What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World club challenge

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Interesting thread - whilst I don't think Saints will win the WCC I certainly think they will suprise a few based on some Panthers fan comments on here.

We're probably the most NRL-esque team to come out of SL in recent times, by which I mean we play with a high level of intensity that teams have struggled to live with. This Saints side is a team in the true sense of the word and I thiunk will give a good account of themselves.

Players like Makinson, Welsby, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Knowles, Roby, Lees, Bachelor would all get a run in good NRL sides in my opinion. Then there are the ex NRL lads like Sironen, Lussick, Paasi, Sione, Hurrell who are decent players albeit not amongst our very best.

I think eventually a good few of the players who play in a couple of weeks will end up in the NRL and will be some of the better players to have done so (Welsby and Dodd in particular).

I think you'll enjoy the game and Saints will give a strong account of ourselves and SL.
Bro, this is just another trial game for us, no one really cares who wins, we are just praying for no injuries.

No offence, but the Saints wouldn’t make the top 10 in a regular NRL season, whilst they may make a good showing of them selves in this game, let’s put it into perspective a little bit.

$6.50 with the bookies are fairly juicy odds, especially considering we traditionally don’t trial well. Might be worth a cheeky 10er.

Whino

Bench
Bro, this is just another trial game for us, no one really cares who wins, we are just praying for no injuries.

No offence, but the Saints wouldn’t make the top 10 in a regular NRL season, whilst they may make a good showing of them selves in this game, let’s put it into perspective a little bit.

$6.50 with the bookies are fairly juicy odds, especially considering we traditionally don’t trial well. Might be worth a cheeky 10er.

I care who wins. I want to see us claim WCC at least once during my lifetime.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I care who wins. I want to see us claim WCC at least once during my lifetime.

Why? It means nothing, NRL are using it instead of a trial game…. I’m happy to play Saint Helen’s, but we need to fit and healthy for rnd 1.

Injuries are that matter in these games.

FearTheVee

Juniors

Fair enough - that attitude is probably the reason why you’ve never won it and got wel beaten the couple of times you’ve tried. ;)

The whole nobody cares vibe doesn’t seem to be shared by your players so hopefully we get a good game.

ps I believe this saints team would 100% make the top 10 on the NRL and we have a few that would get in your XVII.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Th
Fair enough - that attitude is probably the reason why you’ve never won it and got wel beaten the couple of times you’ve tried. ;)

The whole nobody cares vibe doesn’t seem to be shared by your players so hopefully we get a good game.

ps I believe this saints team would 100% make the top 10 on the NRL and we have a few that would get in your XVII.
The club cares you can bet the boys are ready .ST Helens would need to aim higher than top ten .I am expecting a great attacking game .Both sides will play open footy .Welcome to penrith ST Helens

Hooked

Juniors

Only had two bites at winning it.

91 was a few weeks after the GF.
Vs Wigan.Most of the players went on a bender. Fittler and Geyer were missing from the team. Most didn't want to go over to England. The ones that did. Played like it.

04 we were outplayed by Bradford. Nothing more to say.

We did win all 6 games vs ESL teams in 1997. In that crock of a competition. Including 2 wins vs St Helens ; )

This team is a whole different beast. Their attitude is completely different to past Penrith teams.
Not every Panther fan thinks this game is a waste of time. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:

FearTheVee

Juniors
Only had two bites at winning it.

91 was a few weeks after the GF.
Vs Wigan.Most of the players went on a bender. Fittler and Geyer were missing from the team. Most didn't want to go over to England. The ones that did. Played like it.

04 we were outplayed by Bradford. Nothing more to say.

We did win all 6 games vs ESL teams in 1997. In that crock of a competition. Including 2 wins vs St Helens ; )

This team is a whole different beast. Their attitude is completely different to past Penrith teams.
I know this is a different Penrith beast mate, I was being playful.

clearly we’re underdogs but I genuinely do expect we’ll go well even if we come up short.

I think your fans will appreciate our best of British like Walmsley, Roby, Welsby, Knowles, Makinson who I’m sure will step up well.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Th

clearly we’re underdogs but I genuinely do expect we’ll go well even if we come up short.

I think your fans will appreciate our best of British like Walmsley, Roby, Welsby, Knowles, Makinson who I’m sure will step up well.
there is a bit of talk over here a few of your players could well end up here

Luke Bowden

First Grade

our players want to win everything, so they will take this trial seriously.

Who would make our team? I honestly can’t see anyone…..

FearTheVee

Juniors
our players want to win everything, so they will take this trial seriously.

Who would make our team? I honestly can’t see anyone….
I’d say Makinson, Walmsley, Roby are amongst the best players in the world in their position. Walmsley would get in any team in the world, including the Kangaroos IMO.

Welsby will also be one of the best players in the world within a year or so (if he isn’t already). Knowles is a tremendous 13 but obviously you have a real class act there.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’d say Makinson, Walmsley, Roby are amongst the best players in the world in their position. Walmsley would get in any team in the world, including the Kangaroos IMO.

Welsby will also be one of the best players in the world within a year or so (if he isn’t already). Knowles is a tremendous 13 but obviously you have a real class act there.
Walmsley is good, but he’s not better than Fish or Leota. Arguably you could say he’d take Spencer’s spot, but Spencer brings a lot of aggression and line speed.

Welsby is not getting picked over any of our back 3.
Mackinson would struggle to make our reserve grade side. Not even being disrespectful, we are very strong in the outside backs.

I’ve watched Ruby for years, he’s a slow version of Kenny….

Murraymob1

Juniors
Like the grand final the first 15 minutes are vital they smashed the dragons during that time.Hold then and we should win.Having said that our bench is not the best

soc123_au

Staff member

I appreciate that your boys made the trip so close to the start of the season, you have some fantastic players, but tonight will be nothing short of a good hard fisting. Lube up!!