What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worldwide influence of You Am I

league_guru

Juniors
Seriously if you don't know who Tim Rogers or You Am I are you spend too much time stroking yourself.

Heres what the guys from Pearl Jam had to say about the great man:

23-02-2003
Can't find a better band
Members of Seattle superstars Pearl Jam have proclaimed their love for You Am I in a recent interview. When asked about the Australian music scene, bass player Jeff Ament had this to say;"I’ll take You Am I any day of the week over The Vines. Come on! Tim Rogers is one of the best songwriters ever. Why they’re not where The Vines are is beyond me. It’s good marketing I guess: he’s a cute kid, screams a little bit, whatever… I saw the Vines on the MTV Awards and I wasn’t into it. Whereas You Am I, you get the record and think 'okay' but then you see them live and everyone is bouncing."

We are talking about the most influencial band in the last 20 years in Australia. They could have been huge if Tim sucked the record companies apendages but he decided to do his own thing and that takes more guts than to fall into some big corporate machine and not write songs from yer gut.

Oh yeah and your write they did go off the rails after their debut. Their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums all debuted at #1 (first Oz band to do that) as well as the fact 2 of those have been voted in the top 10 Australian albums of the last 20 years.

You guys have got freakin tin ears. And I'd bet my left nut Tim could play the solo from Beat It.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Seriously if you don't know who Tim Rogers or You Am I are you spend too much time stroking yourself.

Heres what the guys from Pearl Jam had to say about the great man:

23-02-2003
Can't find a better band
Members of Seattle superstars Pearl Jam have proclaimed their love for You Am I in a recent interview. When asked about the Australian music scene, bass player Jeff Ament had this to say;"I’ll take You Am I any day of the week over The Vines. Come on! Tim Rogers is one of the best songwriters ever. Why they’re not where The Vines are is beyond me. It’s good marketing I guess: he’s a cute kid, screams a little bit, whatever… I saw the Vines on the MTV Awards and I wasn’t into it. Whereas You Am I, you get the record and think 'okay' but then you see them live and everyone is bouncing."

We are talking about the most influencial band in the last 20 years in Australia. They could have been huge if Tim sucked the record companies apendages but he decided to do his own thing and that takes more guts than to fall into some big corporate machine and not write songs from yer gut.

Oh yeah and your write they did go off the rails after their debut. Their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums all debuted at #1 (first Oz band to do that) as well as the fact 2 of those have been voted in the top 10 Australian albums of the last 20 years.

You guys have got freakin tin ears. And I'd bet my left nut Tim could play the solo from Beat It.

So what is this suppose too prove? various artists rate one another? Sting rates Feurgie ( spelling) from Black eyed peas does that mean she's everything?:roll:

How can you prove he has been the most influential! i bet my left nut that ACDC/Metallica are two of the most prominent influences for younger musicians, i've been around 100's if not thousands of guitarists in my time, and not one shred of a lie i've never heard one of them rate You am I as an influence, no bullsh*t! i've heard everything from Living End, Green Day, Offspring, Pantera, Hendrix, Gunners, Oils, Angels, Ramones etc never have i heard, just once someone mention You am I!

Again, if they're that popular and wonderful everyone would be wanting too play like him and purchasing his music etc.

A bloke like Iva Davies sh*ts all over the bloke and band in relation too musicial talent, and has success overseas, even Midnight Oil have had reasonable success, You am I, nothing, because their music is uninspiring to the vast majority.

As for Tim being able too play Beat it? oh yeah, have you seen him play it? :roll: well then if not what a stupid argument too bring in, considering that as a guitarist a solo like beat it involves of precise finger picking and speed which only persons in that particular field of style can master, Tims style is predominately chords and basic solos which any beginer could master within a short time frame. We all saw John Mayers attempt at the solo, pathetic, at one of the most famous and INFLUENTIAL guitar solo's of all time, but let me guess Tim could, couldn't he? pity he struggles to sell out decent venues in his very own country:lol:

And by the way Beat it isn't even a hard solo to master, any lead guitarist will tell you that. Next next time use Eruption or Surfing with the Alien as an example, do you play guitar by any chance? well if so go and learn these two particular songs note by note.

I'm sure you can/have:lol:

carcharias

Immortal
Ron, seek help for your drinking problem.

I am starting to feel sorry for you now.
The alcohol has kept you in a permanent state of 1985.

salivor

First Grade
Lol, even Ament from Pearl Jam says their albums are only "okay". Wow, I'm really compelled to listen now.

Alex28

Coach
How can you prove he has been the most influential!
No one said they were "the most influential" - we just said they were "influential". You'll find it hard to argue that they have some influence over a number of Australian alternate bands.