What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would an NRL owned stadium work in Sydney?

ouwet

Bench
arent you ingnoring the fact that Brisbane is a 1 club city?

Maybe Sydney has to many teams? Maybe we should get rid of more teams or merge more teams, that'll lift crowds? Because Dump stadiums aren't working!

ozjet1

I'd support it,

I think teams like Bulldogs, Souths, Roosters, Tigers etc would use it

If it held 30,000. I'm sure people would like it.

the roosters fan who doesnt even travel down the road from the eastern suburbs to the SFS is going to drive out/take public transport to the western suburbs for home matches? :lol:

do people think before they type?

ozjet1

Maybe Sydney has to many teams? Maybe we should get rid of more teams or merge more teams, that'll lift crowds? Because Dump stadiums aren't working!

YES!

there should be 5 teams maximum in the sydney metropolitan area, imo.

Slackboy72

Coach
No, I'm ignoring the fact that tickets to the broncos are relatively expensive yet people still pay overs to go watch Peter Wallace play.

Slackboy72

Coach
YES!

there should be 5 teams maximum in the sydney metropolitan area, imo.

So who do we keep?

Bulldogs, Wests and Dragons have to stay as they clearly have the biggest supporter bases in Sydney and around Australia for TV ratings.
Then two out of Parra, Manly, Easts, Penrith, Souffs and Sharks.

So you plan on cutting 4 clubs and alienating all those supporters?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I dont know about that,

take the 1970 VFL season , the home and away crowd average was almost 22K.

Last year , it was almost 38K.

Imo the major reason for the increase in crowd numbers has been the increase in population. There are also 2 less teams in melbourne now than there were then.

I dont doubt that the membership drive & new stadiums have helped , afterall the victorian AFL teams are all mostly inner city teams. However my guess is the increase in crowds would be mainly due to population increases.

I'm just looking at the long term trends in the crowds. AFL crowds in suburban venues were in the high teens/low twenties for almost all of their history. As soon as the Melbourne clubs were forced to all play out of big, central stadiums their crowd average jumped by 10K in a decade.

We're in a similar situation, our crowd averages have been stuck in the teens forever, if the Sydney clubs did decide to rationalise the NRL stadiums in Sydney (coupled with the memberships push) I reckon we'd see a similar increase.

ozjet1

So who do we keep?

Bulldogs, Wests and Dragons have to stay as they clearly have the biggest supporter bases in Sydney and around Australia for TV ratings.
Then two out of Parra, Manly, Easts, Penrith, Souffs and Sharks.

So you plan on cutting 4 clubs and alienating all those supporters?

an ideal world scenario unfortunately.

but the NRL wont amount too much while Sydney has 9 clubs, imo.

ozjet1

I'm just looking at the long term trends in the crowds. AFL crowds in suburban venues were in the high teens/low twenties for almost all of their history. As soon as the Melbourne clubs were forced to all play out of big, central stadiums their crowd average jumped by 10K in a decade.

We're in a similar situation, our crowd averages have been stuck in the teens forever, if the Sydney clubs did decide to rationalise the NRL stadiums in Sydney (coupled with the memberships push) I reckon we'd see a similar increase.

i take your point....but Sydney is a different beast to Melbourne. we're tribal in all aspects of our life.

people rarely venture out of their region.......north shore folk, the shire folk...........and roosters fans dont even go to games when they're travelling well, and they have the best stadium in the comp.

membership push would work , but I doubt a centralised stadium would work for anyone other than the 4 western sydney teams.

The NRL teams in sydney are just much more spread out than the melbourne AFL teams. Thats why 1 or 2 stadiums works in melbourne.

Im not sure many have a real appreciation of the spread of population in sydney.

Danish

Referee
Common home grounds is a great initiative, and despite the supposed mentality of clubs losing their home grounds, they get the crowds in.

We got a few memberships to ANZ at work this year, and I have been to a game almost every week because of them, regardless of who was playing.

I only went because it was free, sure, but I still added another number to their crowd figures.

If we had a couple common home grounds, and then offered free entry to all games at that ground for clubs who call it home, we'd see crowd numbers climb for sure.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
i take your point....but Sydney is a different beast to Melbourne. we're tribal in all aspects of our life.

people rarely venture out of their region.......north shore folk, the shire folk...........and roosters fans dont even go to games when they're travelling well, and they have the best stadium in the comp.

membership push would work , but I doubt a centralised stadium would work for anyone other than the 4 western sydney teams.

The NRL teams in sydney are just much more spread out than the melbourne AFL teams. Thats why 1 or 2 stadiums works in melbourne.

Im not sure many have a real appreciation of the spread of population in sydney.

I'm certainly no expert on Sydney but I have lived there for a few months, albeit spread out over a few trips.

I know we'll never see two inner city stadiums that all Sydney clubs will use because of the way the comp was structured around district football (it's the same situation in Brisbane. It's funny how the three smaller afl cities never embraced district footy and stuck with their inner city teams and no expansion).

In saying that I don't see why we can't aim towards having a Lang Park-style stadium (great access/cover/view/etc) in the west for at least Parra, Wests and the Dogs to use. A stadium that you can take your family to rain, hail or shine and know that you'll still have a great time.

Brycey

Juniors
the roosters fan who doesnt even travel down the road from the eastern suburbs to the SFS is going to drive out/take public transport to the western suburbs for home matches? :lol:

do people think before they type?
Obviously not by your post, although we are based in the east our fanbase is predominately in the west. If you dont believe me ring up the club and ask, its a very open and in some cases damning statistic acquired from our members.

Plus in 2008 we were the biggest 'away' drawing team with 30k plus crowds against Souths and Dogs at ANZ and 18k at Penrith.

Brycey

Juniors
A cenntralised stadium would MAYBE work for Roosters, Souths, Dragons, Dogs and (stretching it) Manly.

Other than that no way, anyone who understands Sydney knows how spread out it is, Penrith, Parramatta, Campbelltown are very well spread out, they're their own cities within a city.

Green Machine

First Grade
If there was a 50-60k genuine rectangular football built inside Olympic Park precinct at Homebush Bay, it would be a runaway success. The only missing piece with ANZ Stadium is the viewing. If the stands were configured like the SFS or Suncorp, more Sydney teams would play there.

WireMan

Bench
If by some miracle it happens, It'll be the best thing RL could do in Australia... State of the art stadiums purposely built for RL/Soccer is needed to build crowds not Surburban dumps because let's not kid ourselves... Campbelltown, Kogarah, Leichhardt, Shark Park, Penrith Park & Brooky are dumps.

Spend the money upgrading these stadiums then. Make them 'Rectangle' stadiums. Some nice seats, a roof, some good facilities etc. Add a few shops and/or a cafe and you have a good place for the family to go. If a dad feels like he can bring his kid and wife then you have just trippled the attendance, and the kid will come back for many a year.

I know money would be an issue, but there are plenty of government/private partnerships out there, so it would be possible. If Widnes, Warrington and Leigh can do it, i'm sure Penrith, Campbelltown etc. can. Just needs some forward planning and the will to do it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Need to upgrade the suburban grounds to 25k stadiums with decent shelter and no more than one side hilled. imo.

Green Machine

First Grade
Spend the money upgrading these stadiums then. Make them 'Rectangle' stadiums. Some nice seats, a roof, some good facilities etc. Add a few shops and/or a cafe and you have a good place for the family to go. If a dad feels like he can bring his kid and wife then you have just trippled the attendance, and the kid will come back for many a year.

I know money would be an issue, but there are plenty of government/private partnerships out there, so it would be possible. If Widnes, Warrington and Leigh can do it, i'm sure Penrith, Campbelltown etc. can. Just needs some forward planning and the will to do it.
Penrith is a rectangular Stadium. It has two good grandstands on each side. The NSW and Federal Government have spent quiet a bit of money on it the last few years. They have funding for an additional stand at the Howell Oval end. Campbelltown was reconfigured in 1999 and very good viewing. It is also currently getting upgraded. Penrith and Campbelltown Stadiums are not dumps as someone suggested. Kogarah Oval has had a major upgrade in the last few years as well. Parramatta is a purpose built Rugby League ground. Cronulla had an upgrade last season. The only two grounds that need upgrades are Leichhardt and Brookvale. Brookvale looks like getting an upgrade next season.

STG-MACCA

Bench
I would like to see Parramatta stadium receive an upgrade so it holds 30K under cover. Then they throw about 2km of train track from Parra station and you have transport.

Finally, give it a name change and your in business.

Penrith is pushing it a little, your getting up to 75Km's from the city centre.

Kogarah Oval is pretty marvelous now and I think Souths would be better off playing out of there.

WireMan

Bench
So no then. An NRL owned satdium in Syndney would be a waste of money. :)

a bit of upgrading here or there, sorted.

Latest posts