What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Eels game

King-Gutho94

Coach
The first game I remember attending was the double header in 1999 when the Olympic stadium opened up I would have been 4 years old then as that game was in March going off the match summary.

Went with my parents, grandparents and younger brother and they bought me the blue parra Asics jersey to wear to the game.

We played St George Illawarra that night and there was over 100k at the game.

I remember attending some games that year at Parramatta stadium and the semi finals against Newcastle and Melbourne but that night at homebush stood out in my memory due to fireworks and such a big crowd when your a youngster.

Parents got me a season ticket in 2000 and have remained one ever since even though my ticket says 2008.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The first game I remember attending was the double header in 1999 when the Olympic stadium opened up I would have been 4 years old then as that game was in March going off the match summary.

Went with my parents, grandparents and younger brother and they bought me the blue parra Asics jersey to wear to the game.

We played St George Illawarra that night and there was over 100k at the game.

I remember attending some games that year at Parramatta stadium and the semi finals against Newcastle and Melbourne but that night at homebush stood out in my memory due to fireworks and such a big crowd when your a youngster.

Parents got me a season ticket in 2000 and have remained one ever since even though my ticket says 2008.
I was at that game.

DaveMc

Juniors
First one for me was v Souths at Parra Stadium in, I think, 1994. Craig Field was on fire, and we got belted.

Getting smashed by Souths … the more things change.

eels_fan

First Grade
Mine was early 1998 at Parra Stadium. Prior to that I watched footy relatively sparsely. Family were life long Eels supporters but didn’t go to games. The Company my dad worked for had seats in the corporate lounge so it was a fun intro to footy. I would have been 13 at the time.

Got my big league program signed by Sterlo, Fatty and Blocker who walked the sideline before the game. Then after the game an Eels staff member came around and asked if any of the kids wanted to come down to the dressing rooms to meet the players - so got to go down and meet the likes of Jason Smith, Jim Dymock, Pay, very young Hindy & Cayless etc which was just fantastic. Entire team signed the match page in the big league mag for me. I was a lifelong supporter after that and didn’t miss another home game until 2006 when I moved to the Gold Coast.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was too young to remember my first Eels game, because I was a baby, but I do remember one from maybe 1981. I mostly remember walking around the back of the grandstand to our spot at some old suburban ground. That might’ve been my last game before we moved away from Sydney. My next live game would’ve been in 1988 at Parra Stadium.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I have very clear memories of the opening game at Parra Stadium in 1986. I have been to Cumberland but I would have been very young then.

The earliest game I remember being at was the 1985 Preliminary Final where the Dogs beat us 26-0 nil. Well, I was there for a while until the old man cracked the shits and we all had to leave. The only time I ever remember him doing that. The charger would have broken a land speed record racing back to Wakeley.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
My first Eels game was and Penrith Park. I'd do rolly polies down the hill.
Dad would make us watch all 3 grades and get his moneys worth. If you wanted to go to the footy you could but had to do the whole 6hrs.
Come to think of it he was probably using that as a way to detour us from wanting to go.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
too young to remember, sometime in the 60s sitting in the Cumberland Oval grandstand with my schoolmates/footy teammates every second Saturday arvo

lived in Nth Parra

Rocket man

Juniors
Late sixties was my first game. I was 8 or 9 years old. I think it was against Balmain.
I would walk through Parra Park from Westmead. We would look for something to use and ride down the hill in the park then cross the foot bridge over the river. We would also jump off the same bridge to swim when it was warmer.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Sometime around 96 i think. I cant remember the exact game. Parra stadium V Crushers or Chargers maybe. I went with my dad and Pa IIRC. I remember liking Chrissy Lawler and getting some free footy cards when coming into the ground. Prob why i still collect them today.
Years later i became a season ticket holder and ended up working at the Stadium.
Great times.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Easy to remember for me

Sunday 23rd August 1981
Rd21: Parra v Roosters at SCG

Was lucky my High School was very big on league, and a teacher would hire a mini bus and take about 8 of us to the footy (and Shield cricket).

Mr Bell (my maths teacher) took a group of us to this game (he was an American but huge eels fan).
We sat in the Sheridan stand , which I think now is the Bill Oreilly stand. First thing that struck me when players ran on the field is how small Parra was compared to the Roosters. Chooks ended up winning the minor premiership that year and were clear favourites for the title, probably on par to how Penrith are these days.

We got belted 20-6. Scoreline was a little flattering . I was in awe of the chooks. No chance we were beating them that year. Too fast, too strong, too big. They also beat us earlier in the year. We left about 5min before game ended as was easier for Mr Bell to marshall all the troops back in the mini van than wait for FT (crowd was over 30k). Got right ole gobful (nothing bad or abusive) from Chooks supporters as we were leaving, had my Parra jersey on, couple of other mates had chooks kit. The Rest were in plain jane attire lol

That year, 1981. Was the first time I played league. Was made captain. Probably on the back of my touch footy skills the year before, and that I had no fear in a couple trial games. I played prop, only year I played that position (lock forward after that as I idolised Ray Price). Back then you played all game, only taken off if you were injured or coach thought you needed replacing. We won the regional comp that year for the School, and Parra ended up winning their first premiership (inc revenge on the chooks in the major semi final). Life was much simpler back then and in a lot of ways more fun and authentic with no internet and little tv