What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Corporation

Saint Pedro

Juniors
I’m not sure why Illawarra were going broke with BHP as major sponsors, and the steelworks in a boom. They were the Steelers to represent the steelworks which is big business.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m not sure why Illawarra were going broke with BHP as major sponsors, and the steelworks in a boom. They were the Steelers to represent the steelworks which is big business.
You do realise sponsors and football clubs are two separate entities, right?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, realise they Are separate but always thought BHP were more than jersey sponsors with the team name of Illawarra.
Are we part of St George bank?

They sponsor us.

And we have the same name too.

Freaky.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think this whole debate etc centres around WIN Corp not Illawarra per se.

If it is meant that we could survive as a single entity under the banner of St George Illawarra then I'd cop that.

WIN Corp are a corporation based on media not football. It appears their interests lie only in WIN TV and the advertising revenue they can derive from that, plus additionals through memberships and merchandise. They are really not a benefactor to the football side of the operation, hence the rather strange appointment of their directors to the Board.

As this investment continues to crumble, hence nil injection of coin to pay out a severley underperforming coach and the sudden involvement of Gordon snr putting pay to that. And yes, the St George side isnt squeeky clean either, but inheretantly gutless.

As Iemma pointed out today, there just want to exist, not manage the football side of things.

The quicker WIN Corp remove themselves, the quicker we will recover as a powerhouse club again. As I said, I have no issue with being called STGI if that is what it takes to make us great again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

If it is meant that we could survive as a single entity under the banner of St George Illawarra then I'd cop that.

WIN Corp are a corporation based on media not football. It appears their interests lie only in WIN TV and the advertising revenue they can derive from that, plus additionals through memberships and merchandise. They are really not a benefactor to the football side of the operation, hence the rather strange appointment of their directors to the Board.

As this investment continues to crumble, hence nil injection of coin to pay out a severley underperforming coach and the sudden involvement of Gordon snr putting pay to that. And yes, the St George side isnt squeeky clean either, but inheretantly gutless.

As Iemma pointed out today, there just want to exist, not manage the football side of things.

The quicker WIN Corp remove themselves, the quicker we will recover as a powerhouse club again. As I said, I have no issue with being called STGI if that is what it takes to make us great again.
I agree that WIN need to lift their game..

But so does the other owner..

Still haven’t heard a good reason why they only invested $500k in us last year..

They’ve dropped support by 75% in 3 years..

Why?

possm

Coach
Obviously they did not manage their sponsorship funds very well.

possm

Coach

Still haven’t heard a good reason why they only invested $500k in us last year..

Why?
St George Leagues Club have learned the lessons of the past. They probably just matched the contribution from WIN Corp / Gordons'. When Illawarra was part of the venture, they fell short for many years thus causing SGI to seek funds from the NRL.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Why?

Good question, maybe something to do with on field results? Unhappy with how the club has been run? Maybe they weren't invited to the negotiation table?

Who knows Muz, but it seems to co-incide with how our club as a whole is performing. Why invest in a sinking ship!

TruSaint

Referee

Win Corp bought out A STAKE of the Steelers share, being 25% shares in 2006.
They then in 2018, bought out the balance of the 50%.

Between those 2 allotments, we won a title.

Its been less than 2 years since the second batch of shareholding was purchased.

Sure, its fair to scrutinize their involvement, and Im not sure they are the best suitor, but where is the criticism of the other 50% ?

This debate has raised its ugly head as a result of on field performances, led by the board of directors. Collectively, they are f**ked.

No one I recall debated WIN's involvement in 2010.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Good question, maybe something to do with on field results? Unhappy with how the club has been run? Maybe they weren't invited to the negotiation table?

Who knows Muz, but it seems to co-incide with how our club as a whole is performing. Why invest in a sinking ship!
Can’t be due to “not being invited to the negotiating table” - they have been reducing spend since 2014..

And if it’s anything to do with results on field, that’s just poor governance from a leagues club to not look to invest to fix the issue.

You add to this their PR bit from Danny Robson this week about how rich they are, it all says something’s fishy.

elevenstraight

Juniors
The conspiracy theorist in me says the St George side of the JV is positioning themselves to either bail out or sell out of the JV and leaving it all to WIN.

possm

Coach
The conspiracy theorist in me says the St George side of the JV is positioning themselves to either bail out or sell out of the JV and leaving it all to WIN.
Success on the field effects St George Leagues Club more than it effects WIN Corp or the Gordons. If SGI was registered as a football club with paying membership, then many of the current problems would be addressed very easily and most probably solved. For at long last democracy would rule and those Board Members would be held accountable for their actions and decisions.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Success on the field effects St George Leagues Club more than it effects WIN Corp or the Gordons. If SGI was registered as a football club with paying membership, then many of the current problems would be addressed very easily and most probably solved. For at long last democracy would rule and those Board Members would be held accountable for their actions and decisions.
How?

Gareth67

First Grade
After the WIN Corp. bought into the Joint Vent who truly thought that we would find ourselves in such dire straights , both as a rugby league team and administration wise ?

Not I , as I believed that they would be the J.V’s saviors , by providing both an influx of funds and also astute management of the Dragons finances .

I recall a member saying “ Be careful of what you wish for “. Well that particular individual certainly knew what he was talking about as ever since , every aspect of the J.Venture has gone down the plug hole at a rate of knots .

Cannot realistically see the Dragons climbing the ladder in the foreseeable future whilst they self-implode . No point taking the Grandkids out to the matches any longer , they become more disappointed then myself .

HenryTatana

Juniors
What’s in it for WIN?

Most people/organisations invest in things to get a greater return.

Gordon for some reason invested in St George as a play thing for his son as he obviously doesn’t give 2 hoots about his investment nor doing things to increase its value and his return on investment.

If as reported that Gordon paid unders for his stake compared to other bidders, why doesn’t he now sell his stake at a value greater than he paid to one of the other suitors who were more interested in making the St George brand a successful one. He pockets a handsome profit and sails into the sunset. The spoilt brat son can then have some chump change to invest in something like a painting or interior decorating business with McCueball and everyone will be happy.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I dread to think what it’ll be like when the old man drops off the perch & the imbecile son inherits the empire. He’ll probably throw Mary & Millward on the Board of Directors after both serving 10 years of pure mediocrity.