What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst refereeing decision you've seen

legend

Coach
Happens to us every week. Just ask Skeepe.

I thought the Sharks were rorted against the Knights this year. There was a blatant dropped ball over the line and Archer still awarded it after the video ref called refs call.

I remember Bill Harrigan executing the Eels in 2002 by sending Hindmarsh and a couple more Eels players to the sin bin to make it a 13 v 10 game, which the Knights subsequently won (@ Newcastle) and Harrigan was later demoted because of his performance.

I remember the Raiders getting rorted agains the Cowboys when Ty Williams ran the length of the field after blatantly knocking the ball on. Cost us the game.

aussie7798

First Grade
jamie soward performing the first rake out of a ball with his thigh in the games history in the 2010 GF allowing a rorter try was a shocker

and yes the morris not into touch call was horrible too.

But the forawrd pass against the dragons in a semi cant remember the year when the ball went around 7 metres forward is the worst call i can remember

also the Ridge no tackle rule in the manly dragons GF was a shocker

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Plenty of howlers but number 1 has to be that Gasnier "try".

Refs c**k up all the time in spur of the moment calls like forward passes etc. As much as they suck and I'll whinge if its against my team, its one of those "shit happens" incidents.

For a video ref to look repeatedly at a "try" that was so blatantly the very definition of NO TRY is just appalling.

Bill Harrigan, refining douche day by day.

That Morris into touch in the GF was a f*cking belter too.

gronkathon

First Grade
Penrith V Souffs.

Davidson king hits a player in the scrum knocking his head gear off. Davidson gets 10 but Hollywood still gives Souffs the penalty

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Considering the importance of the circumstances, the worst decision I've seen was the video ref awarding a try to NSW after a knock on by Brett Hodgson during the second half of Game 3 2006.

It was a decision which could have led to Queensland losing four series in a row. Even the NSW commentary team were flabbergasted as to why it was given.

Thankfully we overcame this injustice to win in glorious style.

skeepe

Immortal
Cannot remember the game, I am sure someone will know it. A penalty was reversed.

Anyone remember the game & approx year ?

Russell Smith did it once at Canberra Stadium.

Jason Smith was hit high and was injured, and Russell Smith penalised him for, wait for it, refusing to play the ball. The penalty was subsequently reversed when the video ref tipped him off about the high tackle, which is permitted due to it being a prior incident of foul play.

One of the worst calls I've seen, that original one. Fancy penalising a bloke for refusing to play the ball because he'd been concussed by a high shot.

The one legend alludes to, where Bowen knocks it forward and then Ty Williams, who is in an offside position, races away to score is another example, but Maxwell's f**k-up in Tigers vs Sharks this year would probably be the worst I've ever seen simply because the rules say what he awarded isn't possible.

jamie soward performing the first rake out of a ball with his thigh in the games history in the 2010 GF allowing a rorter try was a shocker

and yes the morris not into touch call was horrible too.

But the forawrd pass against the dragons in a semi cant remember the year when the ball went around 7 metres forward is the worst call i can remember

also the Ridge no tackle rule in the manly dragons GF was a shocker

It wasn't forward. You are talking about Steve Clarke's decision in 1998 at Kogarah. It's on YouTube.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I think a bad refereeing calls need to rated on different levels. Gasnier's knock-on try in a comprehensive 32-10 victory is vastly different to a howler in golden point

Danish

Referee
Tigers vs Knights was a classic leichhardt stitch up of epic proportions in it as well.

Gareth Ellis dropped an elbow on a defender on the ground, then when the defender got clear of the ruck and tried to get back onside another tigers player came through and cleaned him up.

Bizarrely the penalty went to the tigers and I believe they scored the try to take it to golden point off the next set.

MacDougall

First Grade
Not that it's the worst by any means but the last pass in the Souths vs. Tigers game a year or two ago for Farrell's third try was about 10 metres forward.

2010Dragons

Bench
551136-brett-morris.jpg

The Rooster forgot to read the memo sent out to both teams before the 2010 Grand Final.
The memo said the red lines are the touch line for the Dragons and the white lines are the touch lines for the Roosters. So that makes Morris foot in.
:crazy::D:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The Lockyer no try was another disgrace in 2002.

That series will always be considered a win for Queensland.

Tigers vs Knights was a classic leichhardt stitch up of epic proportions in it as well.

Gareth Ellis dropped an elbow on a defender on the ground, then when the defender got clear of the ruck and tried to get back onside another tigers player came through and cleaned him up.

Bizarrely the penalty went to the tigers and I believe they scored the try to take it to golden point off the next set.
Yeah that was Houston and he was penalised for taking out a Tigers player, the young winger Simona (spel) but it was Simona who took Houston out.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I think a bad refereeing calls need to rated on different levels. Gasnier's knock-on try in a comprehensive 32-10 victory is vastly different to a howler in golden point

Nah, I could live with the ref missing a knock-on that was barely noticeable and cost my team the game, but if we got thumped and the video ref looks at a knock-on like that forever, then just plain ignores it, well that's just the ref kicking you squarely in the plums while you're down.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hartley just in general.

I also remember Luke Douglas being sent off, still cannot work out why, was not charged.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Nah, I could live with the ref missing a knock-on that was barely noticeable and cost my team the game, but if we got thumped and the video ref looks at a knock-on like that forever, then just plain ignores it, well that's just the ref kicking you squarely in the plums while you're down.

It's almost like that ridiculous call has paved the way for knock ons to be awarded as tries. It's a deaset lottery when the put-down is poor nowadays

Latest posts