What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wooden spoon

Big Mick

Referee
hybrid_tiger said:
Funny how a good halfback makes a difference.

Without Head I'd say the Tigers would be closer to the spoon than top 8, with a fully fit Head there should be no excuses.

Your halves wont mean sh!t unless your forwards lay the platform and give him them the room to show their stuff.

I have never seen a halfback win a game, when his forwards were totally and utterly mauled.

So unless ur forwards get a massive firecracker up the arse...doesn't matter who you got in the halves, you'll still be close to spoon.

Big Mick © said:
Your halves wont mean sh!t unless your forwards lay the platform and give him them the room to show their stuff.

I have never seen a halfback win a game, when his forwards were totally and utterly mauled.

So unless ur forwards get a massive firecracker up the arse...doesn't matter who you got in the halves, you'll still be close to spoon.

our forwards werent great this year and we didnt get the spoon hell we even had benji out most the year and hodgson and we still won games

every year its the same crap tigers will get the spoon yet it never happens :roll:

with matt head or without we will still be trying for a top 8 spot and will be there until the end

Big Mick

Referee
joel caine number 1 fan said:
our forwards werent great this year and we didnt get the spoon hell we even had benji out most the year and hodgson and we still won games

every year its the same crap tigers will get the spoon yet it never happens :roll:

with matt head or without we will still be trying for a top 8 spot and will be there until the end

NSS every team is trying for a top 8 spot, otherwise they wouldn't play the game.

And for everyone saying you need a "great halfback"...Brisbane 2006 people...if Shane Perry is a great halfback i'll eat my hat.

Granted he had Lockyer...but still.

and if Marshall and Head fire...and the forwards get a role on, playing the mobile game gaining metres like in 05'...the Tigers can make the 8 again, but I can't see Gibbs, Galloway etc firing up enough consistently.

innsaneink

Referee
Big Mick © said:

Our forwards were 'totally and utterly mauled' on maybe two or tree occasions last year, more often than not they held their own, on occasions they got on top of other packs like melb Dogs.
They rarely got on top of other packs in 05 as well, yet we won a comp, and with less interchange and the scrapping of the dominant tackle, should help us even further.

That said, I would like to see our forwards improve, drastically.

Iafeta

Referee
They're too lightweight for my liking. The game at Campbelltown against the Warriors this year, it deadset looked like a bunch of kids against a team of men in that first half before the Warriors put the que in the rack having won by halftime.

What's this scrapping of the dominant tackle?? For real?

innsaneink

Referee
Yet the warriors made 50m more in metres gained over 80 minutes on that day.
We held our own.....players out of position all across the park cost us that occasion.

Dominant= Yeah I think I heard about it somewhere- not sure though

Big Mick

Referee
Innsaneink...not saying ur forwards are sh*te...but they need to step up.

Galloway, Gibbs, O'Hara...arn't small lads...they need to throw their weight around and be aggressive rather than going through the motions.

Fact is...no other forwards fear the Tigers pack...there are no enforcers there. Thats what is needed.

When you won the comp...people feared Heighnington, Skandalis and Halatau...now...I reckon the only guys they'd fear are Tuaiki, Te'o (Who I think has a great future from what i've seen over the last 3-4 years) and Heighnington when he steps up.

Fulton hasn't reached the heights i'd expected, Harrison, while good in patches isn't consistent enough, Payton is good when on, but again consistency an issue.

I rate the Tigers side...but they lack mongrel...and the same can be said about Penrith.

Last year first 5 rounds going great, then Waterhouse/Rooney get injured and we're screwed...Waterhouse while a linchpin to our forward pack with his defensive technique and good offload...ISN'T the best player in that forward pack potentially. Guys like T.Puletua and Pritchard should have stepped up...instead they played like pansies and it showed.

Pritchard is like Mason to me...a 10 minute footballer. Shows u 10 minutes of absolute brilliance and destruction, then goes into his shell. Hopefully being around someone like Petero will give him that consistency. God I hope so. Tony has now been transferred to prop which i think is best. He's gonna be running onto the ball again, and just running it straight, rather than trying to jig and crap...just not mobile enough any more.

Every premiership pack...has someone that oppositions feared.

07 - Hoffman, White, Smith, Crocker...teams feared them
06 - Civoniceiva, Webcke, Carroll, Thaiday
05 - Heighington, Halatau, Skandlais, Farah
04 - O'Meley, Mason, Sonny Bill
03 - T.Puletua, Galuvao, Ross, Waterhouse
02 - Morley, Fitzgibbon, Cayless

The list goes on....Unless your pack has that fear factor and that mongrel to go through with it...no team will ever win a comp.

Knightmare

Coach
gurstar said:
hi there all

wooden spoon who do you think will get the spoon in 2008 and why

also which coach of the nrl will be first to get the chop in 2008

mine is newcastle for simple reasons (b smith..)

nathan brown i think will be the first gone

The only people who think Smith is going to be given marching orders are certain ex-Knights players who are filthy that the boys club they were a part of is no longer existant for them to bludge and get paid handsomely. Them and the entire News Ltd. press.

Big Mick © said:

Galloway, Gibbs, O'Hara...arn't small lads...they need to throw their weight around and be aggressive rather than going through the motions.

Fact is...no other forwards fear the Tigers pack...there are no enforcers there. Thats what is needed.

When you won the comp...people feared Heighnington, Skandalis and Halatau...now...I reckon the only guys they'd fear are Tuaiki, Te'o (Who I think has a great future from what i've seen over the last 3-4 years) and Heighnington when he steps up.

Fulton hasn't reached the heights i'd expected, Harrison, while good in patches isn't consistent enough, Payton is good when on, but again consistency an issue.

I rate the Tigers side...but they lack mongrel...and the same can be said about Penrith.

Last year first 5 rounds going great, then Waterhouse/Rooney get injured and we're screwed...Waterhouse while a linchpin to our forward pack with his defensive technique and good offload...ISN'T the best player in that forward pack potentially. Guys like T.Puletua and Pritchard should have stepped up...instead they played like pansies and it showed.

Pritchard is like Mason to me...a 10 minute footballer. Shows u 10 minutes of absolute brilliance and destruction, then goes into his shell. Hopefully being around someone like Petero will give him that consistency. God I hope so. Tony has now been transferred to prop which i think is best. He's gonna be running onto the ball again, and just running it straight, rather than trying to jig and crap...just not mobile enough any more.

The list goes on....Unless your pack has that fear factor and that mongrel to go through with it...no team will ever win a comp.

our pack was more of a hard working pack than anything else ,nobody feared us we pretty much came from nowhere we had a great mix of youth and vetrans

btw Heighnington was way better this year hes pretty much took Lafranchi role and hes done it very well and it wasnt the forwards they were afraid of when u have Marshall and Hodgson in such great form breaking the line from there own halfs over and over again

innsaneink

Referee
Big Mick © said:

Agree with most of what you said...been calling for someone for some time to key Galloways car or hit on his girl, get him a little Angry

I did say though....

, I would like to see our forwards improve, drastically

Our forwards were 'feared' somewhat in 05, though it wasnt for your typical forward dominance type fear, it was bodies in motion all over the place type fear, no opposition knew wtf was going on....hell, in one passage I forget who against, I saw Skando throw a dummy, step someone and then throw a fkn flick pass, had been watching him for 10 years prior and never saw nothing like that.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Max Power said:
That's probably why Chris Anderson is out of a job now.

Souffs or Penrith for spoon.

And the Rorters just forked out serious money for two international Props so obviously Chris knew a thing or two about footy. Ónly sooky bum overpaid hacks blame their coach.

Iafeta

Referee
innsaneink said:
Yet the warriors made 50m more in metres gained over 80 minutes on that day.
We held our own.....players out of position all across the park cost us that occasion.

Dominant= Yeah I think I heard about it somewhere- not sure though

I completely disagree that you held your own. Your pack was man handled. The meterage is reflected by the way the Warriors played second half, lateral, very impatient, and a few errors.

The first half the Warriors were bouncing players off left right and centre and popped a few good offloads for long length of the field tries, so yes, being long length tries its highly likely the meterage stats for the pack won't reflect on their actual dominance. The Tigers got owned... and bad.

Bench
Every year the Raiders and WestsTigers are given a big chance of the spoon,it never happens,it will be the same next year,neither of them will get it.

smeghead

Bench
Iafeta said:
I completely disagree that you held your own. Your pack was man handled. The meterage is reflected by the way the Warriors played second half, lateral, very impatient, and a few errors.

The first half the Warriors were bouncing players off left right and centre and popped a few good offloads for long length of the field tries, so yes, being long length tries its highly likely the meterage stats for the pack won't reflect on their actual dominance. The Tigers got owned... and bad.

Only one difference that day at Campbelltown and that was Steve Price

Iafeta

Referee
Disagree, and so do some of the Tigers players. One of the Tigers players whom I know through family told me they were physically dominated by their pack. Price, yes of course, but there were others offloading and causing chaos. Hell, even Micheal Luck, a good tackling no nonsense type player was breaking tackles.

They were better in the second half, but they were blown away big time in that first half. Mobile, yes, but aside from Galloway and Heighnington, a bit too small for my liking, although if Head stays on the paddock that lightness will work well in their favour with how well Head can place a kick and turn a big pack around.

Latest posts