What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst signing

Breathingfire

Juniors
Ok there has been a bit of chat about player signings and I thought for a bit of fun we could post what we believe was the worst signing the Dragons have managed over the years. IE. biggest waste of money or biggest let down that promised so much etc. Without much thought i am going to give my trophey to Nathan Long. A piece of shire scum that played one game and f**ked off into oblivion never to be seen or heard of again. Im sure you'll all come up a few good ones!

I understand he probably didn't cost much and no one really expected anything in the first place but im guessing he didn't play for free so that qualifies as 'a waste of money'

Last edited:

blacklock

Juniors
trent barrett and jason ryles. rubbish player who held us back for so long. way overpaid and overhyped. was nice to get rid of both. (and then beat one in a grand final.)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'm going out on a limb and saying the gasnier re-signing.

please prove me wrong gaz.. please..

Godz Illa

Coach
Yeah, Gaz is a massive fail

Mark+Gasnier+NRL+Grand+Final+Dragons+v+Roosters+YHik-GVMnHvl.jpg

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, Gaz is a massive fail

Mark+Gasnier+NRL+Grand+Final+Dragons+v+Roosters+YHik-GVMnHvl.jpg

well, yes, good try that one..

but my thoughts are around the quality of players we had to lose in order to get him, and if his contract is as backended as made out to be, we'll still lose more..

he's done a couple of good plays since he's been back, but i still can't see this outweighing the loss of players like jeremy smith and neville..

Godz Illa

Coach
he's done a couple of good plays since he's been back, but i still can't see this outweighing the loss of players like jeremy smith and neville..
It's not like losing them puts us in spoon contention. As good as Jeremy and Neville are (legends), we still have a rep level backrow. Classy, matchwinning centres are harder to come by.

silverex

Bench
Forget rubbish player signings.

I could never understand signing Bennett! :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

St. Linnane

First Grade
I'm going with Wycliffe Palu.

Came to us with huge wraps from union; never played first grade only reserve grade and then goes back to union and becomes a lynchpin for both the Waratahs and Wallabies.

His talent is undeniable; just he didn't show us any of it.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Muz
Gaz came with a back-end deal that cost us unders, given his contract is bolstered by third-party deals. Third-party deals that rely on his maturity and acumen along with his reputation
If we have a surplus of anything in our roster it's talented back rowers
Smith and Costigan are both injury prone and whilst contributing to our GF performance have not been missed in 2011 Our RHS defence is the best in the NRL and Gaz is integral in that line
Next to Bennett and Boyd, Gaz was our best signing of the Bennett era.
As previously stated here; he draws both centre and wing in defence and leaves Nighty free to receive the cut-out pass (2 in the GF) quick flick on, or ridiculous offload from Gaz.
Had you kept Smith and Costigan, which of our back-rowers would you be dropping from our current best team options?