What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge discussion

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Mate, will be heading over and enjoying the match with a few others. Any idea where you guys will be before the match? Any particular pub etc?

Godz Illa

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/17/3141461.htm?site=sport&section=all

Dragons chasing rare league treble

It is a treble that has not been achieved in 19 years, with NRL premier St George Illawarra determined to cap 12 months of dominance with victory over Super League champion Wigan in next week's World Club Challenge.

Not since Brisbane in 1992 has an Australian club collected the minor premiership, premiership and WCC title - with Eastern Suburbs the only other side to complete the clean sweep when it defeated St Helens in the inaugural match-up of competition winners in 1976.

The Wayne Bennett-coached Broncos thumped Wigan 22-8 just weeks after beating St George in the 1992 premiership, and the Warriors are again standing in Bennett's way as he looks to repeat the feat with the Dragons.

With the Dragons having last week added the Charity Shield to the JJ Giltinan Shield and premiership trophy won last year, the WCC represents the final piece of silverware in what is an already bulging trophy cabinet.

"It would (complete the trophy cabinet) but obviously we've got to put the hard work in," Dragons skipper Ben Hornby said.
"To get all those would be great, but we've got to go over there and play well.
"It'd be a huge achievement - the win the NRL's a huge achievement and to beat the best over there is another achievement as well.
"I think it's pretty special and it's something we'll be going over there to take very seriously."

Beating Wigan will not be easy however, with the Super League champions to have played two club games by the time the Dragons arrive at DW Stadium on February 27, though they will be without key off-season recruits Brett Finch (neck) and Jeff Lima (suspension).

That makes Friday night's hit-out against Canterbury at Wollongong Stadium all the more vital as the Dragons look to fine-tune some combinations ahead of their trip to the UK.

Halves Hornby and Jamie Soward return after missing last week's Charity Shield win, but Test winger Brett Morris (ribs) is a likely scratching to face the Bulldogs with Peni Tagive set to get a start on the left flank.

"Last week the boys played really well so it's about going out there and trying to back that up against another good side," Hornby said.
"It's going to be tough (against the Bulldogs), they've got some blokes who have got a point to prove so it's going to be a good hit-out for us."

Only skipper Andrew Ryan, new signing Frank Pritchard and hooker Michael Ennis are missing from the Bulldogs' first-choice side, with Kris Keating and Ben Roberts to continue their battle for the number six jumper for the season opener against Wests Tigers.

silverex

Bench
At the risk of being howled down for taking this thread off topic, and because I can't help myself as I'm a massive pedant, I give you this from answers.com....

am is the abreviation of Ante Meridiem, it comes from latin and means 'before noon'
pm means Post Meridian which is latin for 'after noon'

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_pm_and_am_stand_for_according_to_the_time

So, if 12:00 is 'noon' then 12:00am is 'noon before noon' and 12:00pm is 'noon after noon', which is stupid. One minute after 12 at 12:01 it is fine.

Therefore, on the dot of 12:00 it has to be either 12:00 noon or 12:00 midnight to make any sense.

Your honour, I rest my case! :lol:

After all that, are we any closer to knowing when the game will be shown?

I just want this game to be over with our boys back home with no injuries. That's my biggest worry.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I'm with you mate!

The game will be shown LIVE from 6 Ante Meridiem on FoxSports3 on Monday the 28th of February 2011 AD.

:)

big pat

Coach
am, isn't that jeff fenech favourite word, ps i hope everyone gets back fit and healthy, even our very own forum members, just worried some might get drunk and disorderly, and end up at the old bill.

silverex

Bench
I'm with you mate!

The game will be shown LIVE from 6 Ante Meridiem on FoxSports3 on Monday the 28th of February 2011 AD.

:)

Phew, now that that's sorted out I just need someone to have Fox connected to my place and to tell my boss I'm going to be late! :D

WireMan

Bench
am, isn't that jeff fenech favourite word, ps i hope everyone gets back fit and healthy, even our very own forum members, just worried some might get drunk and disorderly, and end up at the old bill.

There watching a game of rugby then going out drinking in the North West of England. I doubt they will stand out to much!! :D

Unless the liverpool fans amongst them stand in a club in the middle of Manchester and tell everyone how great there team is, then it may get disorderly...

Or... They go to watch Saints vs Warrington in the super league and get the train from Manc to Widnes in full saints gear. Given that the train passes right through Warrington...

Or... They go to a pub and complain loudly about the weather and keep going on about how great Sydney weather is...

Or... Well you get the point! I'm sure they will be fine!! :D

The Major

Bench
Is public nudity allowed?

The urge for a bit of streaking might pop its head. Nobody wants to fight the naked guy, you know.

Infarction

Juniors
Have a great trip all of you that are going, disappointed as that I couldn't get away to see it live.

Another trophy in the cabinet will be impressive :)

The Major

Bench
Stadium regulations - http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.aspx?id=40

6 & 16 may cause us some concerns!
No poles, hmmm means signs & flags may be an issue.
No cameras is huge, surely you can take a standard point and shoot camera?

We should be ok with banners still. I emailed DW stadium a month or so back regarding this matter and was advised that we should be ok providing we are respectful of those seated around us. In light of your message ive decided to fire off another email just to get reconfirmation and have someone there put their name to giving it the ok just to be on the safe side.