What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woolford Not Wanted!

Steel Dragon

Bench
Rubbish at the Raiders
Dreadful for the Dragons

Why would we sign another hooker?!?!!?
We got rid of Lincoln Withers and Michael Ennis who were good hookers.
We have Dean Young and Aaron Gorrell who are good hookers.
Why in the hell would we want the most ill-disciplined waste of space in the NRL?

Watching the raiders game v sharks - the raiders really stepped up a few notches when woolford went off and tongue slipped into dummy half. The raiders play much better without woolford and im afraid that Browny struggles to enforce discipline in the dragons as is (we give away lots of silly dumb penalties) woolford under brown is asking for trouble!

I hope to god that Woolford is only going to hamper our reserve grade efforts and not find his way into firsts.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Isnt this still in the wild unsubstantiated rumour stage? Have to say I haven't paid much attention to it.

If Woolford played twice as good, for half the money, and could put a sock in it, then it might be OK.

The Preacher

First Grade
Steel Dragon said:
Rubbish at the Raiders
Dreadful for the Dragons

Why in the hell would we want the most ill-disciplined waste of space in the NRL?

Watching the raiders game v sharks - the raiders really stepped up a few notches when woolford went off and tongue slipped into dummy half. The raiders play much better without woolford and im afraid that Browny struggles to enforce discipline in the dragons as is (we give away lots of silly dumb penalties) woolford under brown is asking for trouble!

I hope to god that Woolford is only going to hamper our reserve grade efforts and not find his way into firsts.

We've haven't signed the galloot, have we ????? Please so no.:shock:

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Woolford weighs up options, but Raiders seem unlikely to be one of them

Peter Fitzgerald
Friday, 12 May 2006

Canberra hooker Simon Woolford will play in the NRL next season, but it is unlikely to be with the Raiders.
Woolford revealed yesterday his initial plan to finish his career in the English Super League competition was no longer a consideration.

He had hoped to play with Hull FC, but the re-signing of its hooker - former Melbourne and Brisbane player Richard Swain - has ruled out any possibility of that.

The Canberra Times believes two rival NRL clubs have offered Woolford deals for 2007 and Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins confirmed Canberra had not yet tabled a formal offer.

Hawkins also said the club did not expect to do so in the next month.

While Woolford has not ruled out remaining in the national capital beyond this year when his current deal expires, he admitted it was likely he would don a rival club's jersey.

"There's interest from outside and that's about all I can tell you at the moment," the 31-year-old said.

"Hopefully that interest can go on a bit further in the next week or two.

"If things keep going the way they are, I should be able to do that."

Woolford said he had "spoken in general" to Raiders general manager Don Furner regarding the possibility of remaining in Canberra.

But as for any confirmation on an offer, he was still waiting.

"We've spoken, but as far as an offer and talking money and all of that goes, no, there hasn't been at this stage," Woolford said.

Woolford is in his 13th season with the Raiders, but is not ready to call it quits.

While originally looking for a one-year deal in England, the former captain spoke yesterday of his desire to play for a further two years in Australia.

Should the Raiders table him an offer, it would only be a 12-month extension of his current contract.

"It all depends because one club's opinion isn't always the same as the others," he said.

"I thought maybe one year in England, but at this stage overseas is probably out of range at the moment so now, [it's] not necessarily one, [but] maybe two [more years of playing].

"I hope to have it sorted in the next two weeks."

Hawkins said the retention of players was not on the club's priority list at the moment.

"We will certainly look at it in another month or so but probably not before," he said.

Woolford has spent the past two weeks playing off the bench, after returning to the side from suspension.

In those games, coach Matt Elliott opted for Alan Tongue starting at hooker, Jason Croker shifting to lock and Michael Hodgson starting in the second-row instead of the bench. Woolford said he was happy with his different role, but hoped it would not become a thing of the future.

It looks like it won't, with Elliott naming Woolford in the starting dummy-half position for Sunday's home clash against the Cronulla Sharks.

That's where Woolford expects to play.

"Matty's told me I'll be starting this week, so I'm banking on that happening," he said.

"It's worked well with me coming off the bench the last few weeks, but it's not something I want to really get used to."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...y_id=479856&category=General Sport&m=5&y=2006

Souths...?

Steel Dragon said:
Rubbish at the Raiders
Dreadful for the Dragons

Your a goose. Have you ever watched the raiders play???? I suggest you check the raiders results both with and without Woolford.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah Steel Dragon, what do you think this is? A discussion forum or something? Next you'll be telling us you're entitled to your opinion.
P.S, Woolford is overated.

Steel Dragon

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
Your a goose. Have you ever watched the raiders play???? I suggest you check the raiders results both with and without Woolford.

Actually mate, I attend all of Canberra's home matches when I can, i usually only miss one or two a year.
I'm willing to admit that I am not up to date on the actual statistics and numbers regarding Raider wins with and without Woolford, but I can guarantee you the raiders have a lot more direction without him.
There must have been some sorta reason Woolford was stripped of the captaincy and Schif was appointed. I reckon it was cause Woolford does so many stupid things that he is always likely to be suspended and who wants their captain sidelined for weeks at a time.
Its this kind of stupidity the Dragons can do without - We have enough nitwits who have their own occasional brain explosions.

hrundi99

First Grade
Woolford is not rated by most, and he is one of the best hookers in the comp.

Ergo, he's under-rated.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Spoken with 4WD logic.

The way the Canberra public servants talk him up, ie 'one of the best hookers in the comp', makes him overrated.

Yours sincerely,
Ergo.

Godz Illa

Coach
We're lacking creativity and penetration out of dummy-half this year. Gorrell has been good in patches, but imo we have sorely missed Ennis. A player like Woolford will provide such qualities, and he's also strong defensively in the middle of the field - another of our weaker areas this year (exacerbated by the absence of Ryles and Bailey, of course). At the right price, Woolford is a smart signing. The good thing is, when it comes to hookers it seems to be a buyers market (note the Priddis situation - offering himself to several clubs, notably the Sharks, only to be declined), so we might get him cheap.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Saw that on the WORL forum re WIN news last night, ie that he had joined the dragons on a two year deal - but have not seen it mentioned in any of the major publications.

Probably just crap!

Nugby

Juniors
Can't find anything online yet, might watch WIN News at 6pm tonight if we haven't found anything by then.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Can we really afford to use precious salary cap $ for someone who's suspended 2/3's of the year for sloppy high shots?

Though i guess we're used to paying players to watch matches in their bags of fruit most of the time anyway

Drew-Sta

Staff member
He's not a required signing, so I'm curious as to why we've picked him up. I think Gorrell, Young, and eventually Nadira are good enough players for Hooker, and one more makes it a waste of cap money.

We're so far lacking a 5/8 for next season. Why is the club worrying about Hookers when this position is far more improtant?

Prioritising is a word our management seems to be ignorant of.

borat

Bench
When offering a contract to Woolford there would have to be clauses in there to reduce the package if suspended.

Picking up a hooker isn't really a bad thing, it allows young to stay in the second row which has looked weak this year. Gorrell has never impressed me as a starting hooker. Off the bench at best. And Woolford is a tough nut which is something we are sadly lacking this year.

Steel Dragon

Bench
borat said:
Woolford is a tough nut which is something we are sadly lacking this year.

Woolford is a F**k nut.
But seriously - the reason we lack grunt is our injured list - look at the quality forwards we have sidelined.
In a few more weeks theyll all be back and more importantly - so will the mighty Dragons!