What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we have a new "Worlds Best Player" after the finals series?

Leagueguy

Juniors
This is a difficult question, firstly because its hard to define. I've already heard some people say Cameron Smith is the best player in the game at the moment. I'd argue though that this is more a statement about form, than actually being the best player in the world. That is a mantle that belongs to Johns and some people will say its not arguable, no matter what occurs in this finals series. However I think its very possible that we'll at least be debating the issue come the end of the finals. I see a few contenders that may be about to challenge his crown:

Cameron Smith - If Melbourne win it, look for much of the credit to go to Smith for being the nucleas of the team. There will be an avalanche of praise for his defence, skills, smarts and leadership abilities. He's a good chance of getting the Clive Churchill Medal because of his workrate and involvement, which would really give ammunition to those that want to argue he's the games best. Winning the Dally M tonight wouldn't hurt either.

Lockyer- We've had this debate before, but Johns has really overtaken him the last couple of years , especially while Lockyer has struggled at times playing 5/8. However Lockyer is getting back to the form which got him selected in the "Greatest Kangaroos Team". The kind we saw in the Tri Nations. If Brisbane win the premiership you can almost guarantee he'll be playing at a similar level. Being player of the Origin series would help his claim too. Another successful Tri Nations series, with Johns out of site, will also enhance his argument. Basically though, if Brisbane win it, brace yourself for Lockyers fans to come out say he's better than Johns.

Kennedy - If Manly even get to the grand final he'd have a claim on being the best player in the world, because you can guarantee he'll get 95% of the credit. However the fact he's retiring may make it a bit difficult to argue that he's the best in the world. Still people may argue that he left the game as its best player.

SBW/Mason - These two will obviously be a big part of any potential Bulldogs premiership. Mason already seems to have the worlds best forward tag , plus this new "leader and heart of the bulldogs" thing surrounding him. As for Sonny Bill, well it doesn't take much for any kind of hype build around him.

Less Likely, but still possible

Gasnier- I think he needs to go to another level for St George to win it. If he does this theres a chance some will claim he's the best in the world. Gus has already said he's the best centre he's ever seen, so I'm sure he'll have no problems saying he's the best player in the world. (I think Hodges could play just as well as Gasnier, if not better. However no one in the media will suggest he's the games best player in the same way they would Gasnier.)

Inglis - Who knows what he's capable of? People are comfortable predicting he'll be one of the greatest players ever, so worlds best player doesn't seem too much of strech. Melbourne's good chance of being premiers obviously helps him.

Hindmarsh- If Parramatta produce a miracle , then he actually will get 100% of the credit and probably deserve too.

It should be noted that any early exit for the Knights, or a bad game from Johns would really get this debate going. In fact it may be required to really have the debate at all.

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO... Lockyer is the only one of those fellas that can rival Joey for the title.

Best of the world is not something that is earned by being the best one year. It takes years and years of brilliance to build up a legacy like that. Lockyer could *possibly* be a threat, but Kennedy? Nope. The others... maybe in years to come, but not yet.

Although it would be interesting to see how different people interpret it.

Red_Devil

Juniors
Doubt it, as long as Johns has that massive contract with Nine, then that's all we're gonna hear until he retires.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
mxlegend99 said:
IMO... Lockyer is the only one of those fellas that can rival Joey for the title.

Best of the world is not something that is earned by being the best one year. It takes years and years of brilliance to build up a legacy like that. Lockyer could *possibly* be a threat, but Kennedy? Nope. The others... maybe in years to come, but not yet.

Although it would be interesting to see how different people interpret it.

i agree... one brilliant season does not = best player...
two brilliant seasons does not = best player
three brilliant seasons may = best player
now from four and upwards is where you start thinking how good this player really is to be a "best player" material...
if you were basing this on current form, i don't think hodges would stay quiet... lol :)

oh and i do think thats the "Johns" saga has come to a diminuendo, he's still a fantastic player, one of the top in the world, but i think the age and the time factor has come to effect in his career... i say make room for Lockyer, cause i don't think there is a player near his standards in our game at the moment..

Raiders Plight

Juniors
A great finals series can attract that type of praise. Brad clyde was touted best player in the world after the 89 finals series at just 20 years old.

Leagueguy

Juniors
oh and i do think thats the "Johns" saga has come to a diminuendo, he's still a fantastic player, one of the top in the world, but i think the age and the time factor has come to effect in his career... i say make room for Lockyer, cause i don't think there is a player near his standards in our game at the moment..

Hahaha Excellent. Why wait til the finals? Let the debate begin now.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
what all the people have to understand is that this "best player" thing is on current form.. not going back to the mid 90's when joey was so much better than Lockyer is now.. we are thinking about the present people!!

just keep in mind... :)

JJ

Immortal
Wasn't this bveing debated prior to Johns' return to Origin from injury?? All the Qld'er singing the praises of Lockyer as the greatest...

Johns is the best (none of his flaws are in his ability to play football) - next topic

Leagueguy

Juniors
Wasn't this bveing debated prior to Johns' return to Origin from injury?? All the Qld'er singing the praises of Lockyer as the greatest...

Johns is the best (none of his flaws are in his ability to play football) - next topic

Expect this debate to gather momentum in the finals, especially if Newcastle don't go very well.

Nathan B

Juniors
If Mason can lead the Bulldogs to another premiership, then he will hold the mantle of leagues best player, IMO. It will mean that the last two years he's been fit he has lead his side to the title (with one, maybe two, CC medals).

Banana kicks, flick passes and magic steps...who cares?!

Professional sport is about the rings.

Snoop

Coach
Can we at least agree, besides all the Newcastle fans of course, that Cam Smith is the best hooker in the game at the moment.

lockyno1

Post Whore
snoopster77 said:
Can we at least agree, besides all the Newcastle fans of course, that Cam Smith is the best hooker in the game at the moment.

I have said that for 2 YEARS!

Ghoulies

Bench
JJ said:
Nailed it.

Lockyer is in fine form at the moment, but it'd be mighty fickle to just dismiss what Johns has done over the past decade (and is still doing today).

petetheileet

First Grade
ive always said Lockyer will lead the broncos to a premiership and this seems to be his best chance to date to do it

mxlegend99

Referee
snoopster77 said:
Danny Buderus is not even the second best.

Cam Smith = Best.
Farah/Priddis = Competition for Second Best.
Buderus = 4th.

That's on this years form.

Mr Saab

Referee
Leagueguy said:
Lockyer- Another successful Tri Nations series, with Johns out of site, will also enhance his argument. Basically though, if Brisbane win it, brace yourself for Lockyers fans to come out say he's better than Johns.

No you wont hear that.
Lockyer is behind Johns and always will be.
If Lockyer does all that as you noted then it will cement his spot as the 2nd best player.

Snoop

Coach
Preaching to the choir locky and mxlegend. Ever since Beds started doing his stupid look away passes that Gus Gould has orgasms over I've thought that he's been on the way down. Halfbacks like Monas and Gower make better dummy halves than Bedsy at the moment. Bedsy tackles hard and passes well to Johnsy but other than that there are a string of hookers that outshine him in creativity, kicking and dummy half running. Hell I bet even Dunley runs better from dummy half these days than Bedsy does.

Red Bear

Referee
Pfft, Buderus is a top player and top hooker.

Johns
Daylight

Johns sh*ts on everyone with his organisational abilty, running game, passing kicking. Still far ahead of the field

And whoever said mason???? So what, Johns deosnt play in the best side (carries them through to the finals tho) so he's not the best? Bull sh*t!

lockyno1

Post Whore
I just don't rate him as he always passes the ball behind players. I could look good at dummy half if I had Joey outside me. His passing skills are ordinary at best. Yes he's a good tackler, and sometimes a dangerous runner but Priddis, Smith, and Farah all have a great passing game as well.

Latest posts