What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Penisni development???

Penisini is no Lyon, Vaeliki, Willie Tonga or Jennings.

But if he can be coached not to f**k up in defence and in attack, then he could steadily hold a spot in the 17 being a basic member of a squad that needs low level guys among a scattering of real talents.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
So we are apparently linked to Blake Wilson now … is it possible Will is squeezed out of the top 17. A fair bit up in the air for next year

Where do Lomax, iongi and gutho play ?
Will Gutho be here ?
How does Simonson fit ?
Will maika still be here ?
If wilson signs where does he fit ?

Point is I don’t think Will is a certain starter and his form this year is making th-at even less likely

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
So we are apparently linked to Blake Wilson now … is it possible Will is squeezed out of the top 17. A fair bit up in the air for next year

Where do Lomax, iongi and gutho play ?
Will Gutho be here ?
How does Simonson fit ?
Will maika still be here ?
If wilson signs where does he fit ?

Point is I don’t think Will is a certain starter and his form this year is making th-at even less likely
I think Will starts.

7. Moses
6. Brown
5. Lomax
4. Gutho
3. Will
2. Shootout between Superman and Wilson
1. Iongi

JokerEel

Coach
I think Will starts.

7. Moses
6. Brown
5. Lomax
4. Gutho
3. Will
2. Shootout between Superman and Wilson
1. Iongi

Round 1 2025 will be

Gutho
Iongi
Penisini
Lomax
Simmonson/Sivo/Russell/Tago
Brown
Moses

Can see Iongi starting on the wing and slowly transitioning into fullback for 26 as Gutho will be moved on.

I also don't think Penisini is a guaranteed starter in our best 17 next year.

In order/value to the (future) squad of backs being squeezed out/released early, I thing this is the likely order of tapping:

Sivo - seems in progress
Penisni - has a PO for 2026
Gutho - on a lot, but will likely see out the contract next year in a different position
Russell - not on a lot, no real need to move him on early
Brown - will likely see out the last year of his (pre-PO) contract next year - no value to move him on early as we have no replacement ready

Other backs on our 2025 books are new signings, recent extensions, or contracted for longer.

In terms of who plays where next season, a lot will be dependent on the above. But assuming Sivo's release is almost a done deal, my guess is we are working toward something like this during 2025.

1. Iongi - new singing, new style of play for new coach
2. Russell - final year of contract, Tago as the backup
3. Gutherson or Penisini - Gutho has to move positions... both are on final year of contract
4. Lomax - new signing, he's not going to just be a winger
5. Simonssen - recently extended
6. Brown - final year of contract
7. Moses

If Sivo leaves early, does that free up money for another decent backline signing for 2025 or 2026? Could that be how the Wilson rumour works...

If so, that means one of Gutho or Penisini could be surplus to our 2025 requirements, and so either might be likely to be tapped to consider an early start to their next contract elsewhere... potentially freeing up more money for future signings/retentions.

Penisini has the PO for 2026, so it's worth more to us to send him elsewhere early, and let captain Gutho see out his final year with us.

Avenger

Immortal
In terms of who plays where next season, a lot will be dependent on the above. But assuming Sivo's release is almost a done deal, my guess is we are working toward something like this during 2025.

1. Iongi - new singing, new style of play for new coach
2. Russell - final year of contract, Tago as the backup
3. Gutherson or Penisini - Gutho has to move positions... both are on final year of contract
4. Lomax - new signing, he's not going to just be a winger
5. Simonssen - recently extended
6. Brown - final year of contract
7. Moses

If Sivo leaves early, does that free up money for another decent backline signing for 2025 or 2026? Could that be how the Wilson rumour works...

If so, that means one of Gutho or Penisini could be surplus to our 2025 requirements, and so either might be likely to be tapped to consider an early start to their next contract elsewhere... potentially freeing up more money for future signings/retentions.

Penisini has the PO for 2026, so it's worth more to us to send him elsewhere early, and let captain Gutho see out his final year with us.
Moses, Iongi, Wilson (hopefully), Lomax. To be honest I couldn’t care less about the rest.

Brown has been a headless chook this season and a one trick pony with a Neil Hunt sidestep. Compare Luai and what he’s done without Cleary. It’s clear who is the better player.

Suitman

Post Whore
Moses, Iongi, Wilson (hopefully), Lomax. To be honest I couldn’t care less about the rest.

Brown has been a headless chook this season and a one trick pony with a Neil Hunt sidestep. Compare Luai and what he’s done without Cleary. It’s clear who is the better player.

I agree. But compare both players to the teams they are playing in. Luai in the Eels squad would also be a headless chook, while Brown in the Panthers lineup would have carved up, no doubt.

Avenger

Immortal
I agree. But compare both players to the teams they are playing in. Luai in the Eels squad would also be a headless chook, while Brown in the Panthers lineup would have carved up, no doubt.
The way our forwards have fallen off a cliff in the space of 2 years is astonishing. It can be attributed to stale coaching, nothing else. They are not that old. The Sharks won a comp with an aging pack whilst ours have been so insipid they are competing for a spoon.

More heads must roll after this season, not just Arthur, his assistants and the trainer.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
A
The way our forwards have fallen off a cliff in the space of 2 years is astonishing. It can be attributed to stale coaching, nothing else. They are not that old. The Sharks won a comp with an aging pack whilst ours have been so insipid they are competing for a spoon.

More heads must roll after this season, not just Arthur, his assistants and the trainer.
while some squad turnover is needed you’d also think/hope our new coaching regime can get more out of a lot of our current crop. If Paulo, Brown et al can get back to their best form or something close we suddednly are in the hunt.

and yes it all can’t be BA’s fault

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Cher is 4 years older and hasn’t played his entire career under a bald turnip.

I’m interested to see what Ryles can do with Brown, he was a much more natural playmaker at 18 and that says to me it’s all down to coaching. His attacking game is almost non existent these days.

Suitman

Post Whore
Cher is 4 years older and hasn’t played his entire career under a bald turnip.

I’m interested to see what Ryles can do with Brown, he was a much more natural playmaker at 18 and that says to me it’s all down to coaching. His attacking game is almost non existent these days.
Coaching.
Oh, and lack of resources. Don't ever forget that.

Latest posts