green?

if so, he had better be given an opportunity this year, but then what do you do just brush John Morris - one of our best performers this season?

just seems strange we wouldn't keep him when he wants to coem back and he fits a big need at the club and is well respected among the players...