What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Penisni development???

10 months after i put this thread up I am none the wiser if Penisini can get to another level as a elite centre.
He's not an elite centre's shoelace tbh.

He's had a disappointing year and regressed somewhat in attack and defence... but he might still make for a consistent NRL-level centre one day.
Anyone else a little worried atm.
I'm only worried if he has a player option.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I don’t have a problem with him at the moment, once we get a coaching set up and a decent winger outside him we’ll see how his going.

Some will say his regressed but so has our team.
Whilst I agree I see frequent one on one defensive failures and no desperation to chase opposition breakaways. How these issues havent been addressed in Will is just as big an issue.

Gronk

Staff member
Umm. Coates,Papenhuyzen, Warbrick in one team.
Hammer, Farnsworth , Isaako
Walsh, Cobbo,Staggs and Mariner
Etc etc
We spend too much on big forwards particularly when the game started to change 2 years or so ago.
Firstly, the OP said that Will will never become an Origin player. So me talking about Will not becoming “elite” sets the benchmark at origin.

As I said, not many clubs can afford more than one elite back. Of course I am not talking about spine players, merkins to play 2-5.

There might be a club that has more than one elite back, but one city Qld teams, Storm and the Roosters don’t really count. They play under different rules than us.

hindy111

Post Whore
We don’t pay overs mate.

He took a good bomb against the Storm
He's not an elite centre's shoelace tbh.

He's had a disappointing year and regressed somewhat in attack and defence... but he might still make for a consistent NRL-level centre one day.

I'm only worried if he has a player option.

He is what I'd call an above average centre in a shit side. He isn't elite but he is not average.
Below average would be your Harper's,Russels.

hindy111

Post Whore
Firstly, the OP said that Will will never become an Origin player. So me talking about Will not becoming “elite” sets the benchmark at origin.

As I said, not many clubs can afford more than one elite back. Of course I am not talking about spine players, merkins to play 2-5.

There might be a club that has more than one elite back, but one city Qld teams, Storm and the Roosters don’t really count. They play under different rules than us.

Sivo is on elite money 500k. That's get you a great winger. We got a lemon.

Gronk

Staff member
Sivo is on elite money 500k. That's get you a great winger. We got a lemon.
$550k according to Jimmy.

I would argue that we would prefer to spend that cash for a hooker or mobile forward.

They extended him March 2023. That year he scored 20 tries. His 2024 season has been deplorable. I guess that’s why we are shopping him.

hindy111

Post Whore
$550k according to Jimmy.

I would argue that we would prefer to spend that cash for a hooker or mobile forward.

They extended him March 2023. That year he scored 20 tries. His 2024 season has been deplorable. I guess that’s why we are shopping him.

No our backline stinks. Our forward pack you don't spend money unless release guys. To much money is spent there currently.
Plus Boods might be a good one. We don't know yet.

Gronk

Staff member
He's lucky if he can get to Ryan Morgan or Joel Reddy standard. Michael Jennings? You f**king serious? He was a generational talent. A f**kwit but still a talent.
Ok I know you are in angry mode, but Penisni is a great young player and you’re not being realistic about comparing him to a lesser version of Morgs or Reddy.

Avenger

Immortal
Ok I know you are in angry mode, but Penisni is a great young player and you’re not being realistic about comparing him to a lesser version of Morgs or Reddy.
Still not as bad as comparing him to Michael Jennings. At his peak Jennings was on the podium with Cronin and Ella as far as best Parramatta centres are concerned.

Gronk

Staff member
No our backline stinks. Our forward pack you don't spend money unless release guys. To much money is spent there currently.
Plus Boods might be a good one. We don't know yet.

You’ve gone off on a tangent again.

Yes Sivo needs to be chopped. Lane is in same form. That’s a start.

Gronk

Staff member
Still not as bad as comparing him to Michael Jennings. At his peak Jennings was on the podium with Cronin and Ella as far as best Parramatta centres are concerned.
I didn’t compare him. I said I hope he can get to Jennings without the fast feet.

Which is pretty much Opacic with a better passing game.

hindy111

Post Whore

Jennings was the best defensive centres I've seen. Whilst still good in attack with us he was a beast prior and even better.
Up there with Jamie Lyon

Will is powerful but won't ever have the pace to reach elite. I reckon his ceiling is Ramien who is still very good.

He is what I'd call an above average centre in a shit side. He isn't elite but he is not average.
Below average would be your Harper's,Russels.
I think he's average, with the potential to be above average - but not the potential to be elite.

Happy to have him in the top 17 for next season if he can be bothered trying again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jennings was the best defensive centres I've seen. Whilst still good in attack with us he was a beast prior and even better.
Up there with Jamie Lyon

Will is powerful but won't ever have the pace to reach elite. I reckon his ceiling is Ramien who is still very good.
If the game ever slows down again his lack of speed will be less relevant and his power will be more relevant.

Latest posts