What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing in Parramatta's sights

natheel

Coach
ive been trying to rack my brain of centres here and then i thought maybe its an exnrl centre in super league, i read someone said matt king in a thread possibly this one, but ill put another name into the mix Matthew Gidley.....most likely not him but im just throwing names of centres out there that are urrently playing here or england.

Fathead

Bench
ive been trying to rack my brain of centres here and then i thought maybe its an exnrl centre in super league, i read someone said matt king in a thread possibly this one, but ill put another name into the mix Matthew Gidley.....most likely not him but im just throwing names of centres out there that are urrently playing here or england.

I wouldnt class Gids or King as a HUGE signing and one that seems totally out of left field that it seems very unlikely or suprising...

slippery_sucker

Juniors
1 Hayne
2 Inu
3 Tahu
4 Reddy
5 Grothe
6 Mortimer
7 KK
8 Moimoi
9 KM
10 Poore
11 Hindy (C)
12 Shack
13 Mateo

14 Kinga
15 Horo
16 Cayless
17 Mannah

Fathead

Bench
I still think Lyon will be an eel again one day.
He and Ando are great mates and Ando will do everything to get him to the eels.

caylo

Bench
is Jennings signed up for long? are the bronx trying to offload falou? big signning in the centres, there just isnt that much quality these days tbh.
Matt King is like an over priced ben smith playing behind a good team... not a good centre IMO.

Fathead

Bench
He's a good player but it will take slot for him to earn the support of the fans again that's for sure

we are SO fickle.. If he came to the eels and killed them, scoring tries at will, you will see how much forgiveness we have !!:D

Eelementary

Post Whore
is Jennings signed up for long? are the bronx trying to offload falou? big signning in the centres, there just isnt that much quality these days tbh.
Matt King is like an over priced ben smith playing behind a good team... not a good centre IMO.

Jennings - hell yes, although I wouldn't say he's a "HUGE" signing.

Folau - f**k no. Biggest myth ever. If you think Inu isn't a centre but a perfectly good winger, Folau is an even better example.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25617880-5003409,00.html

Wing in Parramatta's sights

By Josh Massoud | June 11, 2009 12:00am

PARRAMATTA'S new dawn burned unexpectedly bright yesterday as the Eels landed two out of three big-name targets on their hit list - Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton.

After securing both props on pricey three-year deals in the space of two hours yesterday, Parramatta's new board is now gunning for Craig Wing to complete the club's biggest-spending recruitment drive in a decade.

"We see Wingy as a great fit because he can play so many positions, particularly in the halves where we are a bit short,'' an Eels insider said.

A soured third-party deal with McGrath Real Estate has left Wing $150,000 out of pocket at the Rabbitohs, where he still has a contract until the end of 2011. The NSW utility has now been given permission to test interest elsewhere before meeting with Souths officials late next week to determine his future at Redfern.

Apart from Parramatta, Cronulla and the Roosters have shown interest while rugby union is also in the frame. But Wing was tight-lipped about his future when contacted last night.

"I'm leaving all that stuff to my manager (Wayne Beavis),'' he said. "It's been well documented what happened a couple of months ago, but I've now made a decision to just concentrate on football, which seems to be working at the moment.''

When the new regime seized control of Parramatta seven weeks ago, it targeted front-rowers and halves as key recruitment areas. Ironically enough, the two red-letter engine room additions - Poore and Shackleton - were announced less than 24 hours after veteran CEO Denis Fitzgerald ended his three-decade reign on Tuesday morning.

Having debuted for NSW last week, Poore was among the most sought-after free agents in the NRL. The desperate Sharks weighed in with a three-year, $1million offer to lure him from St George Illawarra, but Parramatta's $350,000-a-season overture won the day.

Strapped for cash after tying up most of their in-form squad in the past month, the Dragons could only offer $275,000 a season.

Poore was initially reluctant to leave the Illawarra, where he lives close to family, runs a gym and surfs regularly. But a meeting during last week's Origin camp with new Parramatta chairman Roy Spagnolo convinced him to shift west next year.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Spagnolo travelled to Melbourne specifically to speak with Poore face to face at the Blues' after-match function last Wednesday night at the Sofitel Hotel.

"That's true, I did go to Melbourne and meet him,'' Spagnolo said. "Justin also visited Parramatta a couple of times earlier in the year and Nathan Hindmarsh was an influence as well. From what I understand, he and Nathan became pretty close after their trip to Rwanda last year.''

It's believed Shackleton, who made his representative debut for City Origin last month, signed for around $170,000 a season. "He'll certainly add some versatility and variety to our pack,'' Eels coach Daniel Anderson said. "What's more, we feel we've got a quality person, not just a quality player.''

The carrot-top's departure from Bondi leaves the Roosters under pressure to lock up Maroons forward Nate Myles.

yy_cheng

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25617880-5003409,00.html

PARRAMATTA'S new dawn burned unexpectedly bright yesterday as the Eels landed two out of three big-name targets on their hit list - Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton.
After securing both props on pricey three-year deals in the space of two hours yesterday, Parramatta's new board is now gunning for Craig Wing to complete the club's biggest-spending recruitment drive in a decade.

"We see Wingy as a great fit because he can play so many positions, particularly in the halves where we are a bit short,'' an Eels insider said.

A soured third-party deal with McGrath Real Estate has left Wing $150,000 out of pocket at the Rabbitohs, where he still has a contract until the end of 2011. The NSW utility has now been given permission to test interest elsewhere before meeting with Souths officials late next week to determine his future at Redfern.

Related Links
Sport Confidential: Hindmarsh's hospital trip
Vote: can the Eels win the premiership in 2010?
Apart from Parramatta, Cronulla and the Roosters have shown interest while rugby union is also in the frame. But Wing was tight-lipped about his future when contacted last night.

"I'm leaving all that stuff to my manager (Wayne Beavis),'' he said. "It's been well documented what happened a couple of months ago, but I've now made a decision to just concentrate on football, which seems to be working at the moment.''

When the new regime seized control of Parramatta seven weeks ago, it targeted front-rowers and halves as key recruitment areas. Ironically enough, the two red-letter engine room additions - Poore and Shackleton - were announced less than 24 hours after veteran CEO Denis Fitzgerald ended his three-decade reign on Tuesday morning.

Having debuted for NSW last week, Poore was among the most sought-after free agents in the NRL. The desperate Sharks weighed in with a three-year, $1million offer to lure him from St George Illawarra, but Parramatta's $350,000-a-season overture won the day.

Strapped for cash after tying up most of their in-form squad in the past month, the Dragons could only offer $275,000 a season.

Poore was initially reluctant to leave the Illawarra, where he lives close to family, runs a gym and surfs regularly. But a meeting during last week's Origin camp with new Parramatta chairman Roy Spagnolo convinced him to shift west next year.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Spagnolo travelled to Melbourne specifically to speak with Poore face to face at the Blues' after-match function last Wednesday night at the Sofitel Hotel.

"That's true, I did go to Melbourne and meet him,'' Spagnolo said. "Justin also visited Parramatta a couple of times earlier in the year and Nathan Hindmarsh was an influence as well. From what I understand, he and Nathan became pretty close after their trip to Rwanda last year.''

It's believed Shackleton, who made his representative debut for City Origin last month, signed for around $170,000 a season. "He'll certainly add some versatility and variety to our pack,'' Eels coach Daniel Anderson said. "What's more, we feel we've got a quality person, not just a quality player.''

The carrot-top's departure from Bondi leaves the Roosters under pressure to lock up Maroons forward Nate Myles.