What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wooden spoon

Big Mick

Referee
awesome...so bookmarking this thread.

your all saying no halves.

Outside of halves...the rest of the team is world class.

1. Wesser
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Blair
5. Rooney

Jennings has some serious skill, and Blair at the back end of the year showed what power he possessed at running the ball and breaking the line. Gordon and Rooney are potent wingers and if Rooney can find the form he showed at the beginning of last year, he'd be good too. Wesser should hopefully just be concentrating on running the ball

8. Civoniceiva
9. Priddis
10. F.Puletua
11. Pritchard
12. Waterhouse
13. Smith

14. Woolnough
15. Grant
16. T.Puletua
17. Aiton

I don't want Smith there...but I know Elliot will probably pick him...But aside from him, the rest of the pack is very good. Frank Puletua is extremely under-rated and gets through heaps of work, Petero is in the top 5 props in the game, Woolnough has apparantly been training the house down and Grant has been showing how mature he is after Civoncieva pulled him in line a few weeks ago.

Tony Puletua was re-invigorated as a prop, and Aiton I think will re-discover his form of 06...otherwise we've got Masada Iosefa, Keith Peters, Joseph Paulo, Jarrod Sammut all willing to take that spot.

We've also got the pick of the crop in the young guys, and all have been playing the same style of first grade and winning big, so they already know the style that the team in first grade plays with.

The halves will most likely be to start off with:
6. Luke Lewis
7. Joe Williams

But there are other options there, and The club has been very impressed with the work ethic displayed by Josh McCrone so far, as well as the continued improvement of Dean Caldwell, Wade Graham, Jarrod Sammut etc in that position.

The halves job next year is simple.

Pass to Jennings and Blair in the middle of the tackle count and let them create opportunities...pass to the forwards at the start of the set and let Petero lead the way.

We got 3-4 60-80 min footballers in that pack, so the interchange rule wont affect us like other teams.

The halves just need to catch, pass, kick and hit the ground, and occasionally run...thats it..let the classy players on the outside and inside of them make them look good.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
awesome...so bookmarking this thread.

your all saying no halves.

Outside of halves...the rest of the team is world class.

1. Wesser
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Blair
5. Rooney
8. Civoniceiva
9. Priddis
10. F.Puletua
11. Pritchard
12. Waterhouse
13. Smith

14. Woolnough
15. Grant
16. T.Puletua
17. Aiton

Who in that list has played for Australia or NZ?

T. Puletua
Waterhouse
Pritchard
Priddis?
Civoniceva
Rooney

I would hardly say they are world class. Sure they are a good looking team but not world class.

Tom Ace

Bench
aqua_duck said:
Dogs

Chris Anderson use to say your team is made up of 2 props and a halfback, and the rest is just like gravy, well Roberts, Armit and Hickey are sh!t IMO

That's probably why Chris Anderson is out of a job now.

Souffs or Penrith for spoon.

aqua_duck

Coach
Max Power said:
That's probably why Chris Anderson is out of a job now.

Souffs or Penrith for spoon.
Anderson might not have a team at the moment but I agree with his theory. You just can't win games without go forward and furthermore even if you have good go forward but no playmakers, its still not going to work. Canterbury have neither IMO

Big Mick

Referee
Natalie's Daddy said:
Who in that list has played for Australia or NZ?

T. Puletua
Waterhouse
Pritchard
Priddis?
Civoniceva
Rooney

I would hardly say they are world class. Sure they are a good looking team but not world class.

Fine...world class may be stretching it...but if all those players in that pack play to their potential...they will beat anyone.

It is a pack that is mobile, has good go forward and very good hard defenders.

I don't understand how people can rate the bulldogs higher than Penrith, for example.

1. Patten vs Wesser - Even I reckon..when both on form both are good and can win a game.
2. El Masri vs Gordon - Even again. Both goal-kicking wingers, but Gordon I think has more creativity and potency in attack, El Masri is also fading.
3. Millard vs Jennings - Jennings by the length of the straight.
4. Tonga vs Blair - Even atm..If Tonga plays like past Tonga, then yeah...but if Blair continues improving...Blair
5. Utai vs Rooney - Even. Both injured, hard to judge.
6. Holdsworth vs Lewis - Lewis
7. Roberts vs J.Williams - Roberts, but both are attacking players that are turnstyles.
8. Armit vs Civoniceiva - next...
9. Hughes vs Priddis - Priddis
10. Hickey vs F.Puletua - Even atm...Hickey has potential to be very good, but atm is just a fat tard.
11. Ryan vs Pritchard - Ryan
12. SBW vs T.Puletua - SBW
13. Matuia vs Waterhouse - Waterhouse based on workrate, defensive efficiency, all-round game.

14. Tsoulos vs Woolnough - Woolnough
15. Cleal vs Moors - Even. Both squad players and nothing more.
16. Kouparitsis vs Grant - Both good young players, hard to judge, but given form last year alone, then Nick.
16. Sullivan vs Aiton - Even - Sullivan untried coming back, Aiton picking up

And the depth from Penrith is a lot better than the Dogs as well...I just can't understand how people just go "Penrith"...and have absolutely no basis aside from "Elliot is the coach"

macavity

Referee
Penrith are putting a decent squad together

but I don't think Elliot's style (ie 5 forward runs and a kick) gels well with the style of player you have. I also don't trust your side in defence - especially your backs and halves. heart-attack stuff, though not as bad as the 2007 Knights....

I reckon in 2-3 years you will be title contenders, but wont make the 8 this year.

I have been wrong many times, however.

the NRL is too even to pick definate faves for the spoon.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I will take a punt and say Knights for the spoon.

Penrith and Canberra I'd almost have money on for the top 8.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the wooden spooner will be a surprise. Maybe a team that made the top 8 this year like the Warriors. But I don't think I can definately tip anyone for the spoon next year with any confidence.

Big Mick

Referee
macavity said:
Penrith are putting a decent squad together

but I don't think Elliot's style (ie 5 forward runs and a kick) gels well with the style of player you have. I also don't trust your side in defence - especially your backs and halves. heart-attack stuff, though not as bad as the 2007 Knights....

I reckon in 2-3 years you will be title contenders, but wont make the 8 this year.

I have been wrong many times, however.

the NRL is too even to pick definate faves for the spoon.

Agreed...i'm not saying we'll win the comp...too many young guys to do that...but the culture that Petero will bring, and instill in the juniors about to debut will have us in good sted in 2-3 years...then we will be in a position as you say to win.

But I think there is too much talent in that side to finish last again...I dunno but...anything can happen.

The team with the most injuries will get the spoon.

I would have said Tigers by length of the straight, then they buy Youngquest and Head...which sures up their winger position and their desperately needed halves situation and all of a sudden they look ok as well.

I dunno...Its gonna be another year when 6 points is the difference between 7th - 16th

Raider_69

Post Whore
Very difficult to predict
before heads signing id have said the tigers were a shot but if head remains uninjured and so does Benji, they'll be a ok
Penrith look good money, sh*te coach, no halves, they'll struggle but might do enough with raw talent to avoid the spoon
canberra wont go near it, we'll be top 8 IMHO
the dogs always seem to band together and go alright when their under pressure, honestly the dogs are a donkey's bet
Titans arnt looking flash, nor are the knights and i dont rate the sharks that highly either... all that said, id go with:

Wooden Spoon: Penrith
First coach sacked: Elliott

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Funny how a good halfback makes a difference.

Without Head I'd say the Tigers would be closer to the spoon than top 8, with a fully fit Head there should be no excuses.

sharko

Juniors
The Roosters will get the Wooden Spoon as finally they will be nabbed for their gross salary cap breaches and deducted all their points!

innsaneink

Referee
hybrid_tiger said:
Funny how a good halfback makes a difference.

Without Head I'd say the Tigers would be closer to the spoon than top 8, with a fully fit Head there should be no excuses.

Agreed

Junior Bunny

Juniors
sharko said:
The Roosters will get the Wooden Spoon as finally they will be nabbed for their gross salary cap breaches and deducted all their points!

0 minus 0 is still 0. Roosters by a mile.

Chachi

Bench
If Tonguey gets hurt the Raiders are legitimately in with a shot. I'd have my money on Newcastle, Tigers or Dragons though.

Lets say the Dragons in a photo finish.