What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World All Stars

jim_57

Staff member
So Garcia the Frenchman Penrith signed is the first picked by default?

snickers007

Juniors
Tedesco (tigers)
Mead (titans. Png)
Matai (manly).
Croker ( raiders)
Nightingale ( dragons, nz)
Foran ( eels, nz)
Cronk (storm, aus)
Blair (broncos, nz)
Smith ( storm, aus)
Graham (bulldogs, eng)
O'loughlin (eng)
Cordner ( roosters, aus)
Taumololo (cownoys, nz)

Burgess (souths, eng)
Milford (samoa)
Sims (newcastle, fiji)
Gallen (sharks, aus)
Luke (warriors, nz)
Hurrel (tonga)
Casty (france)

Very hard to pick a team with 4 aus, 4 nz, 4 poms, other nations while also picking at least 1 from each club and a maximum of 2 from each club

There are no Panthers in your team.
Put in Reagan Campbell Gillard and you have a Panther and Fiji rep

Because the Auckland 9s is contacted to at least 2018 and after the current success you'd think the nrl and new Zealand rugby league would be trying to lock up its long term future and also try make it a regular fixture . A second 9s comp will not only have an effect on Auckland tournament, it's also likely to not have the support of the clubs who already have concerns over the current tournament and still don't send all their best players.

I think a world nines marketed properly would sell out both days of a weekend at ANZ Stadium

roughyedspud

Coach
The auckland 9 is a club comp...

The world 9s is a international team comp

Its not difficult to grasp...it really isn't

fourplay

Juniors
The Indigenous side is a fantastic representation of RL (i reckon they inspire more national emotion than the Kangaroos), but they need to have a legitimate opposition

Yeah they should play a Commonwealth team which is a team made up of players who have sworn allegiance to the Commonwealth.

To increase the intensity of the game and make it Origin like, the commonwealth team should have a pregame routine where they are led onto the field by the Queen with dancers in traditional English military attire and then the Indigenous team can do their spear dance.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The auckland 9 is a club comp...

The world 9s is a international team comp

Its not difficult to grasp...it really isn't

So you'd have a separate indigenous team in a world comp?
You'd segregate the aussie team and indigenous teams?
Aussie team would have to be without the likes of Thurston and inglis?
You'd lose that week long promotion of aboriginal culture and community work.
It'd also create divisions between indigenous australia and the rest of australia, something completely opposite of the current set up.
The current allstars game is played in good spirit with a lot of community and charity work done by both sides and a chance for the best indigenous players to represent their people and culture with pride

DiegoNT

First Grade
The Indigenous side is a fantastic representation of RL (i reckon they inspire more national emotion than the Kangaroos), but they need to have a legitimate opposition. I dont know if this is the long term answer, but its a good step.

An indigenous side is a fantastic concept. It gives indigenous australians something to look upto, something to unite us and let us show our pride for our people and our culture. The problem is finding an appropriate opponent. The indigenous side should never be in competition with the Australian side, Whether it be for the selection of players or in competition. We had a game against the maori side in 08 but that was after many of the first choice players made the aussie and kiwi sides. The selection of best of the nrl is a good compromise. It's a game played in good spirits, between a good mix of talented players, and does alot of great community work
If you don't want to go for the indigenous side, but feel iffy cheering against them, then just cheer for rugby league because the game is usually played at a good quality for a pre season exhibition match

Ibleedblue

Juniors
This should put a good spin on the contest looking forward to the All Stars game.

Don't get why it always gets criticized I find it a very good way to kick off the season.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Well English captain is an auto select and Greenberg said that the World All Stars would field England's finest players... So perhaps that means the best.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd love to see a world nines but this game does a lot of good for RL's indigenous profile so not sure losing it would be a good thing.

roughyedspud

Coach
So you'd have a separate indigenous team in a world comp?
You'd segregate the aussie team and indigenous teams?
Aussie team would have to be without the likes of Thurston and inglis?
You'd lose that week long promotion of aboriginal culture and community work.
It'd also create divisions between indigenous australia and the rest of australia, something completely opposite of the current set up.
The current allstars game is played in good spirit with a lot of community and charity work done by both sides and a chance for the best indigenous players to represent their people and culture with pride

What makes you think the kangaroos 9s and kangaroo 13s would involve the same players??

I know my england 9s would look nothing like the england team that plays the kiwis on saturday..

Think test cricket & 20/20 cricket....

If australia had any sense their 9s would be used to blood the future test players...tedesco at 1 for example,a running 6 like blake austin,sagayaryo at 9 etc

And the indigenous lads would still be free to play for their team if they wish

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Can i just add aswell..

With a world 9s the indigenous team can still have the week long build up,community spirit thing going on...difference being i want to give them a comp to win at tbe end of it instead of a token friendly against a made up team of whoever wants to play..i want to expand their reach..you wanna restrict them to a token game!

I want the indigenous team to step up!!

DiegoNT

First Grade
What makes you think the kangaroos 9s and kangaroo 13s would involve the same players??

I know my england 9s would look nothing like the england team that plays the kiwis on saturday..

Think test cricket & 20/20 cricket....

If australia had any sense their 9s would be used to blood the future test players...tedesco at 1 for example,a running 6 like blake austin,sagayaryo at 9 etc

And the indigenous lads would still be free to play for their team if they wish

Because a Kangaroos 9s, if it was truly picking it's best players, would have Inglis, Thurston amd Chambers as automatics in its 18 man squad

DiegoNT

First Grade
Can i just add aswell..

With a world 9s the indigenous team can still have the week long build up,community spirit thing going on...difference being i want to give them a comp to win at tbe end of it instead of a token friendly against a made up team of whoever wants to play..i want to expand their reach..you wanna restrict them to a token game!

I want the indigenous team to step up!!

Its not a token match. For the indigenous community ( and I don't mean the rugby league indigenous community, i mean the whole indigenous community) its actually a big event for us. Maybe it's just a NT thing, but up here we all look forward to this game, and the result isn't that Important, the chance to see our players represent our culture and test themselves against quality opposition, and to show the younger generation that anything is possible if you try hard enough for it, being aboriginal doesn't make you inferior (which despite alot of effort, there's still a long way to go with reconciliation). The allstars game is massive PR win for our game, because the game is played in good spirit, is highly entertaining for a preseason match, and creates a lot of good will. The afl with their recent PR disasters would kill for something as successful as our allstars game ( which would never work, because in the afl the game would simply be black vs white australians)

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Its not a token match. For the indigenous community ( and I don't mean the rugby league indigenous community, i mean the whole indigenous community) its actually a big event for us. Maybe it's just a NT thing, but up here we all look forward to this game, and the result isn't that Important, the chance to see our players represent our culture and test themselves against quality opposition, and to show the younger generation that anything is possible if you try hard enough for it, being aboriginal doesn't make you inferior (which despite alot of effort, there's still a long way to go with reconciliation). The allstars game is massive PR win for our game, because the game is played in good spirit, is highly entertaining for a preseason match, and creates a lot of good will. The afl with their recent PR disasters would kill for something as successful as our allstars game ( which would never work, because in the afl the game would simply be black vs white australians)

Indigenous Australians per capita and as a group are the most talented Rugby League players on the planet, it is right that throwing a team of them together should be matched by throwing a team of the rest against them.

Any Indigenous Australian who believes he/she is inferior is getting the wrong advice, since colonisation everything possible has been done to demoralise a culture that for 80k years has done nothing to damage the joint

Comparing original inhabitants of Australia to the rubbish we're importing now is bullshit. We should be grateful Indigenous Australians don't only play the game amongst themselves and tell the rest of the world to go f**k itself . . . I'll try beach worm if that doesn't work

docbrown

Coach
I have said since it started the most common sense opposition side is the Islander All Stars -- they could do for their communities what the Indigenous side does for theirs. Two birds, one stone.

That said I'll be interested to see how the World All Stars goes.

I still say they should play the match on the Friday of Grand Final Weekend. It won't overshadow the Grand Final - the NFL Pro Bowl doesn't overshadow the Super Bowl.

If players from the bottom 8 teams join the training squad at the end of the season & other players join as their teams are eliminated from the finals, players could spend 4 solid weeks out in these communities promoting rugby league etc instead of end-of-year club benders. For the entire month of September you'd have speculation on the squads & rugby league would increase the numbers of stories in the media cycle and would become prime real estate in future broadcast deals. The game itself would pull Preliminary Final type numbers. With the right opponents - like the Islander All Stars - or even cycling the opponents, it could turn into a miniature Origin event.

And not that I like to use the AFL as an argument but you can bet they're trying to figure out how to maximise not only their Indigenous match but also how to create an All Stars/Origin concept that works. That same slot is their ideal time for the exact same reason as it is at the peak of the season with the least clash against club matches. The NRL should be smart about it and lock the slot as a tradition.