What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In all honesty, who is better than Tonga??

Inglis, Hodges - granted.

But apart from that I can't think of anyone?

He's played plenty of Origin for Qld in those 6 straight series wins, and he's made a mockery of whichever schmuck NSW has put opposite him.
Thurston is an excellent playmaker for the Cowboys, but without a 'go to guy' out wide, he would have looked a lot more stymied - even for Nth Qld.

We're getting a really good player here in Tonga, and the opposition MUST respect his ability, which opens up the running game for Hayne even further.

Shh stop making sense, or for Sandow to also be given some room to.

Bazal

Post Whore
In all honesty, who is better than Tonga??

Inglis, Hodges - granted.

But apart from that I can't think of anyone?

Chris Lawrence. That said, Tonga is an awesome signing and you won't hear a single complaint from me about it.

Chipmunk

Coach
Willie is a very good NRL player. One of the top centres in the game no doubt. Ben Roberts had a lethal combo with Josh Morris on the left so be interesting to see if Robers gets the 6 jumper and what he does with Willie.

Do you think we will run him at left centre? I agree that is his best spot, but if we have him at left centre that will put Loko at right centre and that will open up a big fat gaping hole on our right side IMO

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon we should try Loko at wing. Out of him and the two Tongas, he's the least suited to playing centre in first grade, at least this early in his career. But if he does play centre he has to be on the left. Willie Tonga has played right centre before - there's a clip on YouTube of him scoring a try at right centre for the Cowboys. Left centre was Ty Williams so I assume Willie played on the right because he has better defence.

Anyway don't discount Ryan Morgan pushing for the other spot; I'd say only Willie Tonga is guaranteed a start in the centres, and I'm sure Morgan is ahead of Loko in the pecking order.

Loko's still eligible for NYC next year. Do you merkins reckon he'll come back through under 20s or Wenty?

Parraren

Bench
I reckon we should try Loko at wing. Out of him and the two Tongas, he's the least suited to playing centre in first grade, at least this early in his career. But if he does play centre he has to be on the left. Willie Tonga has played right centre before - there's a clip on YouTube of him scoring a try at right centre for the Cowboys. Left centre was Ty Williams so I assume Willie played on the right because he has better defence.

Anyway don't discount Ryan Morgan pushing for the other spot; I'd say only Willie Tonga is guaranteed a start in the centres, and I'm sure Morgan is ahead of Loko in the pecking order.

Loko's still eligible for NYC next year. Do you merkins reckon he'll come back through under 20s or Wenty?

I reckon Loko, if fit, will start the year on the left wing with Esi at left centre.

Willie & Burt will be over on the right.

oldmancraigy

Coach
F**k me how many players can the Eel$ buy? Most have a salary cap with a hidden extra mill. jajaja

So you finally figured out why Kearney left the Storm?

They got busted and can only spend the cap - not good enough for $$teve --> he came to Parra and brought the bags of ca$h with him.

ParraE

Juniors
Im not really a fan of Willie Tonga since he came from after his knee operation a few years back.

SDM

First Grade
Im not really a fan of Willie Tonga since he came from after his knee operation a few years back.

You should have contacted the club before the contract was signed, they may have changed their mind.

Gronk

Staff member

I'd say that he's top 5 best centre around behind Hodges, Inglis, Jennings & Gaz. Certainly better than Idris.

He had a significant impact of SoO this year.

In his 8 years of grade, he played 144 games, which averages (so far) 18 games per season. Not too bad.

Like Sandow, he's the best proven player on the market in his position.

Latest posts