What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would Greg Bird Be Cheesed Off Right Now

jdizzle

Juniors
As they havent been charged theres no reason to stand them down.

What about breaking the team's code of conduct which reportedly says that they aren't supposed to be out for 6 hours getting drunk in the finals series?

If these players were reserve graders they'd be stood down. To think otherwise is just ignorant.

Razor

Coach
Completely correct.

I got a feeling that the media will catch onto that as well. Sooner or later

They already have except for the Broncos mouthpiece, The Courier Mail.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24356552-5001021,00.html
Cheer for Broncos sex assault suspects, urges MP

By Dean Ritchie
September 17, 2008 12:00am

THIS is the Queensland Police Minister who not only thinks she selects the Brisbane Broncos, but is also encouraging fans to cheer for three players under investigation for an alleged sexual assault.

In an extraordinary intervention yesterday, Police Minister Judy Spence said the players - Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd - should be chosen in Brisbane's side for their sudden death final against Melbourne on Saturday.

Do you think Ms Spence's comments were appropriate? Tell us below

She then called on all Broncos supporters to attend the match at Suncorp Stadium.

And it appears her wishes have come true - the three players were officially selected in the Brisbane team last night, with the match certain to be a 52,500 sell-out.

The Daily Telegraph understands the three players, who protest their innocence, have been interviewed by both police and Brisbane Broncos management.

Ms Spence revealed the police investigation could take weeks to determine whether the players will be charged over an alleged sexual assault on a woman in a Brisbane nightclub toilet last weekend.

"I would encourage people not to pre-judge these players or the events surrounding this incident on the weekend," she said.

She then adopted the role of cheerleader.

"Come along to the Broncos match this weekend. It's a very important match. The full team will be playing," she said.

"The police have got a lot of work to do before they conclude their investigation. I know the Broncos team, management and the players themselves do everything they can to promote a positive, healthy, wholesome image and they don't want to see their image tarnished."

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen was not commenting yesterday - on legal advice - but did issue a statement saying: "This morning I met with two senior police officers in charge of the police investigation and we covered the process followed to date by both parties. We also confirmed our resolve to work together to ensure all the facts are presented by all witnesses."

t1tan

Juniors
So,because of the way Brisbane handle this incident that should suddenly make Cronulla change their mind?
Would really show Cronulla as spineless..

Razor

Coach
So,because of the way Brisbane handle this incident that should suddenly make Cronulla change their mind?
Would really show Cronulla as spineless..

Not it shows how the Broncos are total hypocrites for constantly claiming to have an extremely tough player conduct code, but then when it's a top player and not a fringe first grade player saying "Oh well, who cares."

t1tan

Juniors
Not it shows how the Broncos are total hypocrites for constantly claiming to have an extremely tough player conduct code, but then when it's a top player and not a fringe first grade player saying "Oh well, who cares."
And that should have zero impact on what Cronulla have done re Greg Bird.;-)

ibeme

First Grade
I'm guessing that the Broncos and the Minister for police know a lot more about this case than the general public do. The Minister's comments came following a discussion with the police commissioner. I find it hard to believe that she would come out and say what she did had she received a negative vibe from her discussions with the commissioner.

The Broncos appear to be taking an extremely lenient stance given the tough examples they've set in the recent past. Although they've been tight lipped pending an outcome to the police investigation, they have made statements about innacuracies being reported in the media.

I might be reading it all wrong but, reading between the lines, it seems as though they expect a much more positive outcome than the rest of us.

fatshark

Bench
Ms Spence called Bird's demeanour "obstinate and belligerent" but Mr Malloch said calls for an apology were "laughable".
Bird did nothing
and Ms Spence again
"I would encourage people not to pre-judge these players or the events surrounding this incident on the weekend," she said.

For gangbanging in a toilet.
There is also another high profile player involved in this incident.:sarcasm:

This woman is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Razor

Coach
The Broncos appear to be taking an extremely lenient stance given the tough examples they've set in the recent past.

The Broncos have only ever claimed to be tough. They haven't shown it.

Unless the player is at best a fringe first grader nothing ever happens to them. They've sacked 5 players in 13 years for off-field incidents. Most clubs have sacked just as many.

mik01

Juniors
Do you see any irony here farkface.

please enlighten us?

I understand irony. perhaps you don't?

if I could be bothered typing out an explanation, I would, but I can't.
if you can't see the total difference between the facts and media 'facts' in both cases, please neck yourself immediately.

you're wasting valuable oxygen too..

caylo

Bench
In the end both are only alleged and it is unfair that bird cannot play whilst the broncos players can.

do me a favour, please, what was the action of the Cronulla Sharks managment when Bird told them he was not involved?? They supported him.

It was not until the next day in which the police found out that he lied to them that he was dropped. Greg Bird has at the very least attempted to pevert justice, which is a criminal offence. He also blatently lied to his club, and worst of all IMO tried to get his mate to take the fall. This is why he was dropped, because he is an out right thug... I have no respect for.

The three Brizzy players are yet to be charged with any crime, until them the cases ca not be even compared. The broncos and the NRL have no legal right to drop the players, an loss of wages (present or future) the club would be accountable for, and that is why neither the NRL or Brizzy will take any action atm.

dannyboy

Juniors
...It was not until the next day in which the police found out that he lied to them that he was dropped. Greg Bird has at the very least attempted to pevert justice, which is a criminal offence. He also blatently lied to his club, and worst of all IMO tried to get his mate to take the fall. This is why he was dropped, because he is an out right thug... I have no respect for.

Good to see that you read & believe tabloid newspapers. Yes he was charged but he has to date not been found guilty of anything.

...The three Brizzy players are yet to be charged with any crime, until them the cases ca not be even compared. .

Lets see you have no respect for a bloke who allegedly glasses a woman but you possibly do have respect for three blokes who gang bang a girl in what could allegedly be called a rape. Both are violent acts against a woman. You're right...there is no similarity :roll:

The broncos and the NRL have no legal right to drop the players, an loss of wages (present or future) the club would be accountable for, and that is why neither the NRL or Brizzy will take any action atm.
Total BS...they have every right to do so for bringing the club & game into disrepute....they've sacked other players for lesser transgressions. If this was round 10 rather than an elimination semi-final you can bet that the stands would have three extra bums for company.

Mr Saab

Referee
Good to see that you read & believe tabloid newspapers. Yes he was charged but he has to date not been found guilty of anything.

Lets see you have no respect for a bloke who allegedly glasses a woman but you possibly do have respect for three blokes who gang bang a girl in what could allegedly be called a rape. Both are violent acts against a woman. You're right...there is no similarity :roll:

Read your first paragraph and then use it for the second one :roll:

DJShaksta

First Grade
The broncos and the NRL have no legal right to drop the players, an loss of wages (present or future) the club would be accountable for, and that is why neither the NRL or Brizzy will take any action atm.

Incorrect. The club can drop any player they like if they feel the player has broken their code of conduct and/or tarnished the clubs name and/or image.

Shorty

Staff member
I think people need to realise here that allegedly the Broncos staff gave the team the weekend off...
Did they expect the team to drink lemonade and watch dvds?
This probably has a large input into why they have not been stood down and also the fact that Greg Bird was charged and Cronulla's sponsors were upset.

dannyboy

Juniors
I think people need to realise here that allegedly the Broncos staff gave the team the weekend off...
Did they expect the team to drink lemonade and watch dvds?
This probably has a large input into why they have not been stood down

Did they expect the players to gang bang a woman? Did they expect them to film it? Birds actions also took part on his own time and not during a club sanctioned/organised event. Also it should be noted that both the Broncos drama and the Sharks one are ALLEGED felonies.

...and also the fact that Greg Bird was charged and Cronulla's sponsors were upset.

This is actually the more relevant reason as to why Bird is warming a seat in the grandstand. However:
a) Tynan (another sponsor of the Sharks) are reportedly in support of Bird
b) Qld police minister has stated that the Broncos players should play because they are not charged....has the stench of delay charging them until the Broncos are no longer in contetntion for the title.
c) With the Sharks not seeing anymore of Seymour for the remainder of the season, sponsors may now be a little more interested in increasing te chance of seeing their logos on GF day than continuing to hold out over an ALLEGED event especially given the Broncos stance to not take action over an ALLEGED sexual assault.

I repeat my point that given the Broncos past stance, if this were round 10 i believe that the players would be stood down indefinitely until the matter was resolved.

Eels Dude

Coach
People seem to think the Broncos trio should be free to play because they were not "charged". It's rather difficult to obtain enough evidence to charge someone with sexual assault, whereas for the police they had enough to go with to charge Greg Bird.

This doesn't mean that they think Greg Bird did it, while they don't know if the Broncos trio did... it just means that when comparing one charge against another different levels of evidence are required.

Regardless of whether they're charged or not, three Broncos players getting on the piss all day, taking a young woman into the toilet and 'sharing' her... well to me that's completely unacceptable of first grade footballers, especially on such an important weekend. If she made a complaint, then that has to be taken seriously, instead of the club simply saying 'they say they've done nothing wrong'. Regardless of whether a sexual assault took place, the players were stupid for putting themselves in that position in the first place and should be disciplined.

dannyboy

Juniors
People seem to think the Broncos trio should be free to play because they were not "charged". It's rather difficult to obtain enough evidence to charge someone with sexual assault, whereas for the police they had enough to go with to charge Greg Bird.

This doesn't mean that they think Greg Bird did it, while they don't know if the Broncos trio did... it just means that when comparing one charge against another different levels of evidence are required.

Regardless of whether they're charged or not, three Broncos players getting on the piss all day, taking a young woman into the toilet and 'sharing' her... well to me that's completely unacceptable of first grade footballers, especially on such an important weekend. If she made a complaint, then that has to be taken seriously, instead of the club simply saying 'they say they've done nothing wrong'. Regardless of whether a sexual assault took place, the players were stupid for putting themselves in that position in the first place and should be disciplined.

You can pick any prize from the top shelf sport

Shorty

Staff member

Maybe you should have a read in the other thread to learn what the differences are.

In any case,I'm sick and tired of seeing desperate Sharks fans trying to justify letting an allegedly domestic violence perpetrator back into the NRL because they're so desperate to get a premiership - It speaks volumes.

Y2Eel

First Grade
In any case,I'm sick and tired of seeing desperate Sharks fans trying to justify letting an allegedly domestic violence perpetrator back into the NRL because they're so desperate to get a premiership - It speaks volumes.

Quote of the year!! It speaks volumes, of the supporter base...

dannyboy

Juniors

On the contrary from this little black duck Sharks fan. I support the stance the Sharks are making even if it costs them a shot but I see double standards and desperartion of the inaction by the Broncos....and a somewhat dubious approval by the "Queenslander" police minister. Now we have spoilt brat Bruno whinging that the Sydney media is picking on the Broncos. :shock:

Am I to gauge that you support the Broncos 'approval' of an alleged gang-bang sexual assault because they feel the need to have these players in the team in order to beat the Storm this weekend.

If the Broncos do manage to knock off the Storm with Hunt, Boyd and Thaiday playing whats the bet that any pending charges against them get lost in paperwork for another week or fortnight or more.

For the record: I refuse to form an opionion on Bird's guilt/innocence based on the BS that the media has dished up and to be fair, I have the same opionion about the Broncos trio. However, Greg Bird has had his reputation torn to shreds by forumites here based on media reports but it seems some Qeenslanders want to argue the 3 Broncos right to play because their police force is seemingly slower to react to violence against women.

Latest posts