What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A. Thread (Liverpool fans thread) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I'm not overly excited at all.

Benteke is a proven PL goal scorer but I have my doubts of how he will fit into our squad and style of play. He very well may prove me wrong and I hope he does but at 32 million it's a big gamble.

cb4

First Grade
Lukaku 28 mil
Bony 30 mil

Benteke is better than both. The British tax on players is ridiculous.

Its not my money, so I dont give a f**k.

Welcome Benteke.

Following was posted on ESPNFC -

Christian Benteke a risk worth taking for Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool

i

There are always transfer sagas that become tedious each summer, and now that Raheem Sterling's drawn-out switch to Manchester City has come to a close, reports suggesting that Liverpool are set to sign Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke are now picking up pace.

It's understandable the Merseysiders should be cautious given the hefty fee needed to secure the striker's services, but Villa could not have made their stance clearer. It has taken a while for Liverpool to be prepared to meet Villa's £32.5 million release clause and some sections of the Reds' support remain unconvinced regarding the Belgian.

The intention is to return to the style of play that made Liverpool so successful while Luis Suarez led their title charge. The high pressing game that had rattled so many opponents in 2013-14 was never going to work with an individualist leading the line. Mario Balotelli doesn't offer half the graft that Suarez does from the front, and the concern is that neither will Benteke.

It's a valid point -- the Belgian has many commendable strengths, with his aerial prowess perhaps chief among them, but one of three weaknesses according to WhoScored.com's statistically calculated player characteristics is his defensive contribution. In his time at Villa, the striker has never averaged more than half a tackle per game. While Suarez was at Liverpool, by comparison, he always averaged more than one tackle per game.

The assumption that Benteke would not fit Liverpool's system may not be a bad thing, though, at least as far as last season's approach is concerned. Rodgers' tactics were confused at times last season as he struggled to find solutions, so looking for an alternative isn't necessarily the wrong plan. To say Benteke is nothing more than a target man would also be a disservice to his talents.

If there is one team other than Aston Villa that should appreciate Benteke's all-around talent, it's Liverpool. The striker has scored five goals in six appearances against the Reds, including an equaliser in the FA Cup semifinal that Villa won 2-1 earlier this year and a quite sensational performance at Anfield in 2012.

It's true that Benteke has scored the most headed goals (13) in the Premier League since signing for Villa in 2012. It's also true, however, that only two strikers have scored more goals from outside the box in that time (five) and only three have created more chances (133).

In the absence of the injured Daniel Sturridge, Benteke could feasibly fit in a return to a front three, with Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho in support of the central striker. But once Sturridge returns, it's difficult to see how Liverpool could incorporate all four.

For such a huge fee, that is a concern, and links to Alexandre Lacazette seem more appealing to the Reds' fans. The Frenchman's ability to play through the middle as well as wide in a front three means he is more adaptable to Liverpool's long-term plan under Rodgers.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi scored more goals in Europe's top five leagues last season, which has led to a surge in interest in Lacazette. In terms of pressing high up the pitch, however, the Lyon forward won possession in the final third fewer times (19) than Benteke (21) last season.

Lacazette is quite similar to Sturridge -- both were forced to play wide before a move infield saw them flourish -- and while that's certainly no criticism, a significant outlay on a player that essentially offers something the club already has is also a risk. Instead, Liverpool have opted to add variety to their play, adding a sense of unpredictability to a side that looked one-dimensional in the absence of Suarez's individual brilliance.

Much has been made of Liverpool's reluctance to play crosses into the box -- no side averaged fewer per game last season (17) -- but that will now change. The option is there and it's an extremely profitable and beneficial one to have. He might not make many runs in behind defences, but neither did Suarez. Sturridge is the man to do that once he returns from injury.

To splash out on Benteke's release clause will of course force Rodgers to consider the Belgian as Plan A rather than Plan B. It's a risk and one that the club have seemingly been forced into taking.

Nevertheless, with an average rating of 7.27 from WhoScored.com since moving to England, having had a direct hand in 50 goals over the past three seasons, Benteke is proven in the Premier League and only likely to find the net more often in a team that boast the creative talents at Liverpool's disposal.

All statistics courtesy of WhoScored.com, where you can find more stats, including live in-game data and unique player and team ratings.

saint.nick

Coach
Am I the only one excited by this guy? He knows how to score from anywhere. He scores a lot of headers because he's simply just very good at taking advantage of his size, it doesn't mean he's clueless at scoring any other way.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i've always rated benteke, i just get pissed that we let them become 30m valued players before seriously trying to buy them. he's not worth 30m

however the toffees paid 25m for a younger countryman and benteke imo is much better

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I'm comin around to the signing as well. He's got all the tools to be a great striker and hopefully being surrounded by better quality than at Villa will bring more consistency to his game. Just hope we can get more than the long ball target he is at villa.

saint.nick

Coach
If I really rate the player and like the signing, then I prefer not to agonise over the fee. If the player's performances realise my expectations, then it makes the price worth it anyway.

saint.nick

Coach
i've always rated benteke, i just get pissed that we let them become 30m valued players before seriously trying to buy them. he's not worth 30m

however the toffees paid 25m for a younger countryman and benteke imo is much better

We could have gone in for him a year ago but he was stricken with an achilles injury. It's a no-win situation though. If you buy a player before his value skyrockets, you'll be criticised for buying unproven talent. But then if you buy a proven player for a recently inflated price, you'll be criticised for not buying him when he was cheaper. The flaw with that interpretation is the huge benefit of hindsight.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Jordan Ibe is going to have a cracker of a season, his confidence is sky high and he's got swagger now

Milner is also going to be a revelation in our midfield he's an absolute workaholic just everywhere tonight

captain hendo is looking overweight, surprising giving his dedication to training

lolesi

First Grade
Haven't been impressed by origi yet. Looks sluggish and off the pace

Milner has really impressed, as has Gomez, Ibe, Clyne, Ings work rate... Moreno also impressed on Monday night when he came on.. Bit of competition for him now

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Ings has that Robbie fowler/Rushie fox in the box strikers instinct we've lacked since Suarez, he might not have his tricks but he does look sharper with his goal accuracy

saint.nick

Coach
Origi does look sluggish at the moment. Our final ball in general is also looking sluggish, even was at training. Moreno and etc weren't nailing many crosses during an attacking drill, and it showed during the game when heaps of balls and final balls weren't finishing off their attacking plays. Nothing to panic about though, it's a normal pre-season thing.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
there's too much enthusiasm going on.....

just had a look back over the last few pages, and realised how f**king right i've been over you lot :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.