What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You Am I- calling it a day?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
nöyd said:
Face it Ron, Tim Rogers or You Am I don't suck because they don't get played over and over again on mainstream radio stations, they aren't on the iPod playlists of 14 year old girls, hence they aren't trendy or popular, if they were they would suck and nobody here would like them, or openly admit they do.

On these boards writing/singing/playing popular music means you suck and must be hated upon. If You Am I came out with a number 1 chartbusting album (and then maybe my asshole will learn to chew gum) then their all-knowing, all-loving fanboys that reside in this thread would turn tail and wipe them like a dirty arse.

Hey noyd just remember also they must be cool and talented because they play alot of acoustic and dont talk about cool things like girls etc or play the guitar in the way eddie does so that too must be cool and tthey were influenced buy the Ramones and Smiths cause that's percieved by the English and Rolling Stones as cool and hair rock isn't plus playing out at Newtown is cool yet LA isn't so yeah that must be cool:lol:

HevyDevy

Coach
fish eel said:
its called hair rock because they had to name the genre after the look, rather than the music because the music was lacking in subsrance tbh.

Now that's just a ridiculous comment fish eel.

Like every single genre on the planet (except pop, which is all crap), there were crap c**k rock bands and superb ones. Don't generalise.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Agree, You Am I were a crap c**k rock band tbh

No seriously like any genre there were some crap as well eg Twisted Sister, Warrant etc but the majority were unreal eg Motely Crue, Ratt, Poison, Gunners, Van Halen, LA Guns, Dokken, WASP etc

f**k i love WASP at the moment, what a band!

miniHINDY

Juniors
I'd say 95% of Australian rock 'n roll bands if you asked them, they'd say that You Am I were massive influences.

fish eel

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
No seriously like any genre there were some crap as well eg Twisted Sister, Warrant etc

Warrant though sold a lot of records and had some hit singles. So by your rationale, they couldnt have been crap!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
miniHINDY said:
I'd say 95% of Australian rock 'n roll bands if you asked them, they'd say that You Am I were massive influences.

And what bands are they? and how have they gone internationally? who cares if they sold some albums in Naru or Tasmania.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
fish eel said:
Warrant though sold a lot of records and had some hit singles. So by your rationale, they couldnt have been crap!

Warrant had one song and didn't perform the lead on there songs alot of the time, pretty sure CC Devile did cherry pie guitar solo.

fish eel

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
Warrant had one song and didn't perform the lead on there songs alot of the time, pretty sure CC Devile did cherry pie guitar solo.

but still Ron. They sold records. So they had to be good. Thats your benchmark afterall. ;-)

carcharias

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
And what bands are they? and how have they gone internationally? who cares if they sold some albums in Naru or Tasmania.
Jet
Silverchair...they named themselves after a You Am I song.

Soundgarden saw YAI play in Aus and took them to the US twice as their support act.
as did Oasis and Sonic youth and the lemonheads.
YAI supported the rolling stones.
YAI also played at Crowded House famous opera house gig....On Neil Finns insistance.

Not to mention they played all dates of the Lollapalooza gigs in the US in 96.

bands that have supported YAI are The Strokes, youth group , the vines and eskimo joe to name a few.

so once again Ron you have displayed a complete lack of knowledge on this subject.

Red Bear

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
ratt.jpg

newyorkdolls.jpg

Didn't use enough hair spray and never wore suits.
Glam metal was alot gayer

skeepe

Immortal
Who gives a sh*t if a band doesn't get to number 1 in the US? Savage Garden did, would you call them a great band?

I think Australia has had plenty of great bands lately - bands that are an absolute joy to both listen to in recorded form, and absolutely go off live.

You Am I, The Living End, Grinspoon, Bodyjar, Jebediah, Powderfinger, Silverchair, 28 Days, Gyroscope... yeah, some of these bands haven't even been that successful on the Australian charts let alone the US charts, but so f**king what? They're fantastic, and at the very least the equal of anything that comes out of the US f**king A.

fish eel

Immortal
sportive cupid said:
And who do You am I say are their influences????

The Replacements. A wonderful band, with great songs that sold no records.

BTW, are you and Mini going to the metro?

skeepe

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
So what you're saying Skeeps is that you're not that fussy ...

On the contrary, I'm extremely fussy about my music. But I don't equate good to popular like you and Ron seem to want to.

sportive cupid

Referee
fish eel said:
The Replacements. A wonderful band, with great songs that sold no records.

BTW, are you and Mini going to the metro?
mini has been at me to buy the tickets before they sell out.,are you going?

HevyDevy

Coach
skeepe said:
On the contrary, I'm extremely fussy about my music. But I don't equate good to popular like you and Ron seem to want to.

:lol: I hooked one!

Read back over my posts Skeepe - I seem to recall disagreeing when Ron made that particular point.