What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we make the 8?

Rolla

Juniors
Watching the game tonight, I think it is pretty safe to say that the dragons are out of the race. They have been awful for weeks now and seem to be in reverse

Rolla

Juniors
Fun fact of the day -

We have the best right side defence in the comp, only five tries have gone in down Aku's wing all year.

Stick

Juniors
Fun fact of the day -

We have the best right side defence in the comp, only five tries have gone in down Aku's wing all year.

Could it be that Wayne chalks this up to Houston's influence? That would explain why WB has persisted with him there despite his impotency in attack and the general census he is better suited to the ruck.

K-Man

Bench
Could it be that Wayne chalks this up to Houston's influence? That would explain why WB has persisted with him there despite his impotency in attack and the general census he is better suited to the ruck.

That's an interesting point. I've been very critical of Houston not playing in the middle, but I suppose this offers at least some sort of explanation.

From the right he is holding a fringe together, and and yet has still shown he can pop up closer to the middle to make vital tackles when needed. The fact he's our top tackler almost every game despite not being a lock or hooker says a lot about his ability on that side of the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still much prefer to see Houston at 13 (especially next year), but I'm starting to feel less strongly about it. And his attack has definitely lifted, almost out of nowhere he is back to running hard and good lines, regularly poking his through half gaps or making clean line-breaks.

Still can't throw a pass to Gagai to save himself though - imagine if he had the skills McKinnon is starting to show out wide. Uate could seriously break 30 tries in a season if our right edge backrower was a ballplaying threat.

Burwood

Bench
Even more impressively, we would have used 3 centres over on the right edge through this season, two of which were Sau and Naiqama.

RABK

Referee
Doesn't sound right to me. Is it meant 5 tries directly down Akus wing or 5 tries anywhere between the 4 right side defenders in Houston, Mullen, Gagai and Uate? I seem to recall Wes and Sau letting in some soft tries throughout the year - Wes against the Roosters sticks out.

Rolla

Juniors
Doesn't sound right to me. Is it meant 5 tries directly down Akus wing or 5 tries anywhere between the 4 right side defenders in Houston, Mullen, Gagai and Uate? I seem to recall Wes and Sau letting in some soft tries throughout the year - Wes against the Roosters sticks out.

My interpretation was down Akus wing, not the right half of the field.

I think the comments re Housten were more aimed at the fact many tries down the wings are a result of an overlap from a misread, miss tackle or offload a couple of men infield.

RABK

Referee
I think bar the Origin period Aku's made a lot of correct decisions in defence this year but due to that horror couple of weeks people have tarred him with the 'terrible defender' brush. But if those stats are true then it could mean various things - that the guys inside him are making the right decisions so no overlaps for Uate to deal with or that the inside guys are letting in soft tries so there is no need for the ball to be spread to the wing. I'd say it'd all be a mix with Uate shutting down plenty of tries via air and overlap this year.

I'd be interested to know how many, if any, of those 5 tries have been scored since Gagai hooked up with Uate. Gagai has some of the best lateral footwork i've ever seen - he could have been a pro tennis player and earnt a shitload more than he ever will playing league.

Stick

Juniors
or that the inside guys are letting in soft tries so there is no need for the ball to be spread to the wing

Haha I think this could very well be the case.

For the record, I wasn't claiming that Houston was making the right side impregnable (and it isn't a slight against Houston either), only suggesting it might be a key factor behind Wayne's reasoning in choosing who plays where.

Apey

Staff member
Well I didn't expect us to win that game anyway. I think we can bounce back and win next week. Hopefully Souths beat the Titans & Sharks beat the Warriors.

RABK

Referee
Could actually move up to 8th if what Apey described happens and Souths beat Titans by 20.... i think?

Spot On

Coach
I don't know what to make of the knights form last 3 games or so.

Yes you have had some good wins.

But lets see

Manly- Nowhere near full strength
Warriors- LOL they can lose from anywhere just proven again on weekend when winning like 22-6 in second half.
Raiders- They really look good one week mainly away and get smashed at home.

That said there is probably only 4 teams in form at the moment in the NRL that is dogs,souths,titans and you guys.

Mate, the Broncs have won four of their last eleven. I know exactly what to make of that form.

Our run of form over the past two months puts is about the third/fourth best team in the comp when looking at games won and for/against. It's an improvement on where we were before that. There are only two teams consistently winning and they are the Dogs and Souths.

Could actually move up to 8th if what Apey described happens and Souths beat Titans by 20.... i think?

Yep and with the warriors getting smashed by the sharks gives us a better chance. We also need the eels to beat the tigers.

Apey

Staff member
I wish it would have been be a close game than a thrashing. Warriors playing Sharks back into form for us next week, lol.

doggone

Juniors
Yep and with the warriors getting smashed by the sharks gives us a better chance. We also need the eels to beat the tigers.

We need to beat everyone from now on! I hate having to rely on other teams to lose.
Team this week needs a lot of thought. I would be changing a few players. Put on the most experienced team on best consisted props otherwise we'll get smashed, Sharks are a tough bunch. Does anyone know if Hilder or Snowden are Ok to play I feel we could do with them Hilder to cover the ruck either at Lock/ Dummy half and give Danny a break. Snowdon for some grunt. Costigan better used second row. Mason, Zeb, Cutherbertson, Mckinnon, House putting in, but would like to see House get a few metres up. His to much tackling not enough forward go on!!

We play the very best leading into the finals. We will defintely be better for it and it is an immense springboard into 2013 regardless of whether we win them all, a couple or none at all. Long term this sets us up nicely.