What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels

broncos2010

Juniors
I must say tonga sure will have something to offer next year from what I saw yesterday. Strong ball runner getting back to his best before he got that injury this year.

Utey

Coach
Whose excited by his arrival? I liken this signing to Tahu in 05 and the strike power we'll get out wide. Woop!

Pazza

First Grade
Extremely excited!! Does anyone know how Loko's recovery is coming? A Loko (Left) and Tonga (Right) combination does looks very good to me :D

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Extremely excited!! Does anyone know how Loko's recovery is coming? A Loko (Left) and Tonga (Right) combination does look vey good to me :D

I heard a whisper that he's actually started running, not sure how true that is but he is training as he's been posting it on his facebook.

Gronk

Staff member
well lets hope so!

I would love to start the year with Loko in the centres.

I thought I read somewhere that Loko won't start training after his knee recon until Jan/Feb. They'll ease him back like they did with Poore IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What's the obsession with Loko in the centres? Have none of you noticed the kid's a poor defender?

He's got the goods to become a decent defender one day but as he stands he needs a lot of work to defend at first grade standard.

His strength is running the ball and he can do that from a couple of positions other than centre.

Eels Dude

Coach
I thought I read somewhere that Loko won't start training after his knee recon until Jan/Feb. They'll ease him back like they did with Poore IMO.

Didn't Poore have to have a second round of surgery just a few weeks before the season started as he didn't respond to initial treatment?

Pazza

First Grade
Didn't Poore have to have a second round of surgery just a few weeks before the season started as he didn't respond to initial treatment?

Yep!

There was a point there where they thought he might have to retire.

Pazza

First Grade
What's the obsession with Loko in the centres? Have none of you noticed the kid's a poor defender?

He's got the goods to become a decent defender one day but as he stands he needs a lot of work to defend at first grade standard.

His strength is running the ball and he can do that from a couple of positions other than centre.

He did get shown up in defense when he first started in FG but as he got more experienced his defense did improve.

Fact is that his ability to run the ball is FG standard, not every young kid walks into FG perfect. Loko is only 19 years of age and he will improve under the guidance of Tonga. Also Loko will be surrounded on the left hand side by Burt, Roberts and Maitua which are all experienced solid first grade quality defenders who can help Loko.

Looking forward to Tonga and Loko bringing back some size (with speed) to our backline. We have missed it big time without Tahu and Grothe Jnr, our dummy half running should improve big time!

Eels Dude

Coach
He did get shown up in defense when he first started in FG but as he got more experienced his defense did improve.

Fact is that his ability to run the ball is FG standard, not every young kid walks into FG perfect. Loko is only 19 years of age and he will improve under the guidance of Tonga. Also Loko will be surrounded on the left hand side by Burt, Roberts and Maitua which are all experienced solid first grade quality defenders who can help Loko.

Looking forward to Tonga and Loko bringing back some size (with speed) to our backline. We have missed it big time without Tahu and Grothe Jnr, our dummy half running should improve big time!

One thing comes down to the age old question... do you weaken one position to strengthen another?

Willie Tonga plays his best footy on the left side. He can play on the right side but he's more dangerous on the left. On the other hand Loko would struggle on the right side. I don't rate Ryan Morgan much but he'd probably go better on the right than Loko would.