What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wooden spoon

smeghead

Bench
My assessment was that Prices early efforts inspired and his line challenges assisted his team mates in their forward roll.

Not disparaging the Warriors pack in any way, they are very good but without Price your pack is not half the worry for opposition sides

Iafeta

Referee
Oh no doubt, Steve Price is an absolute champion and played brilliantly that day, and it was notable when he had an early sit down in the second dig that the team went off the ball. But from memory Lauaki etc were popping them too at will.

tiger_nick

Bench
Big Mick © said:
Innsaneink...not saying ur forwards are sh*te...but they need to step up.

Galloway, Gibbs, O'Hara...arn't small lads...they need to throw their weight around and be aggressive rather than going through the motions.

Fact is...no other forwards fear the Tigers pack...there are no enforcers there. Thats what is needed.

When you won the comp...people feared Heighnington, Skandalis and Halatau...now...I reckon the only guys they'd fear are Tuaiki, Te'o (Who I think has a great future from what i've seen over the last 3-4 years) and Heighnington when he steps up.

Fulton hasn't reached the heights i'd expected, Harrison, while good in patches isn't consistent enough, Payton is good when on, but again consistency an issue.

I rate the Tigers side...but they lack mongrel...and the same can be said about Penrith.

Last year first 5 rounds going great, then Waterhouse/Rooney get injured and we're screwed...Waterhouse while a linchpin to our forward pack with his defensive technique and good offload...ISN'T the best player in that forward pack potentially. Guys like T.Puletua and Pritchard should have stepped up...instead they played like pansies and it showed.

Pritchard is like Mason to me...a 10 minute footballer. Shows u 10 minutes of absolute brilliance and destruction, then goes into his shell. Hopefully being around someone like Petero will give him that consistency. God I hope so. Tony has now been transferred to prop which i think is best. He's gonna be running onto the ball again, and just running it straight, rather than trying to jig and crap...just not mobile enough any more.

Every premiership pack...has someone that oppositions feared.

07 - Hoffman, White, Smith, Crocker...teams feared them
06 - Civoniceiva, Webcke, Carroll, Thaiday
05 - Heighington, Halatau, Skandlais, Farah
04 - O'Meley, Mason, Sonny Bill
03 - T.Puletua, Galuvao, Ross, Waterhouse
02 - Morley, Fitzgibbon, Cayless

The list goes on....Unless your pack has that fear factor and that mongrel to go through with it...no team will ever win a comp.

i agree with most of what you say, we dont have an enforcer, however we didnt in 05 either. we had a pack that worked well together who ran good angles off farah and would reguarly pass before the line. i dont think anyone feared our pack, they more worked well together then had one or two leaders.

although we dont have a dominating pack we still reguarly do well against teams with big packs, i.e the dogs and storm this year.

cookie40

Juniors
Gee_Up said:
It would be very amusing- who they will blame? :lol:

Guys this is getting tiresome, the question was who do you think will get the wooden spoon in 2008 not who is the side you hate the most and how can you turn this into a Souths vs Roosters slanging match. The rest of us are sick of it, get a life!

Bicey_18

Bench
Why Newcastle? We have signed some good players and have got rid of the deadwood... We didnt get the spoon this year with the year we had..so why would we get it this year?

We have a pretty good backline and our forward pack is a good 1 2.... and also our depth is pretty good 2..

Newcastle will not get the spoon

Chachi

Bench
ozbash said:
Wooden Spoon 08 ?

no contest, Raiders own it..
Mate, the only thing we own is three more premierships and four more GF appearances than your excuse for a team! :lol:

I take it you also backed up that confident prediction with a sizeable wager? ;-)

Iafeta

Referee
I can't see Canberra getting it. I'm tipping a big year from Terry Campese, of all players. I saw some real strong performances from him while Carney was down at the early opener. Their pack is a pack of real no names, but they just grind it out. And occasionally shalack a team, that first 25 minutes against Parramatta this season was unbelievable. If they can keep their best attacking players on deck, Tongue he's always on deck, and perhaps create a little better around the ruck out of dummy half, they're going to be hard to beat again, particularly in C-city.

I don't think there's an easy side next season in the comp.

skeepe

Immortal
Big Mick © said:
I have never seen a halfback win a game, when his forwards were totally and utterly mauled.

I have. Scott Prince in Titans vs Raiders at Carrara. The Raiders pack comprehensively destroyed the Titans pack, only for the Titans to win 28-8 on the back of some Scott Prince magic. A sad day.

no name

Coach
skeepe said:
I have. Scott Prince in Titans vs Raiders at Carrara. The Raiders pack comprehensively destroyed the Titans pack, only for the Titans to win 28-8 on the back of some Scott Prince magic. A sad day.

Those few weeks he had off really cruelled their chances for semi's. I think they might have snuck in with a healthy prince

ozbash

Referee
Chachi said:
Mate, the only thing we own is three more premierships and four more GF appearances than your excuse for a team! :lol:

I take it you also backed up that confident prediction with a sizeable wager? ;-)

absolutely my kermie friend :cool:

you keep hanging on to those dreams of yesteryear, will help ease the pain in 08.

good luck chachi :D

bluesbreaker

Bench
Knights won't go near the Spoon, we've recruited better than anyone else in the comp and got rid of all the sh*t.

Joey used to win games when his pack was outplayed all the time. He built a career on doing it.

Gee_Up

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
i agree with most of what you say, we dont have an enforcer, however we didnt in 05 either. we had a pack that worked well together who ran good angles off farah and would reguarly pass before the line. i dont think anyone feared our pack, they more worked well together then had one or two leaders.

although we dont have a dominating pack we still reguarly do well against teams with big packs, i.e the dogs and storm this year.

Skando god bless him was your enforcer back then... no frills hard yards and never took a backward step when needing to throw them!

A real Prop.

philstorm

Juniors
gurstar said:
hi there all

wooden spoon who do you think will get the spoon in 2008 and why

also which coach of the nrl will be first to get the chop in 2008

mine is newcastle for simple reasons (b smith..)

nathan brown i think will be the first gone

Knights will get the spoon in 08 and 09 due to a lack of all-round talent.

Despite that, they'll stick with Smith till the end of 09 before handing over the reigns to Joey.

tiger_nick

Bench
Bicey_18 said:
Why Newcastle? We have signed some good players and have got rid of the deadwood... We didnt get the spoon this year with the year we had..so why would we get it this year?

We have a pretty good backline and our forward pack is a good 1 2.... and also our depth is pretty good 2..

Newcastle will not get the spoon

benji marshall single handedly stopped you from getting the spoon

Latest posts