What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

Nutz

Bench
The Balmain SG Ball team went down 7 tries to 2 yesterday in a disappointing hitout.
I was hoping to see how our recent signing Jared Haywood went but the game's not televised.
Two Macarthur games are on very soon today and are televised so I can give a report.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
SmartSelect_20240218-102620_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Just kicked off. Our boys are so much more bigger. We're undefeated and should power through Riverina.
There we go, a try straight away to a big boy lock Kye Penfold.
I'm going to predict right now that a towering winger for us, Mawin Tema Soaai will bag some meat pies today.
17:28 A lack of discipline is allowing Riverina in our red zone too many times.
20:00 They score off a bomb to the cnr, converted.
24:00 Crash ball, Benjamin Hodsdon scores close to the posts, converted.
Try scorer runs from the back fence to take the ball up after the kick-off. Very impressive.
29:00 As predicted, the big N⁰2, Mawin Tema Soaai scores in the corner. Not converted.
30:00 Great try by N⁰3, Elijah Sefo, converted.

Half time summary:
Super sub Benjamin Hodsdon scored a try and runs hard into D ala Martin Lang. The pick of the fwds.
Our backs led by Sefo and Soaai should have a try scoring blitz in the second half.

34:00 A big bopper Riverina prop runs the full length to score. I'm absolutely fed up with the way the modern day footballer has forgotten how to tackle the old conventional way, instead they often go high....too much arm grabbing atm and it's filtered down to pathways.
22-10 the score.
47:30 They score again down the right hand wing and again pathetic D....I have to remember these footballers are just young lads.
We crash over in reply. Both front rows are playing well. Converted.
28-14
Finally a backline movement that had all the fundamentals of a backline draw and pass situ scoring in the cnr. Not converted.
Fulltime 32-14
My Man of the match by a country mile was Benjamin Hodsdon. He reminds me of Roosters Hooker Brandon Smith the way he gets around the park and runs like Marty Lang.
I'll be watching his progress that's for sure.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
SmartSelect_20240218-115558_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Just started. These boys are bigger and are playing the basics well.
We are off to a bad start. 10:00 Sustained pressure results in an earl try. Converted 0-6

40-20 to them...mmm this does not look good.

We're back. Some good runs led up to an absolute brilliant individual scoot out of dummy half by hooker Dylan Smith sees him score under the posts. Woohoo!

So far our skipper 2nd Row Archie Duncombe and Dylan Smith look good.

21:00 Dylan Smith darts out od dummy half again to score another brilliant solo try. Converted. 12-6

Nearly straight away the Tigers are back in the red zone and Saint Fuatimau refuses to be tackled and eventually scores, great strength, terrible D. 18-6

Geez what happened, back from the crapper and it's 24-6. Running amok after a shakey start.

2nd Half
Riverina Bulls have a forward that looks like 30m tall. Runs hard...look a bit like Shaun Lane.
Anyways, as said earlier, our captain Archie Duncombe is playing well, another great run and try assist. 28-6
The onslaught continues. 38-6, make that
I know this sounds like a broken record but our captain Archie Duncombe is playing awesome. He just scored after his other prop teammate Lucas Rossi makes a bullocking run. They are a formidable front row. Throw Smith in there and you have a premiership pack... at this level anyway.

68:00 They score we score, everyone is hot and tired.
Fulltime 52-16.
Man of the match is a no brainer... Archie Duncombe.
Player to watch is our N⁰7 Dion Williams. He control things pretty well and was in everything and scored in the 38min mark.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
View attachment 84272
Just kicked off. Our boys are so much more bigger. We're undefeated and should power through Riverina.
There we go, a try straight away to a big boy lock Kye Penfold.
I'm going to predict right now that a towering winger for us, Mawin Tema Soaai will bag some meat pies today.
17:28 A lack of discipline is allowing Riverina in our red zone too many times.
20:00 They score off a bomb to the cnr, converted.
24:00 Crash ball, Benjamin Hodsdon scores close to the posts, converted.
Try scorer runs from the back fence to take the ball up after the kick-off. Very impressive.
29:00 As predicted, the big N⁰2, Mawin Tema Soaai scores in the corner. Not converted.
30:00 Great try by N⁰3, Elijah Sefo, converted.

Half time summary:
Super sub Benjamin Hodsdon scored a try and runs hard into D ala Martin Lang. The pick of the fwds.
Our backs led by Sefo and Soaai should have a try scoring blitz in the second half.

34:00 A big bopper Riverina prop runs the full length to score. I'm absolutely fed up with the way the modern day footballer has forgotten how to tackle the old conventional way, instead they often go high....too much arm grabbing atm and it's filtered down to pathways.
22-10 the score.
47:30 They score again down the right hand wing and again pathetic D....I have to remember these footballers are just young lads.
We crash over in reply. Both front rows are playing well. Converted.
28-14
Finally a backline movement that had all the fundamentals of a backline draw and pass situ scoring in the cnr. Not converted.
Fulltime 32-14
My Man of the match by a country mile was Benjamin Hodsdon. He reminds me of Roosters Hooker Brandon Smith the way he gets around the park and runs like Marty Lang.
I'll be watching his progress that's for sure.

great summary, thanks mate

Nutz

Bench
Gee Camden looks like it gets the temperature extremes eg freezing in winter, boiling in summer.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT
• Navren Willett

Position: Wing/Centre/Fullback/Five-eighth
Contract: NRL Preseason, Wests SG Ball

- 6’7 talent who was pursued by the Sydney Swans

- Can play fullback, wing, centre, 5/8

- Played this year in Taree before moving to Sydney
—————-
Done some good things in the first trial, didn’t realise he was so young?

Perth Tiger

Bench
NBWT
• Navren Willett

Position: Wing/Centre/Fullback/Five-eighth
Contract: NRL Preseason, Wests SG Ball

- 6’7 talent who was pursued by the Sydney Swans

- Can play fullback, wing, centre, 5/8

- Played this year in Taree before moving to Sydney
—————-
Done some good things in the first trial, didn’t realise he was so young?
when his body fills out he could be a monster

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT
Shane Richardson:
“You use your own kids and develop them into Flegg and into second grade, and to first grade. We must bring through the young players we’ve got and allow them time to develop. That’s how you build champion clubs, that’s how all champion clubs do it”

Nutz

Bench
Balmain Harold Matts Balmain v Storm

Leichhardt Oval looks awesome, grass looks like carpet.
After early goal line pressure hand the ball over to a storm flyer who runs the full length of the field to score - converted.
We've dropped our bundle early.
0-6
So an EFPOS play is taking a penalty tap instead of kicking for touch. Mmm ok.
Early prediction...
Balmain number 8 Felise Taufa'ao looks like a bigger version of Matamua and is still a lad. He hits the ball up well and has had 2 offloads. He'll be our man of the match, see how I go.

Our D is pathetic.
18:00 0-12

Number 5 Amram Paita-Pepo looks like a PNG lad similar to Olam. Has had a couple of bullocking runs and hard to tackle.

29:00 We score under posts 10-12

32:12 Awesome long midfield run by our halfback Tyler Birnie then 3 plays later he sets up a try to a wide runner 12-12

35:09 Storm bounce back with 3 soft tries in 12min 12-30

38:00 Halfback Tyler Birnie is a good footballer. Sets up another tigers try.
16-30

53:00 Pathetic D again 16-36

Summary: You know you have D issues when you allow the opposition ½back to score 3 tries from dummy half scoots.
Number 5 Amram Paita-Pepo played a lot at dummy half, made several runs and is a blackbooker as is our half Tyler Birnie.
Early prediction of number 8 Felise Taufa'ao was a fail, had few opportunities.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
SG Ball Balmain v Storm

Boys are playing well at this stage. ⅝ Benson directing most plays. We must be running into a wind cause of clearing kicks are shite. This rule off being in front of the kicker is catching out players in all grades.

13:00 Unlucky to be down 0-6
Number 18 Jordan Bunt and 10 Archie Riley playing well.

21:00 Great try to fullback Cameron Kanaan. We should be in front. 4-6

23:00 Harrison Hill from the storm gets a double, shite D close to line. Harrison looks a spitting image of ex storm player Scott Hill, probably his son.

Halftime 4-12
41:00 4-18
50:25 4-22

Biting allegation against a tiger player?? Well it is lunchtime afterall.

55:00 Archie Riley scores a well deserved try 10-22

Fulltime 10-28

Summary

The only player from both sides who's gonads have dropped is number 16 Jekope Sovau. The big prop is hard to tackle with a great off-load, unfortunately ill discipline let him down. I'll be watching him next game for sure.
Riley worked hard.
Gee it's nice lookin at the old scoreboard. Even though it's tiny, it strikes an imposing figure up on the hill.
I must say that in both Balmain games the Tigers' jerseys looked like a Wests Tigers jersey.
We really need to address this. Our club WT is not Western Suburbs nor is it Balmain. There has to be a distinction in pathways or better still get rid of it all together. In a few weeks we are going to have Balmain v Western Suburbs...that sucks.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I'm not totally unhappy with these two losses as there are players to suggest there is a bright future. Now on with Wests Tigers Trial.

Latest posts