What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF WT / Dane Laurie

super_coach

First Grade
SMH ran the same story, wants out and keen to link up with the dragons. Just his manager trying to get his contract upgraded for next year or a release so he can pick up more cash elswhere. The guys 25, I dont blame him he has to try and get as much as he can, probably only has another five years at best.

As for us resigning him or upgrading his contract thats a hard one, great media appeal, good crowd magnet and plenty of potenial but will he deliver more than a few of the young ones comming through over the whole length of the season??? Iam not sure on that one

gordsy

Juniors
He has the size and some talent but does he have the dedication to stay off the piss, get fit and reach his potential. At the moment he is a liability in defence and has feet for hands

Martinplace

Juniors
Maybe so but he wouldnt come into play if teflon gave this guy some more game time and stopped stuffing him around and included him in the game plan F... this decoy sh*t use The Major or the missing Bee Gee(gibbs) as the sacrofice they would have trouble breaking a line of rice cakes...the point is get rid of tim & roy

Surely you have to earn your game time, the guy runs hard but drops off on all other areas of the game, I thought he was a good thing, but his football has not developed, in fact it has gone backwards?

Pumba

First Grade
Clubs chase Laurie as Tigers stand him down from firsts

WESTS TIGERS cult figure Daine Laurie is considering seeking a release from the final year of his contract after being constantly overlooked for NRL selection.

As many as six clubs are believed to have expressed interest in the potentially devastating prop, who turns 25 today, including Wayne Bennett’s Dragons, who have lost Justin Poore to the Eels next season.

Laurie has played just 10 of a possible 18 matches this year and is unlikely to return to the NRL within the next four weeks after being sanctioned for failing to show up to a training session last month.

Laurie’s manager, Chris Haddad, met with coach Tim Sheens on Friday where it’s understood he requested an upgrade of Laurie’s bottom-tier, $45,000-a-year contract to remain. But a source close to the Tigers’ camp said the club was reluctant to do so because he’s yet to prove himself as a regular first-grader.

The Tigers have said they want to develop him into a back-rower next season, but a source close to Laurie said he was disappointed by the club’s stance and was considering asking for a release in coming weeks.

When contacted by The Sun-Herald, Laurie said he was a ‘‘frustrated’’ spectator but declined to comment on his contract situation. ‘‘Tim said Daine definitely has a future at the club and that he wants to keep him, but he wants him to play NSW Cup to learn how to play second row,’’ Haddad said.

‘‘Daine’s happy at the club but he wants to be playing first grade on a regular basis. He considers himself NRL standard. There are quite a few clubs interested in him but we’ll hold talks with the Tigers again in a few weeks before we look in to that.’’

Laurie is believed to be excited at the prospect of being coached by Bennett after seeing how he transformed Michael Weyman from a fringe first-grader into a State of Origin star in the space of an off-season.

Laurie was expected to return for tomorrow night’s clash with the Sea Eagles after being dropped for the past fortnight for failing to show to a training session last month.

Laurie is believed to have texted Toyota Cup coach Peter Gentle to explain he was staying at home, sick, rather than fronting training or calling Sheens, leading Tigers officials to believe he may have been hungover after players were given the all clear to have a rare drink on the Sunday.

He was then allegedly told he’d be stood down for the remainder of the season if he didn’t produce a doctor’s certificate – which he did – leading to discussions between his manager and the club.

League HQ

DanOz

Juniors
If Tigers let him go, it will come back to bite them.

I'd rather let Sheens go and sign John Lang.

Engine

Juniors
Im with Sheens on this one. I think we'd have lost with Laurie in the side tonight.

b.bear

Juniors
apparently he wants to stay with tigers , his only gripe is the lack of game time which makes sense in that how can get game fit without field time and decent time at that.he has paid for his mistakes more than any tiger player...

Magpie Nick

Juniors
full of it,what about williams try you had galloway jogging alongside with at least 2 chances to wrap the player up

Tony Williams should have never gotten the ball. The main issue here is why we had 3 defenders pushing Matai towards the sideline, where the hell was he going to go?

If Manly could have held the ball we would have been smashed. There was a major problem with chasing rubbish ball players across the park and opening gaps for the likes of Watmough.

DanOz

Juniors
full of it,what about williams try you had galloway jogging alongside with at least 2 chances to wrap the player up

I noticed that as well - Keith had 2 chances to tackle him, and just jogged alongside and watched - I can only put it down to fatigue.

I think Keith was thinking that the other 5 defenders around him would've tackled him and not hung off. Just throwing it out there.

DanOz

Juniors
I think Keith was thinking that the other 5 defenders around him would've tackled him and not hung off. Just throwing it out there.

No doubt he thought Williams was covered, but he was wrong. The others made an attempt at least, even though they failed. I'm not having a go at Keith though, his 1st hit out in ages he was going to be a little rusty.