What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worldwide influence of You Am I

carcharias

Immortal
What has You am I done?
just to put it into perspective.
Hourly Daily. 1996 ARia's

Album of the year
Best Group
best independantt release
best producer
best engineer
best video

The only band/artist to do better is maybe Savage Garden , Nollsie or that chick from neighbours who rooted the scud.
now lets be serious here, of those 4, there is really only one real band.
The rest is the type of music that gets platinum albums due to teenage girls paying for it.

That is a pretty damn good effort for a little rock group from Sydney.

I wonder how far Ratt or Poison would of got if they had come from Australia.
My guess is not very far at all.
My guess is they would have had shyte chucked at them ...like Roxus did.

Now if You Am I had come from Seattle.....?

Red Bear

Referee
Ramones are a myth, they were influential to some and because of them we now have a generation of mediocre musicians, happy? they were influential to particula people which many were the skidmarks of the earth, Sex Pistols?:lol:

What has You am I done?

Why would you not? how would define a great group then? If they didn't sell albums you wouldn't know that they were great because you wouldn't have heard them, album sales your right aren't absoluetly everything but are extremely important to influencing others, originality is another important component. So we have 3 major components;

- Significant album sales
- Significant Influence
- Originality

You am I unfortunately don't have any three of these, they sound like everyother band you hear at a pub, pathetic record sales for a band allegded to be influential.

Oh and as for ABBA etc, well a start you have compared them to a different genre altogether to suit your argument, and secondly Nickleback have alot more musical talent then You am I, do you consider You am I to be more talented then Nickleback? tell me why you think that and support your argument. ABBA whilst were not my favourite group or genre were talented in their own right, just because a particular genre doesn't suit yours doesn't make them less talented, listen to the actual music, anyone with an ear can spot something which requires talent, playing eruption requires talent, playing 4 bar chords? not so much:lol:
Bad Religion are a great group

I consider Nickleback to be boring as batsh*t, and very average musicians and song writers. At least You Am I are good songwriters, even if their music isnt my cup of tea.

Carchias has a great point, about if You Am I came from America and some of these great artists were from australia. The perception would be completely different.

sydraider

First Grade
Bad Religion are a great group

I consider Nickleback to be boring as batsh*t, and very average musicians and song writers. At least You Am I are good songwriters, even if their music isnt my cup of tea.

Carchias has a great point, about if You Am I came from America and some of these great artists were from australia. The perception would be completely different.

Would still be the same 3 chord alternate crap to me, just with a different accent.

Stagger eel

Staff member
one things for certain, the album will sell more than Chinease Democracy ever will...lol

wouldn't cost as much to make also..lol

miniHINDY

Juniors
You obviously have no idea with this 'three-chord' claim. You Am I are far from a punk band. Just because the band isn't full of men in leather tights and women's hair playing 5-minute-long masturbatory solos, doesn't mean they are a Ramones cover band.

carcharias

Immortal
3 chords?

Damage
Am Am7 Am+ Am6 Am/G Am/F E7sus4 E7 Dm G7 E/G# A Dmaj7 Am(maj7) F#m Bm

How much is enough
Csus2 Csus2#5 F G Em A F5 D/F#

Pizza guy
B Absus2 E5 F# Ab Am7add6 G G/F# G/F

Purple sneakers
D Dmaj7 F#m FmMaj7b5 Em A Asus4 Bm

Heavy Heart
C E7/G# Am Am/G D/F# F Fm E7 D7 Bb

Tuesday

E 022100 C#7sus2 x46444
C#m x46654 Ab 466544
C#msus2 x46644 Bsus4 799800
Csus2 x35533 E5 x799xx
G 3x0033 Ebaug x698xx
G/F# 2x0033 F#sus4 x9911xx
Bm x24432 B x244xx
Bmsus2 x24422 F#(add B) 244300
C#7 x46464 G6 355400

http://www.youami.net/tabs.htm

PLus a tuning guide here for you 3 chord dudes....
http://www.youami.net/tabs/resources/tuningguide.txt

Knock yourself out...you may learn something.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
You obviously have no idea with this 'three-chord' claim. You Am I are far from a punk band. Just because the band isn't full of men in leather tights and women's hair playing 5-minute-long masturbatory solos, doesn't mean they are a Ramones cover band.

So you base music taste on how they look?

You have no idea:lol:

You do realise that a majority of todays influences came from blokes who had womens hair and wore leather?:lol: you do realise that David Bowie wore more make-up and dresses then any Poison gig?

Run along, go and save the whales, you only like You am I because it suits your image.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
one things for certain, the album will sell more than Chinease Democracy ever will...lol

wouldn't cost as much to make also..lol

The funny thing about that Stagger is that Gunners have already done a sold-out world tour promoting the album even though it hasn't be released:lol: talk about respect:D

Last edited:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
f**k me dead, Led Zep, ACDC wore leather, occasionaly dangled with a tad of make-up but their image is never questioned? or what about Queen? nope, Bowie nope....lol

Alex28

Coach
So you base music taste on how they look?

You have no idea:lol:
Yet your argument in this whole thread is about how many platinum albums they have?

So on that basis you must be off to listen to some britney spears and celine dion then?

You have no idea...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yet your argument in this whole thread is about how many platinum albums they have?

So on that basis you must be off to listen to some britney spears and celine dion then?

You have no idea...

My whole argument?:lol: no no no no no, a big part of it for when defining success, as well as how influential one band can have on other musicians. If You am I were that influential everyone would be buying their albums, if you don't sell albums you simply are not known, how did You am I get a record deal then? you do realise that music companies need to make money don't you? how do they do that? does You am I have a record deal?:lol:

Again, You have know idea, why are you comparing different genres of music? you do realise that comparing pop to rock/bands etc is a stupid comparison? you do realise that rock groups will never have the same level of success as a mainstream pop/rap/techno act? simply more people choose not to listen to rock, rather easy listening or something to dance too. So when a rock group sells millions of albums that is quite a significant achievement. Their has only ever band one era when rock was almost as popular as Dance etc, Hair rock, lead solo's, power chords, great voices were the rave, respect that:D

Alex28

Coach
So...hair rock = simple music = simple fans (just lots of them)?

Glad I'm a You Am I fan then!

sydraider

First Grade
you dont get much more simple then you am I, they redefine the term basic.

In other words- Boring

carcharias

Immortal
hard decision...

POICD005.jpg

or

2002_drinks.jpg

I know who my son will be allowed to listen to.