What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yanks love RL ... they just don't realise it

Calixte

First Grade
I know we would love them to love it.

The 65,000 that turned up at the SCG to watch the USA play Sydney at rugby league in 1953 is testament to that.

It is just a shame the experiment wasn't given the dedicated and total support in the 1950s that would have been required to at least get a foot in the door in the narrow US sports market.

The French RL were keen for it, for example. They wanted the US included in the 1954 inaugural Rugby League World Cup, played in France.

Gee_Up

Juniors
It's a long term project but instead of sitting on their a*ses and letting other clubs do the promoting- the NRL should be consistently chipping away at that market. I reckon they'll watch this closely then come in like good sorts at the end and try and steal some thunder.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gee_Up said:
I can tell you getting hit by 3-4 100kg+ blokes from different angles at the same time isn't fun. I'd rather get hit by one 140kg guy diving at me head first any day.

Great game to watch but not as good as League IMO.

Who says in NFL only one player can tackle you at any given time? You often get one RB or WR or QB getting smashed by two or three huge LB's/DE's/DT's at a time.

And I've experienced being hit by league players first hand - not pleasant.

But I very much doubt getting hit by a 140kg angry, angry black man is pleasing in any way.

Dave Q

Coach
That was an awesome try thanks Vlad.

I counted 15 passes on the way, and there were some pretty good ones in that, forward or otherwise.

A few of these blokes could probably have a great time in league.

The commentary "oh my god" was pretty fitting.

It would have been great to have seen it live.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I have always wondered why more NFL coaches or college coaches don't make a better use of 'laterals' as they call them. The defenders tend to bunch in on the guy with the ball because they aren't expecting him to pass the ball. But if the guys were taught some passing skills they might in the right circumstance get the ball away. The defence would then be shot to pieces.

innsaneink

Referee
Natalie's Daddy said:
I have always wondered why more NFL coaches or college coaches don't make a better use of 'laterals' as they call them. The defenders tend to bunch in on the guy with the ball because they aren't expecting him to pass the ball. But if the guys were taught some passing skills they might in the right circumstance get the ball away. The defence would then be shot to pieces.

Im not that into NFL, but I think most times all attacking players have blockers or defense on them already before they even get the ball.
The defense in the video was non existant.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I would even think a maul like in Union would work well. The player with the ball has to hit the ground so if they formed a pack and drove forward it could be hard to stop. Then have a few guys lined up a bit wider and if the defence rushes in then pass it out.

taste2taste

Juniors
greenhat said:
I always thought the same of NFL til I got stuck with only ESPN for entertainment and watched a few games out of sheer boredom. It takes a while to adjust to the ridiculous stoppage time but I think you need to get in a mindset something like watching cricket. It helps to have someone else to chat to while youre watching. (For me a housemate who went to an international school so grew up playing it)

Once I did get used to the stoppage time it was fantastic. The action is spaced out but it is truly spectacular. The impacts, the skill, the tactics, the set plays etc are really something to behold. It is crazy that the players only play one position offensive or defensive but it means they are incredibly good at the specific thing they do. The stoppages mean most players don't need to focus on fitness and can be truly enourmous, powerful blokes in the positions that require it.
I don't think any sport has highlights quite as impressive as NFL.

I don't find it as exciting as league, but if you can force yourself to sit down long enough to get used it, its well worth it.

I record the games with IQ and fast forward the huddles and ads.

You can watch a full game in under 30mins, as opposed to the 4 hrs it takes to play in real time. It also works with NBA and Basebal as welll....the Americans really like their sports sloooow.

It's a pity League isnt thier number 1 sport....if only i could get in a time machine and introduce it to the pilgrims.

Moss on the wing, Owens in the centres, Strahan and Kearse in the second row, Brady at 5/8 and LT at dummy half...that would be a decent team.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Natalie's Daddy said:
I would even think a maul like in Union would work well. The player with the ball has to hit the ground so if they formed a pack and drove forward it could be hard to stop. Then have a few guys lined up a bit wider and if the defence rushes in then pass it out.

The play can be stopped by the referee even if the ball carrier hasn't hit the ground.

The main reason why laterals hardly work in the NFL is because the NFL is faster and far more skillful and brutal in defence than college ball - you wouldn't see guys like Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Nmamdi Asomugha and co. standing around like stunned mullets just watching the play unfold.

Eelementary

Post Whore
taste2taste said:
I record the games with IQ and fast forward the huddles and ads.

You can watch a full game in under 30mins, as opposed to the 4 hrs it takes to play in real time. It also works with NBA and Basebal as welll....the Americans really like their sports sloooow.

It's a pity League isnt thier number 1 sport....if only i could get in a time machine and introduce it to the pilgrims.

Moss on the wing, Owens in the centres, Strahan and Kearse in the second row, Brady at 5/8 and LT at dummy half...that would be a decent team.

Favre at halfback and you got yourself an unbeatable team.

meltiger

First Grade
Short of reading them all ... Which I don't want to do, so I can't state exactly which one it is. I've had a flick through but I couldn't find the section.

I own Blockers two books, Sirro's book, Junior Pearce's book and Mundine's.

In one of them, there is a section talking about an exibition game played in the states against Americans (It may have been before/after a Kangaroo tour or around the time of the SOO exibition in LA in '87) - Whichever one it was, and besides Choc you would hardly call any of them soft players - they mention being hit harder than they ever have in their life by the African Americans they were playing against.

& these were clearly guys not good enough to make it to the NFL ... Don't be fooled by the padding, they wear it for a reason.

It'll never be anywhere near as good as RL but it is one of the best games around, if anyone is interested in giving it a crack w/o having to go through the stoppages - In the past SBS has played the SB live in the morning, but then they show a 2 hour replay later on in the night which has most of the stoppages cut out. If they do that again this year, I'd highly recomend the replay for anyone who has a beginners interest in the game.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think the athletes are great but the format of the game is terrible. It is like when league had unlimited interchange. Sure the game was faster but not as good to watch. The constant stoppages and only short stints on the field make these players power athletes only and so they cannot show much in the way of endurance.

legend

Coach
Eelementary said:
Favre at halfback and you got yourself an unbeatable team.

That would be the biggest team ever assmebled.

As for Favre, he's too old to play any sport, let alone league.

Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis, Asante Samuel, Bob Sanders and Brandon Jacobs would all be great league players IMO.

Latest posts