What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wWho would you rather sign for 5 years, SBW or Dave Taylor

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
In terms of forwards prospects these two stand alone. No one else has their talent. There are other outstanding young forwards but none that really make you sit back and say holy sh*t. The question is then who would you rather sign for 5 years. SBW must be about 23 now so you'd have him until about 28-29. Basically the 5 prime years of his career. Taylor you'd be getting from 19-24 so you'd be getting him just before he comes into his prime. I still think I'd rather have Taylor though for a two reasons;

1, Injuries - Taylor is big and bulky and less likely to gain serious injuries I think.
2. Workrate - I think Taylor can probably get more involved at prop than SBW can out wide.

In terms of strength, speed, ball skills, offloading I think they are quite similar. SBW has maybe proven himself with his offloading skills and may appear more evasive. However dont underestimate Taylors footwork or his offloading ability. It rivals Sonny Bill. Taylor hits holes well too just like SBW.

Its a close thing. Obviously SBW is more proven at this stage but Taylor looks like such a shoe in that I think we can actually pose this questions seriously. Discuss.

badav

Bench
Taylor has still got heaps to show and prove. He hasnt even played 10 first grade games yet.

mongoose

Coach
SBW by far, we have enough dave taylor like players, not saying he wouldn't be a great addition to the side.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
Taylor and SBW are on a whole other level to TLL.

Taylor is as blue chip prospect as you can get. You just know he will be great.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Kid Dynamite said:
Taylor and SBW are on a whole other level to TLL.

Taylor is as blue chip prospect as you can get. You just know he will be great.
Explain to me this reasoning!

TLL just needs to stop getting injured and he'll be one of the best.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Kid Dynamite said:
1, Injuries - Taylor is big and bulky and less likely to gain serious injuries I think.

I wouldn't bank on that. He's still got knees and a bloke that big is putting a lot more strain on his joints than someone smaller. As the old saying goes, he can't run without legs, and there have been plenty of big guys who's careers have ended due to injuries.

salivor

First Grade
Depends what you want, a bloke who can win you games today in SBW or a bloke who'll be winning you games in a couple of years time in Taylor.

Noa

First Grade
mongoose said:
SBW by far, we have enough dave taylor like players, not saying he wouldn't be a great addition to the side.

Feel free to point out all these other 19 year old 115 kg props with that speed and skill, because in my 20+ years of watching league I've only seen 2 or 3 with his package at his age.

btw at this point Id have SBW, but ask me again this time next year.

strewth_mate

Bench
Jeez, can't imagine Sonny Bill as an older fella. All the publicity he's ever had is around him being a young superstar, can't wait to see what he's like, and what his media profile is, if he's still around when he's pushing 35.

But anyway, I'd obviously have either in my team for starters. In terms of preference though, I'd go for Taylor (or at least the idea of Taylor). We've already got a superstar in the backrow in Reegan Tanner, so I don't know if we could accommodate Williams in first grade.

Mr Saab

Referee
strewth_mate said:
But anyway, I'd obviously have either in my team for starters. In terms of preference though, I'd go for Taylor (or at least the idea of Taylor). We've already got a superstar in the backrow in Reegan Tanner, so I don't know if we could accommodate Williams in first grade.

Superstar eh? Ooooook.

salivor

First Grade
Dogaholic said:
And you think SBW won't be winning the dogs matches?

A much easier question to ask would've been: is geniusation a pre-requisite to become a Bulldogs fan?

Dazzat

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Explain to me this reasoning!

TLL just needs to stop getting injured and he'll be one of the best.

There is no question here ... David Taylor is 'The Man'.

TLL is a great athlete, but hasn't anywhere near the footballing smarts of Taylor. Not even in the same ball park.

SBW is a great talent, but if your front-rowers win you games as is often cliched after games, David Taylor is potentially more valuable.

He has the X-factor times 3.

Nathan B

Juniors
I'd love to say this is no contest, but I haven't seen this Taylor kid play. But a few of points...

1. Sonny is currently only 21 years of age. (Although not for long.) In five years time he still might not have reached his peak.

2. Sonny has only played ~55 games. The guy is still learning how to play the game and what he's capable of. Yes, he's only played this small number of games because of injuries, but, as long as he can remain injury-free, this time off will help him remain fresh at the back end of his career.

3. It's clear to me that Sonny has that extra something which makes him great. The steal on a very good player in Creagh (many people have criticised Creagh, but I don't think you will see a better one-on-one steal) is just one example of him coming through when his team needs it. There are a heap of very good players in this league, but only a few have that X-factor which lift them to greatness.

4. Sonny is not Tahu's bitch ;-)

As I said, I haven't seen Taylor play. But I hope for Bronco fans' sake that he becomes at least half as good as Sonny because you'll have a very good player on your hands.