What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yanks love RL ... they just don't realise it

Eelementary

Post Whore
sherrinator said:
There were at least 6 shepherds in that play :sarcasm:

To those saying yanks would love rl because they think lateral passes are amazing, i put it to you if we had rl teams coming up with rehearsed plays and pulling them off (see parra in the 80's) everyone here would be creaming their jeans.

With things as simple as tries resulting from wrap-arounds or multiple decoy runners we cream our pants.

You don't see many laterals in college football or NFL, and you don't see many "fancy" plays in the NRL. So when you do see them, you get excited.

By the way - that play was pretty damn good.

Bazal

Post Whore
Eelementary said:
Maybe it's because I'm an avid NFL fan (though league is still my favourite sport ever), but I have to agree.

NFL defensive linesman: 2m+ tall and 140+ kg
NRL prop: 1.85+ m tall and 110+ kg

Big discrepancy there - I tell you, I would much rather have a Morley or an Asotasi running at me or tackling me than some f the monsters in the NFL, padding or not.

Difference is, in general, NFL players use the padding as a weapon in a hit. I've played gridiron (and I obviously acknowledge the massive difference between the game here and in the US) and generally the blokes can't hit without the pads...whereas I had very little problem taking a hit with the pads on (cept when the went high)...I'd still back an Asotasi or a Morley without the pads. With pads...well obviously they aren't used to having to contend with a hip to the face, so they'd prolly get smacked

Eelementary

Post Whore
Still - I'd wager that your Brian Urlachers and Ray Lewis' could play as a lock forward in the NRL (with proper training of coruse). They don't hit "hard" like some of the hits we've seen in the NFL over the years, but much like PJ Marsh and Lincoln Withers, these blokes have an impeccable tackling technique and can stop just about anyone in their tracks.

Like I said, I'm a massive league and Eels fan - so my comments are not meant to look down upon league in any way. But a lot of people are indifferent and, dare I say it, ignorant, of the NFL and therefore criticise it when, in its own right, it's a great sport.

But comparing and NRL athlete to an NFL athlete is ridiculous. I mean you could argue a punt or kick returner may make a great league fullback, and that a second-rower/lock may make a great linebacker...But it's like apples and oranges, really.

thommo4pm

Coach
Eelementary said:
Maybe it's because I'm an avid NFL fan (though league is still my favourite sport ever), but I have to agree.

Big discrepancy there - I tell you, I would much rather have a Morley or an Asotasi running at me or tackling me than some f the monsters in the NFL, padding or not.

Difference is a Morley or an Asotasi are running flat out for around 60-70 minutes each and every match.
The NFL players are stopping and starting every few seconds.
The NRL guys wouldn't be able to be around the 140kg mark, they do way too much fitness work....that kind of weight would be detrimental to them playing in the NRL.

NPK

Bench
I still find it absurd that there are members of gridiron teams (the big blocking guys) that never get to touch the ball apart from unlikely intercepts. They play football, but never touch the football?! Ridiculous really.

legend

Coach
I honestly think ignorance of how much skill is required to play the NFL is indoctrinated in most Aussie sports fans because we don't wear padding.

I defy anyone to do what a QB can do. To throw a perfect spiral with pin point accuracy fifty yards down field to a player running flat out and hit him in stride.

If the NFL was played with fewer ads/stoppages and under a no huddle offensive scheme, it would be huge here.

Sonic Star

Juniors
legend said:
I honestly think ignorance of how much skill is required to play the NFL is indoctrinated in most Aussie sports fans because we don't wear padding.

I defy anyone to do what a QB can do. To throw a perfect spiral with pin point accuracy fifty yards down field to a player running flat out and hit him in stride.

If the NFL was played with fewer ads/stoppages and under a no huddle offensive scheme, it would be huge here.

Most games take skill to play but that doesn't make them entertaining. As you pointed out there is way to much stoppages and the game is to slow.
It's like a traffic jam.

STSAE

Juniors
Sonic Star said:
Most games take skill to play but that doesn't make them entertaining. As you pointed out there is way to much stoppages and the game is to slow.
It's like a traffic jam.

Why am I not shocked boomboy doesnt get it????:crazy:

:lol: :lol:

greenhat

Juniors
I always thought the same of NFL til I got stuck with only ESPN for entertainment and watched a few games out of sheer boredom. It takes a while to adjust to the ridiculous stoppage time but I think you need to get in a mindset something like watching cricket. It helps to have someone else to chat to while youre watching. (For me a housemate who went to an international school so grew up playing it)

Once I did get used to the stoppage time it was fantastic. The action is spaced out but it is truly spectacular. The impacts, the skill, the tactics, the set plays etc are really something to behold. It is crazy that the players only play one position offensive or defensive but it means they are incredibly good at the specific thing they do. The stoppages mean most players don't need to focus on fitness and can be truly enourmous, powerful blokes in the positions that require it.
I don't think any sport has highlights quite as impressive as NFL.

I don't find it as exciting as league, but if you can force yourself to sit down long enough to get used it, its well worth it.

Redback71

First Grade
not a bad touchdown (try) talk about orgasmic what is the commentator on. cant get over how many many players they use, did they all take part in the game.

by the way when is the rabbitohs vs leeds game on over in the USA anyone know if they will be showing it on tv in Australia.

thommo4pm

Coach
Not sure yet if the game will be on Fox or Free to air in Australia.
It's on Australia Day on Jan 26.
Promotions and sales surrounding the match in Florida has been enermous.
It's a credit to all involved in promoting the game over there in particular Darryl Howland from the Jacksonville Axemen Rugby League Club along with Russell Crowe.

joshreading

Staff member
Not sure if it has been said but one of the players in that team is a Rugby League player from the WildCats in the AMNRL

Eelementary

Post Whore
thommo4pm said:
Difference is a Morley or an Asotasi are running flat out for around 60-70 minutes each and every match.
The NFL players are stopping and starting every few seconds.
The NRL guys wouldn't be able to be around the 140kg mark, they do way too much fitness work....that kind of weight would be detrimental to them playing in the NRL.

Very true. And as I said - I love league and wouldn't knock it.

It's just that people seem to really like bagging NFl without truly understanding just how much work goes into it.

You watch Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor and tell me they're not impressive athletes given their size.

Hell, I've even seen massive defensive ends actually chase down and tackle a runaway halfback - we're talking a guy well over 2 metres tall and probably weighing over 140kg chasing down a guy who was probably 1.8 metres and 105kg if that. OK, the halfback was ducking, weaving and juking not to get tackled and thus was slowing down a bit - but for the defensive end to chase him down from behind and actually complete the tackle to me, at least, is impressive.

bobmar28

Bench
greenhat said:
I always thought the same of NFL til I got stuck with only ESPN for entertainment and watched a few games out of sheer boredom. It takes a while to adjust to the ridiculous stoppage time but I think you need to get in a mindset something like watching cricket. It helps to have someone else to chat to while youre watching. (For me a housemate who went to an international school so grew up playing it)

Once I did get used to the stoppage time it was fantastic. The action is spaced out but it is truly spectacular. The impacts, the skill, the tactics, the set plays etc are really something to behold. It is crazy that the players only play one position offensive or defensive but it means they are incredibly good at the specific thing they do. The stoppages mean most players don't need to focus on fitness and can be truly enourmous, powerful blokes in the positions that require it.
I don't think any sport has highlights quite as impressive as NFL.

I don't find it as exciting as league, but if you can force yourself to sit down long enough to get used it, its well worth it.
It's great to have it on cable TV at this time of year when there is no league to watch. Some of the games are on live from about lunch time Sydney time.

innsaneink

Referee
Redback71 said:
not a bad touchdown (try) talk about orgasmic what is the commentator on. cant get over how many many players they use, did they all take part in the game.

by the way when is the rabbitohs vs leeds game on over in the USA anyone know if they will be showing it on tv in Australia.

Fox doing it LIVE

blain

Juniors
it looks like an under 12s rugby game on the buzzer. if you get tackled throw the ball.

beave

Coach
thats nothing, I have seen him on either Xmas day or Xmas eve, scores a touchdown, runs to the sideline, chucks on a santa hat, grabbed a big bag of toys and ran into the crowd giving out pressies, weird, weird human being.

alien

Referee
beave said:
thats nothing, I have seen him on either Xmas day or Xmas eve, scores a touchdown, runs to the sideline, chucks on a santa hat, grabbed a big bag of toys and ran into the crowd giving out pressies, weird, weird human being.

hehehehehehe

Gee_Up

Juniors
Eelementary said:

I can tell you getting hit by 3-4 100kg+ blokes from different angles at the same time isn't fun. I'd rather get hit by one 140kg guy diving at me head first any day.

Great game to watch but not as good as League IMO.

Latest posts