What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Corporation

hazzbeen

Bench
And they say Illawarra accepts mediocrity.. Why wouldn’t you want to see your team compete for the ultimate prize?

The secessionists are a small part of the overall fan base.. Not sure how anyone can see this petition making any difference..
It won't mate but with all the bitching going on in here when we are on the ropes , maybe it is the problem with the club within , maybe there is a divide .... mediocrity as you say do I accept it no ..... But it definitely is not working at this stage and hasn't since 2010 ..... Not blaming either side but happy to take a chance alone .... Either way I'm not enjoying the way things are run ....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It won't mate but with all the bitching going on in here when we are on the ropes , maybe it is the problem with the club within , maybe there is a divide .... mediocrity as you say do I accept it no ..... But it definitely is not working at this stage and hasn't since 2010 ..... Not blaming either side but happy to take a chance alone .... Either way I'm not enjoying the way things are run ....
I’m going to throw it out there..

Who is angling for an Illawarra stand alone club?

Pretty sure you’ll find it’s no one.

The only people pushing the division are legacy St George supporters who can’t let go..

hazzbeen

Bench

The only people pushing the division are legacy St George supporters who can’t let go..
OK l hear you , let's put it this way if it could and say could be done forgetting everything that's going on now , would you be OK if Illawarra stood alone or are you OK with what you have ..... ?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OK l hear you , let's put it this way if it could and say could be done forgetting everything that's going on now , would you be OK if Illawarra stood alone or are you OK with what you have ..... ?
The JV has been around for longer than the Steelers were.

I’ve followed the dragons for twice as long as I had the Steelers.

Whilst I have scarlet coloured glasses about what was there before, I know that the current setup is much stronger.

possm

Coach

I want Illawarra to be a Canterbury Cup club and the feeder club for St George who would stand alone in the NRL. WIN Corp and the Gordons have proved to be a disaster for the Dragons.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I want Illawarra to be a Canterbury Cup club and the feeder club for St George who would stand alone in the NRL. WIN Corp and the Gordons have proved to be a disaster for the Dragons.
Yes, but you’re delusional.

piesplusreturns

Juniors
The JV has been around for longer than the Steelers were.

I’ve followed the dragons for twice as long as I had the Steelers.

Whilst I have scarlet coloured glasses about what was there before, I know that the current setup is much stronger.

Show on the other foot, there must be 30 year olds in the gong scratching their heads wondering why they're associated with a team from Sydney, that plays two thirds of their games out of Sydney, with another club in-between.

possm

Coach
Show on the other foot, there must be 30 year olds in the gong scratching their heads wondering why they're associated with a team from Sydney, that plays two thirds of their games out of Sydney, with another club in-between.
Before 1999, This even though they had WIN Corp and the best junior necerary in their back pocket. Illawarra was a stand-alone club going broke and going nowhere. Illawarra needed to grab hold of the St George coat-tails to survive and to finally win a competition in 2010. St Goerge at the time had already won 14 competitions and 11 of those were in succession - a feat not achieved by any other first grade rugby leage team anywhere in the world.

Doust arranged for WIN Corp and the Gordons' to take control of the Dragons in order to keep keep his and his mate's snouts in the SGI trough for as long as possible. To Doust and the 'old boys club' there was no greater threat than to have a professional entity come in and rund the place properly; they all new that they would be shown the door.

Now is the time to rid the club of these self-interested parasites. Now is the time for a clean-out and the long hard journey back to the top of the ladder where the St George Dragons naturally belong.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Before 1999, Illawarra was a stand-alone club going broke and going nowhere. Illawarra needed to hold onto the St George coat-tail to win a competition in 2010. St Goerge at the time had already won 14 competitions and 11 of those were in succession - a feat not achieved by any other first grade rugby leage team anywhere in the world.

Doust arranged for WIN Corp and the Gordons to take control of the Dragons so that he could keep his and his mate's snouts in the SGI trough for as long as possible. Now is the time to rid the club of these self-interested parasites. Now is the time for a clean-out and the long hard journey back to the top of the ladder where the St George Dragons naturally belong.

TruSaint

Referee

I always enjoy your posts mate, but on this I respectfully disagree.

Like you, I also hate the status quo. But to suggest we go it alone again, after 2 decades of the JV isn't feasible mate. The NRL, with successive leadership have made it known that there are too many Sydney clubs as it is. The fact we exist with some semblance of the Saints that you and I grew up with should be enough. It aint perfect, but its better than being relocated. We run the risk of being irrelevant should we abandon the JV now.

As long as we have the crest/badge, and as long as the Club represents the Saints I and you grew up with then im ok with it. Leaving the gap between the Sharks and the Illawarra vacant would be inviting relocation.

Love your passion mate, i really do. Get the frustration as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

piesplusreturns

Juniors
Before 1999, This even though they had WIN Corp and the best junior necerary in their back pocket. Illawarra was a stand-alone club going broke and going nowhere. Illawarra needed to grab hold of the St George coat-tails to survive and to finally win a competition in 2010. St Goerge at the time had already won 14 competitions and 11 of those were in succession - a feat not achieved by any other first grade rugby leage team anywhere in the world.

Doust arranged for WIN Corp and the Gordons' to take control of the Dragons in order to keep keep his and his mate's snouts in the SGI trough for as long as possible. To Doust and the 'old boys club' there was no greater threat than to have a professional entity come in and rund the place properly; they all new that they would be shown the door.

Now is the time to rid the club of these self-interested parasites. Now is the time for a clean-out and the long hard journey back to the top of the ladder where the St George Dragons naturally belong.

Jesus, how many times have had they had a go at the Gold coast? You think the league would just let the south coast go?

History is nice, but have a look around Hurstville. The St George area now has little to no juniors,n (up and coming) fans and no benefactor.

I'm saying this as a St George fan born and bred. Reality has to kick in eventually.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench

Like you, I also hate the status quo. But to suggest we go it alone again, after 2 decades of the JV isn't feasible mate. The NRL, with successive leadership have made it known that there are too many Sydney clubs as it is. The fact we exist with some semblance of the Saints that you and I grew up with should be enough. It aint perfect, but its better than being relocated. We run the risk of being irrelevant should we abandon the JV now.

As long as we have the crest/badge, and as long as the Club represents the Saints I and you grew up with then im ok with it. Leaving the gap between the Sharks and the Illawarra vacant would be inviting relocation.

Love your passion mate, i really do. Get the frustration as well. Just my 2 cents worth.
Well said Tru, I get it but gee they are making it hard , I don't like what I see at the moment , and things need to change soon .....

Dragsters

First Grade
And they say Illawarra accepts mediocrity.. Why wouldn’t you want to see your team compete for the ultimate prize?

The secessionists are a small part of the overall fan base.. Not sure how anyone can see this petition making any difference..

It's definitely tone-deaf atm...

possm

Coach

If we continue on with WIN Corp and the Gordons' we will not survive in the NRL. We are in a downward spiral as a result of Board decisions and incompetent managers appointed by this Board.

As it is SGI do not have exclusive rights to the juniors from the Illawarra district. Any club can sign any junior from this district.

The best solution for both sides is an arrangement whereby the Illawarra Leagues Club is helped to start operating at a profit and for an Illawarra football team to participate in the Canterbury Cup Competition and be a feeder club to St George and maybe also Cronulla. We can't take them all so it would be best to at least control the majority through both NRL Clubs.