What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

JJ

Immortal
Good on Blair for saying that and showing leadership, really liking that. Also important to note it's not just JT and not just Kiwis - these late shifts to Tonga are unprofessional which isn't what the game needs, but hopefully they all stay with Tobga now and they do something good in the next 5 years

Problem remains Blair just isn't a terribly good player while JT is...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Lets get over Taumalolo and look at where we're at. Our squad below looks ok considering.

Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Gerard Beale, Adam Blair (capt), Kenny Bromwich, Addin Fonua-Blake, Peta Hiku, Shaun Johnson, Thomas Leuluai, Danny Levi, Isaac Liu, Simon Mannering, Te Maire Martin, Jason Nightingale, Kodi Nikorima, Russell Packer, Jordan Rapana, Brad Takairangi, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Elijah Taylor, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Jared Warea-Hargreaves, Dallin Watane-Zelezniak, Dean Whare.

I'm going to try and guess Kidwells team...

1. RTS
2. Dallin Watane-Zelezniak
3. Brad Takairangi
4. Dean Whare
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Adam Blair (capt)
9. Danny Levi
10. Russell Packer
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Martin Taupau
13. Simon Mannering

14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Isaac Liu
16. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

The players in bold were named in the squad for either Samoa or Tonga this mid year. I never read any moaning from the Samoans or Tongans. Spare a thought for them aye...
http://www.nrl.com/samoa-and-tonga-squads-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/106195/default.aspx

Reactions: JJ
f**k yeah Adam Blair. If you are too chicken shit to tell Kidwell in person and in a reasonable time frame you don't have the mana to wear the kiwis jersey now or in the future....

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...ealand-rugby-league/3et299s1p47g1mnwnva6e0tlt

New Zealand captain Adam Blair hasn't held back when asked for his thoughts on Jason Taumalolo turning his back on the Kiwi team to play for his native Tonga at the World Cup later this year.

Taumalolo's decision to make the switch took many people by surprise with Blair particularly unhappy with the Cowboys forward's lack of transparency.

Just before the New Zealand side was to be announced, Taumalolo dropped his bombshell without giving Kiwi players or coaches a heads up and it's safe to say Blair isn't too happy with how it went down.

"You've got to be a man and own up to what you want to do," he told NewstalkZB .

"If you were man enough, you'd make the phone call and tell them.

"He could have told them a couple of weeks ago because I don't think it was a last-minute decision.

"Obviously this was something he was thinking about doing."

Blair's scathing assessment didn't stop there with the captain clearly not keen to see Taumalolo or David Fusitu'a, who made a similar defection, play for New Zealand in the future.

"At this stage, it feels like we've been let down a lot," he said.

"So do we let them back in the team?

"You're going to have to find some way to be able to trust them again but that does cause issues and problems that we don't need."

Benji has done a little video on this criticism of the situation about half way down this page

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/10/06...marshall-has-a-point-over-taumalolo-defection

Adds some spice and talk to a game against Tonga that would of gone unnoticed by many. Hamilton should be a sellout and JT2 should get booed everytime he gets the ball! :)

Its not the decision to go to Tonga, it's the way it had all unfolded.
Funny how it's been a few of them including Fafita, who's unhappy with Mel.

It's ultimately good for international games if there is more than 3 teams, even though there it mainly weakens NZ. Need France or Scotland to step up a bit.

I'd say don't pick them again, they have made their choice.

Final 4 looks like Aussie, England, Kiwis, Tonga.

I heard he was waiting on whether he got called into the kiwis.
He should have known on form he wasn't going to be there, he just had to watch other NRL games and could have seen others in much better form. So he should of had the papers filled out and sent in as a backup plan. :)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He should have known on form he wasn't going to be there, he just had to watch other NRL games and could have seen others in much better form. So he should of had the papers filled out and sent in as a backup plan. :)
Yeah, I personally wouldn't have picked him. I don't think Luke is done in terms of recapturing the form that can get him back in black. If he slims down and gets that acceleration back, we'll see something similar to the Luke of old and I truly think its a simple as losing that weight.

In regards to him waiting on a kiwis selection, he was the incumbent and probably felt he did enough in his NRL games to keep his hopes high. By trying to get into the Irish side shows he wanted to play in the RLWC so he'll be crushed and hopefully he takes the disappointment and uses it as fuel to return to form in the off season as we've seen pro athletes do before.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Is Corey Norman eligible for us ?
He is Maori but he hasn't said anything as far media reports go. He might do a Taumalolo and decide to play for us later on but we could really use him now.

Yeah through his ethnicity and the current policies, Im sure he is eligable but does he want to.

Yes, and I've been saying for at least 2 years that he should be playing for us. He's never gonna crack QLD, this year proved that.

Anyway I came in here to talk about the Luke to Ireland thing, cos I honestly couldn't imagine that staunch as Maori representing Connor McGregor and his people.

JohnDoe

Juniors

He is. Apparently Kearney approached him about playing for the Kiwis back when he was coach at the Eels. Story goes that Norman said no. Apparently he dosen't identify with his Kiwi side, because his father who is a Kiwi left him, and the rest of his family at a young age.