What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

Noa

First Grade
Good signing for you guys, still alot better fulback then he is a 6 though and thats where Id be playing him

Gotta take my hat of to Dousty and Constable Young. This has been a great week for the club in terms of our future. Thomson and Widdop are both young players to, both 24 I think, what a great platfrom to build long term success. Well done to all, I'm excited.:crazy::D:lol:

BennyV

Referee
There's a couple of positives that are being skipped over with these 2 new signings:

Versatility - Gareth is lightning quick, good hands, decent kicking game, will look at home in the 1 or 6. Thompson, as has been mentioned, is a very capable backrower or centre.

Youth - Widdop and JT are both 24, so both have a bit of experience behind them but should be hitting their prime soon and their best years are ahead of them.

Very smart, strategic signings for us!

Dezziedc

Juniors
If nothing else, the prospect of having Widdop and Chase playing together week in week out in the best league in the world must be making the English RL management rub their hands together. If Chase is confirmed I can see them popping a few Stellas themselves.

bottle

Coach
So where are all the Greenberg loving Doust/Price hating naysayers?

There's room for everyone in this thread, it's a free love free for all love in.

HankScorpio

Juniors
If he continues his form outside of the Melbourne system then this is a huge pick up for you guys. Hope he kills it for you!

Drewbrees

Juniors
Widdop,Thompson and possibly the signing of Chase and Dugan brings a lot of speed to the team, something we severely lack at the moment.

ghostface

Juniors
I just read the news and laughed. Hats off to Dousty.. lets all chip in and get the man a few weeks worth of crownies...

ghostface

Juniors
Good signing for you guys, still alot better fulback then he is a 6 though and thats where Id be playing him

I agree with you he is a great support player. I think the real important factor is who will play in the 7 which will determine if Widdop will be successful in the 6.

getsmarty

Immortal
Where have the Sheens to the Dragons reports surfaced from??? Haven't read it anywhere, someone with some inside scoop??

I think with the personnel we have recruited and still chasing, it would suit Sheens' coaching style. Chase, Widdop, Thompson, Dugan, all attacking weapons.

BINGO....why do you think Price is not involved in Negotiations. Watch this Space for more announcements.

andrew057

First Grade
As mentioned, a better fullback than 5/8.

He is very solid at 5/8, but made too look a lot better by the big 3. Interesting to see how he goes with out a dominating half.

TheRev

Coach
Huge weight off my shoulders to finally get a great signing, Widdop is a real talent, he could play a number of positions but we would play him in 6 or 7 for sure.. and see what happens with the young guys coming thru. 550k is a good price.. hes a good talent, and hopefully bring some of the Storm/Cronk professionalism with him.

jenninga

First Grade
And it was announced on FRIDAY.
Does anybody else feel a sense of excitement not felt for a while,a couple more key signings and we are in business.Coach included.

jenninga

First Grade
i think soward will be more valuable to penrith than widdop to dargons next year. i love widdop but % of stormers who leave melbourne and maintain their form is like 1 out of 10? (inglis, j smith and folau the only ones off the top of my head - but i could name quite a few that become total flops)
The flops you talk of are forwards who were made to look good by the likes of Smith ,Cronk and Widdop.Plays a simple game and smart,what Soward does after this year is no concern,just ecstatic we have a competent player coming to us rather than a flashy Carney.

jenninga

First Grade
We have to remember the players Widdop currently has around him. He has the worlds best players playing alongside him at Melbourne - the best spine in the game. Haven't really seen much of him without that structure.

I think the signing is a great move, however I am not expecting the whole thing to click into place come the first game of 2014.

If we are trying to get Rangi and Josh Dugan into the team and planning on starting them in the next few weeks, then that will go a long way to setting up a good structure for Gareth to step into come the off season.

Hopefully he will bring some of that melbourne knowledge with him...
During Origin Widdop runs the team and is the leader with Hinchcliffe,certainly can play without the big 3.

natheel

Coach
Good signing. I think it's a good move for him to get out of Melbourne and test himself early in his career. Will be the makin of him if its a success.

Latest posts