What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World All Stars

Lambretta

First Grade
The reason there will be no Super League players in the All Stars game is because their season has pretty much started by the time this game arrives

No English team would release their best players to take the exhausting trip to Australia to play in a friendly.

Could you imagine an NRL round taking place with depleted teams for the All Stars game?

insert.pause

First Grade
England captain Sean O'Loughlin says it will be almost impossible for him to play for the World All Stars in February.

It was announced on Wednesday that a new combination, comprising players from around the rugby league world, would face the Indigenous All Stars in next year's pre-season showpiece at Suncorp Stadium on February 13.

As part of the new concept, the captains of Australia, New Zealand and England would be automatic selections.

But Wigan's O'Loughlin told NRL.com: "Our season will be up and running then.

"I don't know whether they thought Jammer [James Graham] was captain.

"It would be fantastic but there's a bit of a clash. I think we've got Brisbane the following week. It would be a tough one to pull off but we'll see what happens.

"It's good to have your name thrown in the mix but I wouldn't be holding my breath."

England coach Steve McNamara welcomed the news, however, as recognition of his country's place in the sport.

"I presume the four players will be based in the NRL," said McNamara. "I did read where it would be the captains of England, Australia and New Zealand.

"I can't see it involving anyone from Super League. Super League's started at that point, hasn't it? There's no way that's going to happen."

St George Illawarra five-eighth Gareth Widdop said: "It's something a little bit different and sounds like a good idea."

Another complication is that following the current tour, New Zealand will have two incumbent captains - Adam Blair and Issac Luke.

Widdop's Dragons and England team-mate Mike Cooper is in doubt for Saturday's Second Test at London's Olympic Stadium due to a knee injury.

He missed Wednesday's training run at St George's Park at Burton-on-Trent.

Both sides will name 19-man squads on Thursday. Any concern regarding Blair's head knock suffered on Sunday has been allayed by concussion tests.

Asked if he had any news regarding the plans of Sam Burgess, McNamara said: "I'm hearing there is something happening but it's not confirmed.

"It's all rumour. You tell me. He's not spoken to me.

"I'll be glad to have him back in rugby league. The game needs characters like him."

Canterbury's James Graham became the most capped England player with his 27th appearance in the 26-12 win over New Zealand, on Sunday.

http://www.nrl.com/england-captain-unlikely-for-all-stars/tabid/10874/newsid/90774/default.aspx

I can't see any difference in the world stars than the NRL stars, if they are only going to use NRL based players.
I can't see any point in changing the name of the game.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think changing the name to world all stars, and guaranteeing the mix of nations, is to combat the detractors of the game who try to claim the game is hard to support because they can't cheer on a game thay pits indigenous australians against Anglo-australians. This argument has been used quite wildly, even by journalist who should know better, despite the fact that the nrl allstars has always had a good mix of kiwis, people with Polynesian back grounds and the odd token pom.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
There were always poms kiwis and islanders in it. Adding a Frenchman (maybe) doesn't warrant a world name change

Edit- ahh just read your post Diego. Makes sense.
Perhaps should have been world all stars from the start...

However the world vs aborigines still is the best racial segregation right there isn't it..,

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
Cant believe they didnt make it polynesian all stars. Lost opportunity there, but i guess world all stars isnt so bad.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I lke the decree that it must feature X number of players from each nation, but they really should be dropping the "1 player from every team" requirement. Its too much of a gimmick.

Cant believe they didnt make it polynesian all stars. Lost opportunity there, but i guess world all stars isnt so bad.

Youre right that its a missed opportunity, but theyll probably give it 3 years then look at it again.

Id rather "Pacific/Oceanic All Stars", as Polynesian would exclude PNG and Fiji. Itd be a shame for these players to miss out based on an arbitrary distinction.

Last Week

Bench
Grant doesn't know how many teams in Sydney, Greenberg doesn't know who the England capt is, couldnt make it up lol.

Lol, I know right. Just like someone thinking that Optus will gain more subscribers from the exclusive EPL content than they would for NRL content.

insert.pause

First Grade
Has anyone tried to come up with a World All Stars side? It's pretty hard.

-No indigenous players
-min 1 & max 2 players per club
-max 4 x AUS/ENG/NZ

1.RTS (NZ/Warriors)
2.Koribete (Fiji/Storm)
3.Widdop (ENG/Dragons)
4.Taufua (Tonga/Manly)
5.Radradra (Fiji/Eels)
6.Milford (Samoa/Broncos)
7.Johnson (NZ/Warriors)
8.Graham (ENG/Bulldogs) C?
9.Smith (AUS/Storm) C
10.Gallen (AUS/Sharks)
11.Taumalolo (NZ/Cowboys)
12.Blair (NZ/Broncos) C
13.S.Burgess (ENG/Souths)

14. Segeyaro (PNG/Panthers)
15. Kasiano (Samoa/Bulldogs)
16. Moa (Tonga/Roosters)
17. Woods (AUS/Wests Tigers)
18. Whitehead (ENG/Raiders)
19. Sims (Fiji/Newcastle)
20. Elgey (AUS/Titans)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you can add S Burgess to the list now. At least they may be able to add an England captain after next year lol.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Has anyone tried to come up with a World All Stars side? It's pretty hard.

-No indigenous players
-min 1 & max 2 players per club
-max 4 x AUS/ENG/NZ

1.RTS (NZ/Warriors)
2.Koribete (Fiji/Storm)
3.Widdop (ENG/Dragons)
4.Taufua (Tonga/Manly)
5.Radradra (Fiji/Eels)
6.Milford (Samoa/Broncos)
7.Johnson (NZ/Warriors)
8.Graham (ENG/Bulldogs) C?
9.Smith (AUS/Storm) C
10.Gallen (AUS/Sharks)
11.Taumalolo (NZ/Cowboys)
12.Blair (NZ/Broncos) C
13.S.Burgess (ENG/Souths)

14. Segeyaro (PNG/Panthers)
15. Kasiano (Samoa/Bulldogs)
16. Moa (Tonga/Roosters)
17. Woods (AUS/Wests Tigers)
18. Whitehead (ENG/Raiders)
19. Sims (Fiji/Newcastle)
20. Elgey (AUS/Titans)

Isaac luke is co captain of the new zealand, so is an automatic selection. That means you have to drop a warriors player.
Is max 4 aussie players? Or is that max 4 aussie test players? Either way it's pretty tricky

insert.pause

First Grade
Isaac luke is co captain of the new zealand, so is an automatic selection. That means you have to drop a warriors player.
Is max 4 aussie players? Or is that max 4 aussie test players? Either way it's pretty tricky

Blair is there, I doubt both co-captains have to be picked, they are both just fill-ins for Mannering anyway, so he will probably be automatic selection if fit.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Interesting piece by Mascord.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/g-20151105-gkrlcx.html

International World All Stars should not qualify for Australian team

The new World All Stars team to play an Indigenous side in February raises an interesting and important debate. If you are Australian for the purposes of Test football, then you should not be Tongan or Samoan or Fijian just for the sake of this game.
The idea - which pits a composite side made up of four Australians, four Englishmen, four New Zealanders and a bunch of other nationalities against the Indigenous side - is a positive development in terms of the NRL's increased interaction with the rest of the rugby league-playing world.

But it's not a statesman-like gesture.
Players continue to be forced to commit themselves to the Australia team as a condition of playing State of Origin, a convention that allows the green-and-golds to use the huge match payments on offer in that arena to stockpile players.

There is fierce resistance to that changing, even though Origin has been protected by a rule requiring players to have lived in either NSW or Queensland before the age of 13.
There may be a belief among NRL types that given they have not been able to separate Origin from Test football, this new concept is some kind of consolation for Origin players wanting to represent their country of heritage.
But if that's their objective, it's a cop out.

Allowing Michael Jennings to play in this game as a Tongan, or James McManus as a Scotsman, or Akuila Uate as a Fijian when they are all unable to represent those countries after declaring themselves Australian only further shores up Australia's stockpile and hurts the international game.

Like the Aussies, Kiwis and Englishmen involved in the World All Stars, the Welshmen, Cook Islanders and Samoans must be eligible to play for those countries and NOT Australia. This is absolutely imperative if we are going to create an incentive for NRL players to commit to developing nations.

jim_57

Staff member
Should just ditch the 1 from each NRL club rule IMO. It's trying to hang on to the NRL allstars brand when you're supposed to be changing the concept.

Valheru

Coach
May as well expand and go all out racial profiling.

The aboriginal team
The white team
The Polynesian team

And any other ethnic based team we can think of.

I've said this before, this is a ridiculous and inherently racist concept.